Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Liddell: 'Don't complain to me about fighter pay'

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Chuck Liddell talks about his job and the recent complaints of low pay from current UFC fighters.

Link

Post #1   7/10/13 2:33:14PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
I love me some Chuck, but when you are routinely paid half a million to simply step in the octagon while on a considerable career slide obviously you won't have many negative things to say.

What irks me is how everyone jabbers about how it's a performance based sport when it is painfully obvious that isn't true. If you pay the lesser known but up and coming guys it is an investment in the future of the promotion. Maybe I'm just an old school guy who sees the benefits of investing in ones future.

Post #2   7/10/13 2:50:23PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I love me some Chuck, but when you are routinely paid half a million to simply step in the octagon while on a considerable career slide obviously you won't have many negative things to say.

What irks me is how everyone jabbers about how it's a performance based sport when it is painfully obvious that isn't true. If you pay the lesser known but up and coming guys it is an investment in the future of the promotion. Maybe I'm just an old school guy who sees the benefits of investing in ones future.

BOOOOOOOOM! Knowledge bomb! I don't see how anyone else can't see this!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   7/10/13 3:03:11PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I completely disagree with the way the UFC pays and promotes it's fighters.

While we don't know what these so-called "locker room bonuses" look like, figures wise, those 6/6 and 8/8 contracts look pretty shitty to me. Airfare. Hotel. Camp/training partners. Taxes. Etc. That's all got to get paid before the fighter sees their money.

Sure, there is sponsorship. But again, who knows how much the guys on Facebook get for their sponsors. Maybe it's just an equipment deal.

I'd like to see a base pay of like at least $20,000. If it IS a performance based business, maybe we should see shorter, more incentive based contracts. Maybe you make your debut, make a big showing and get some hype for yourself, next fight you get $40k.

Let's see this company, that is allegedly making so much money, spread it around a little more to the guys that put their body on the line for it. Sure, the insurance policy is awesome, and no doubt quite costly. So let's see them figure out how to promote the 20-26 fighters that are on their fucking fight card so that they can get some sponsors, and so that casual fans WILL know who these fighters are. It's mutually beneficial.

Post #4   7/10/13 3:46:45PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Who doesn't know this? Obviously it isn't JUST performance base. Yes performance does matter. However, the UFC is a business. If you make them more money, you will make more money. In order for them to make more money they have to be entertaining. Entertaining fighters will always make more money. If anyone claims they don't know this, they are just ignorant of reality. That is how the world works.

It isn't about putting your body on the line, or doing what's "right". You create your own value in the world. We all know how the world works. Don't complain about how the world works and keep doing things your own way, you'll lose every time. This is a private, for-profit business. The more money you make them, the more money you make. There is a reason why fighters like Jon Fitch did not make as much as they "should". Personally, I liked watching his fights, but the vast majority of people being sold this product do NOT. He will never draw a big crowd as a headliner and the only reason he did once was because his opponent was the most popular fighter alive.

Last edited 7/10/13 4:28PM server time by imanidiot777
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   7/10/13 4:25:04PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I have nothing wrong with the pay scale. The athletes choose to sign the contracts and fight for the UFC. If they do not like it, they can shop their service elsewhere just like anyone else who works for a living.

Also, by definition, someone who gets paid to fight is technically a professional fighter, but in reality you are not a professional fighter unless you make enough where that is your fulltime job. Just like in all the other major professional sports - football, baseball, basketball and even soccer - there are drastic levels of pay between the stars and those in the semi-professional or minor leagues. In most professional sports, if you are a low level athlete - whether they call it the minor leagues or semi-pro, you have a second job to support your dream.

Post #6   7/10/13 4:30:58PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by airkerma

Who doesn't know this? Obviously it isn't JUST performance base. Yes performance does matter. However, the UFC is a business. If you make them more money, you will make more money. In order for them to make more money they have to be entertaining. Entertaining fighters will always make more money. If anyone claims they don't know this, they are just ignorant of reality. That is how the world works.

It isn't about putting your body on the line, or doing what's "right". You create your own value in the world. We all know how the world works. Don't complain about how the world works and keep doing things your own way, you'll lose every time. This is a private, for-profit business. The more money you make them, the more money you make. There is a reason why fighters like Jon Fitch did not make as much as they "should". Personally, I liked watching his fights, but the vast majority of people being sold this product do NOT. He will never draw a big crowd as a headliner and the only reason he did once was because his opponent was the most popular fighter alive.

You either didn't read the article or your handle is accurate...maybe both. From Chuck as quoted from the cited article: "These guys have got to understand, this is a performance based sport, like all sports"

Last edited 7/10/13 5:16PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   7/10/13 5:15:59PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

You either didn't read the article or your handle is accurate...maybe both. From Chuck as quoted from the cited article: "These guys have got to understand, this is a performance based sport, like all sports"

Oh I read it. I just don't care what Chuck says. What Chuck says is not reality. Reality is that it is a business. Chuck is entirely wrong and Jon Fitch is the prime example of why he is wrong. That said, I don't understand why anyone expects any different. That is how the world works.

Post #8   7/10/13 5:37:18PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I understand the argument for a free-market but the bottom line is: if the UFC doesn't start paying fighters we will continue to get the dregs from other sports. Already, we are getting football players that couldn't make the cut. If fighters in the UFC don't make enough for living expenses and training camp we will never get the caliber fighters we desire.

Just think about the fact Jose Aldo was tinkering with the idea of professional soccer and Jon Jones comes from a family of athletes. If the UFC started paying boxing money we could start poaching amazing athletes from other sports or at least make the idea feasible to the athlete.

Maybe it's just me but it seems bizarre that Bellator's former HW champ Cole Slaw Conrad left mma to become a master dairy farmer. MMA should pay enough so dairy farmers don't poach our champs.

Post #9   7/10/13 5:41:04PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I completely disagree with the way the UFC pays and promotes it's fighters.

While we don't know what these so-called "locker room bonuses" look like, figures wise, those 6/6 and 8/8 contracts look pretty shitty to me. Airfare. Hotel. Camp/training partners. Taxes. Etc. That's all got to get paid before the fighter sees their money.

Sure, there is sponsorship. But again, who knows how much the guys on Facebook get for their sponsors. Maybe it's just an equipment deal.

I'd like to see a base pay of like at least $20,000. If it IS a performance based business, maybe we should see shorter, more incentive based contracts. Maybe you make your debut, make a big showing and get some hype for yourself, next fight you get $40k.

Let's see this company, that is allegedly making so much money, spread it around a little more to the guys that put their body on the line for it. Sure, the insurance policy is awesome, and no doubt quite costly. So let's see them figure out how to promote the 20-26 fighters that are on their fucking fight card so that they can get some sponsors, and so that casual fans WILL know who these fighters are. It's mutually beneficial.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   7/11/13 3:11:03PM