Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

So I joined the Public Library

Print  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Who would have thought Killing time at work would lead to such a thing. I was reading my Groupon Emails and I found these online courses called Universal Class. I did a goggle search for reviews and found that a lot of public libraries offer it for FREE. I found one in my area that participates and I am now the proud owner of a library card.

LINK

Anyone ever used or heard of this? The classes do not go towards college credits but one would think they will help you gain some knowledge. I'm going to use it for the Adobe and Excel classes. Any ways thought it looked cool figured I'd share with my buddies.

Post #1   7/12/13 8:03:33AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Kinda funny that you posted this. For a while, I have been thinking about making a Free Online Course thread. There are so many free resources on the web now, that I figured it would be worth pooling the info. Between the education bubble and the internet, universities are sure to take a hit in the upcoming years. It's better for consumers/students as a whole though in the long run, as a post-HS education is not affordable for many people. I'd post some additional info, but it's on my home computer.

Post #2   7/12/13 8:11:56AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Kinda funny that you posted this. For a while, I have been thinking about making a Free Online Course thread. There are so many free resources on the web now, that I figured it would be worth pooling the info. Between the education bubble and the internet, universities are sure to take a hit in the upcoming years. It's better for consumers/students as a whole though in the long run, as a post-HS education is not affordable for many people. I'd post some additional info, but it's on my home computer.

I disagree to an extent. On one hand you can't really question the merits of free educational tools, but it will never replace the hands on experience you get with a college education.

Post #3   7/12/13 11:48:06AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by grappler0000

I disagree to an extent. On one hand you can't really question the merits of free educational tools, but it will never replace the hands on experience you get with a college education.

You can't replace the paper you receive from a college. I don't feel College does a very good job at "Hands on Experiance". I didn't go to college and now I'm running the same business I started working at after HS. I really enjoy doing online classes and webinars. I'll take them over tens of thousands of dollars (if not hundreds) in student loan debt

Post #4   7/12/13 12:00:45PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by grappler0000

Oh, I'm not suggesting Universities are going the way of the dinosaur...just that there's gonna be a major shakeup in the coming years. Tuition and loan rates continue to climb, while the degree is losing value at a similar rate. There's a definitive bubble...and bubbles always burst. Always. It's just a matter of when. This is a long time coming though. There are already several fields/occupations that no longer require a degree. And that number is growing. Add the fact that certifications, online courses, CBT's, and other alternative methods for education are becoming widely accepted, and you see the writing on the wall.

Of course, for every journalist or programmer that can learn his craft without a classroom, there's still nurses, law enforcement, etc. that will always need some sort of traditional classroom experience. For several jobs though, there's an evolution already in place. Most schools already offer online courses for select subjects, to accommodate students. Completely online college? It's already here and been in practice for years now. And the number of free online courses and providers is approaching the point where it can begin to make an impact on the system as a whole. Just as an example, Khan Academy has thousands of free courses available online. And I've had their IPTV app for at least for a couple/few years now, which means they've been around even longer. I know MIT has some sort of similar setup and we're seeing more all the time.

Things will change drastically in the next 5-10 years. It's already in progress...once that bubble pops though, it's on. Paradigm shifts are sometimes hard to identify and/or accept, but if you are close enough to the situation, it's can be equally difficult to deny/ignore what is changing.

Post #5   7/12/13 2:04:45PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I print out my Ufc event pick sheets at the library
Too cheap to use my own printer ink on them

Post #6   7/12/13 2:28:26PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
Free Online University Receives Accreditation

Post #7   4/28/14 10:37:06PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
COURSERA is a really nice option too. The classes are offered by professors from legit Universities, they have a ton of options, and you just need a computer and internet (I believe some courses suggest some reading but the majority post their materials online).

Last edited 4/28/14 11:04PM server time by Ordep
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/28/14 11:03:51PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I go every week to print out picks
And coupons if I need them. Also I enjoy the long walk there

Post #9   4/29/14 9:59:04AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:2,011-1,179
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by warglory

Posted by grappler0000

You can't replace the paper you receive from a college. I don't feel College does a very good job at "Hands on Experiance". I didn't go to college and now I'm running the same business I started working at after HS. I really enjoy doing online classes and webinars. I'll take them over tens of thousands of dollars (if not hundreds) in student loan debt

Adobe Illustrator? You like graphic art design webinars ?

Post #10   4/29/14 6:53:13PM