Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Am I a douche for thinking this way...?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,199-717
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So basically I know a person who's got a 10k run in x amount of days and all her social network sites are filled with requests to donate to her
Now that's understandable.

But when people start sending requests out to celebrities and they get retweets this is where it starts to annoy me. I understand its probably for a good cause but deep down I'm looking at it thinking 10K?!!? Woopdie freaken do.

It isn't a significant distance and its not exactly strenuous or going to kill you.

Using the whole "I can't run" angle is understandable but when your using the "I don't exercise" angle it's just like well that's your own fault for being out of shape. If you did exercise you could do a decent distance and probably get more support. (she's using the whole "I don't exercise thing"

I'm not doing my Triathalon for charity as its been my dream to achieve one. My Triathalons running session is 10k, that's on top of the swim and cycle.

What do you guys feel. I mean I would never say to the person I'm not gonna sponsor you as you're doing a small distance, in fact I volunteer at a charity shop every so often! But does the amount you donate depend on the challenge? Do you get annoyed when people pester celebrities for RT's when the causes are wrong or the challenge is small.

Maybe I'm just being a negative and inconsiderate douche but my view is if your going to pester people for support at least choose something that's a challenge. I'd rather go to a charity shop and pay x amount and get something from it than donate x amount on her petit personal challenge.

(for the record 10k is 6.2 miles so its not even a quarter of a marathon)

Last edited 7/8/13 12:55PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #1   7/8/13 12:51:24PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I pretty much hate it when anyone asks me to donate. Not because Im a dick but because of the gross misuse of funds by a large portion of the the non profit sector.

Post #2   7/8/13 1:41:36PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
In short, yes.

First off, you said you'd rather donate money to get a hat or something than help someone be encouraged to reach a personal goal because you don't feel the goal is worthy. That's a rather shitty line of thinking.

Also, challenge is all relative. This 10k is going to be murder on her if she doesn't exercise, and therefore an extraordinary challenge. There are people out there who would be dismissive of your triathlon in the same manner, because they've been there and done that as well.

You started your journey to compete in a triathlon at the same point she started her journey to do a 10k. From nothing. Don't be petty and dismissive of her journey because it's a path you've already trod on.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   7/8/13 2:03:44PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,850-1,476
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Maybe I misread, but is she running for a charity or just running and having people donate money to her?

Post #4   7/8/13 3:10:53PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

In short, yes.

First off, you said you'd rather donate money to get a hat or something than help someone be encouraged to reach a personal goal because you don't feel the goal is worthy. That's a rather shitty line of thinking..

I donated money to Ray when he did a 75 mile cycle and donated money to marathon runners, half marathon runners, triathletes etc in the past, so long as I know you and I think, that's something challenging I donate.

Posted by Svartorm

Also, challenge is all relative. This 10k is going to be murder on her if she doesn't exercise, and therefore an extraordinary challenge. There are people out there who would be dismissive of your triathlon in the same manner, because they've been there and done that as well.

I see your point but I know other people who have gone from nothing to marathons, In my head I feel yes challenge is all relative but its not my fault she's a healthy individual who has no disabilities she's just lazy and hasn't done exercise.

Posted by Svartorm

You started your journey to compete in a triathlon at the same point she started her journey to do a 10k. From nothing. Don't be petty and dismissive of her journey because it's a path you've already trod on.

I started with a half marathon but that's off topic.

Either way man, thanks for replying

And if someone else calls me a douche ill donate haha

Last edited 7/8/13 4:27PM server time by jjeans

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Post #5   7/8/13 4:26:08PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Maybe I misread, but is she running for a charity or just running and having people donate money to her?

She's doing it for charity

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Post #6   7/8/13 4:34:25PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,850-1,476
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Shawn91111

She's doing it for charity

really what difference if its 10k or 10 ft, its all for charity

Post #7   7/8/13 5:03:55PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If she was "walking" for charity, would your head explode? Better yet, what if no sacrifice was being made...what if she was just asking for donations for the charity?

Post #8   7/8/13 5:21:54PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 39-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,604-1,008
Chips:

Am I a douche

yes.

Post #9   7/8/13 5:27:29PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

If she was "walking" for charity, would your head explode? Better yet, what if no sacrifice was being made...what if she was just asking for donations for the charity?

That's a good point. Yeah hadn't thought about that.

I guess I over evaluated it... I just feel she's making a big deal of the fact she's running and that kinda wound me up.

I see I definitely am being a douche

EDIT: Just donated

Last edited 7/8/13 5:39PM server time by jjeans

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Post #10   7/8/13 5:38:29PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,096-637
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

There is a mild difference but it's due to ego and social media. I feel that there is a great deal of people who do this as a way to subtly brag. "Oh I'm training for this 10k for charity" and they update nearly every day that they're doing something good. I definitely feel that there is a portion who do it for attention, and they stick out more than those who do not. Really though, if I decide to drop 100$ on a charity is that somehow less important than the person who asks others for donations to go on a jog? Rarely do people bring up the fact that they made a donation vs those who bring up that they're running/walking/etc for charity. I realize that it helps to raise awareness, but like I said, I think there's a good amount who want to be recognized for a good deed instead of just doing it.

Post #11   7/8/13 6:15:21PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:
What Airkerma said is kinda what I mean. It feels like she's doing it for the attention of look at me running, and look at me doing something good.

Then going and getting RT's off celebrities makes me think, who are you really doing it for? Charity or just for your ego that your getting Celebrities to acknowledge you.

She's not going out on the street with a bucket, asking locals who might donate. She's messaging the cyber world and surprisingly despite a couple of RTs all her donations are friends.

Is she really expecting money from people being like ahh good luck random person I don't know. Or is she just doing it to say "So and So retweeted me! How cool"

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Post #12   7/8/13 6:22:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

What Airkerma said is kinda what I mean. It feels like she's doing it for the attention of look at me running, and look at me doing something good.

Then going and getting RT's off celebrities makes me think, who are you really doing it for? Charity or just for your ego that your getting Celebrities to acknowledge you.

She's not going out on the street with a bucket, asking locals who might donate. She's messaging the cyber world and surprisingly despite a couple of RTs all her donations are friends.

Is she really expecting money from people being like ahh good luck random person I don't know. Or is she just doing it to say "So and So retweeted me! How cool"

I'm not gonna say there's nothing to what you just said, but you spent 95% of your original post making it about the distance. You made it seem as though a bump up to a Half Marathon would've nullified any issue you had.

As far as whoring on social media goes, that's pretty much 80% of what Twitter is.

Post #13   7/8/13 7:07:15PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by grappler0000

There is a mild difference but it's due to ego and social media. I feel that there is a great deal of people who do this as a way to subtly brag. "Oh I'm training for this 10k for charity" and they update nearly every day that they're doing something good. I definitely feel that there is a portion who do it for attention, and they stick out more than those who do not. Really though, if I decide to drop 100$ on a charity is that somehow less important than the person who asks others for donations to go on a jog? Rarely do people bring up the fact that they made a donation vs those who bring up that they're running/walking/etc for charity. I realize that it helps to raise awareness, but like I said, I think there's a good amount who want to be recognized for a good deed instead of just doing it.

Excellent point made.

Some people make donations because they sincerely want to help. Others make donations because they feel obligated or pressured to do so. And then there is the group who make donations to benefit themselves. I am somewhere between group one and two.

Post #14   7/8/13 10:01:18PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:919-578
Chips:
Love you Jay, but you come across very holier than thou in the post.

Just because you've reached a higher level of fitness and also help charities, doesn't mean everyone running less than you is worthless... it's not like they aren't trying, 10km is still a good workout.

Post #15   7/8/13 11:34:22PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2