Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva will not be champion again...

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
...and it's not because of a lack of skill. While I don't think that Silva took a dive in his fight against Weidman, I really think he just stopped caring and just coasted. He really didn't care that he lost, you could tell from his voice and his demeanor. He was happy to move on with his life. If Silva wanted to eliminate Weidman, I think he probably could have done so. As Rogan said after, the stress he must have been under for over 7 years must have been harsh.

Post #1   7/7/13 12:59:02AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:484-292
Chips:
I will say this, the walk-ins for Weidman looked very upbeat his team was excited and had a lot of energy, and Anderson's team looked like they were showing up to a funeral, and in the cage they were spending all that time hugging and praying or talking...This was just bizarre night. I'm not sure if Anderson even want's to fight for the bet, I would love to see him fight again, hopefully something interests him.

Last edited 7/7/13 1:38AM server time by frizzzlecake
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/7/13 1:18:08AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
the guy imo was just preaching damage control because of how bad he was being booed at the end. The guy has a big ego. he was TRYING to look too cool for school and instead got cought with his pants down. after he goes on and on about how much he loves the U.S. Really guy? Why don't you tell us how you really feel. If you think that loss doesn't bother him your crazy

Post #3   7/7/13 1:19:10AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:
Well I wouldn't say it doesn't bother him, I highly doubt he wanted to go out in that manner, and maybe he didn't truly want to lose, I don't know, but the man was not the same person we've seen in the past. It was just incredibly uncharacteristically reckless of him to do that against a fighter he knows has a lot of power.

I think that Chael Sonnen's striking was better than Weidman's, and you could tell when he stood with Chael that he really wanted to stomp his ass, in both fights.

I mean what did Anderson have left to fight for? He'd been champ for 7 years, undefeated, and quite rich with a beautiful family. I think it's totally reasonable to believe he walked into this fight with some sort of expectation of how he wanted to perform, and if he got caught, oh well.

Post #4   7/7/13 1:25:31AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
he did the same stuff to bonnar though. and to pretty much all of his other opponents

what makes this fight any different then when hes showboating and taunting in the others? Hmmm maybe him finally getting knocked out??

would you be saying the same thing had silva been knocked out by bonnar when he was acting like a tool against the fence?

My point is just that Silva has always showboated and taunted and he did basically nothing different in this fight then any of his other ones EXCEPT get knocked out and lose

Post #5   7/7/13 1:28:47AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree with you that he just didn't want it. He was playing around and being dumb, and he paid for it. He thought he was invincible and he got proven wrong.

But if Dana can talk him into a rematch, he will absolutely be champion again.

Post #6   7/7/13 1:34:43AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

he did the same stuff to bonnar though. and to pretty much all of his other opponents

what makes this fight any different then when hes showboating and taunting in the others? Hmmm maybe him finally getting knocked out??

would you be saying the same thing had silva been knocked out by bonnar when he was acting like a tool against the fence?

My point is just that Silva has always showboated and taunted and he did basically nothing different in this fight then any of his other ones EXCEPT get knocked out and lose

I disagree, I think Silva was reckless. Silva has always showboated, yes, but he never allows unanswered blows, and he let Chris punch him on several occasions. Again, I don't think he was intending on throwing a fight here, but I think he fully intended on going in and being reckless and putting on a show. And his interview afterwards seemed genuine to me, but who knows.

Post #7   7/7/13 1:36:46AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I felt like the showboating and recklessness was a ploy to get Weidman to stand with him. A ploy that worked well in the 2nd half of the 1st round, as Weidman stopped trying to take him down and instead started lunging in with punches.

I don't think he felt like he was in any danger, and I think after Weidman hit him the first few times he genuinely didn't think it was possible that he would get caught.

I also think he was pretty genuine in his post fight comments. Even if he won the rematch there would then be a rubber match and by that point there would probably be a new up and comer he'd be asked to fight.

At least with him no longer having a belt to protect he can take some bigger fights

Post #8   7/7/13 2:10:04AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Chips:
I think if they do rematch, Silva will knock Weidman out. I'd be willing to bet my avatar on it

Post #9   7/7/13 2:22:18AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

I think if they do rematch, Silva will knock Weidman out. I'd be willing to bet my avatar on it

Seeing as I took Weidman in my AV bet this time ill take you up on that offer.

Post #10   7/7/13 2:37:22AM   

Johngingerwood

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Hello everyone, im new here. But a rematch would be interesting. I wonder what a motivated Silva would look like? You cant always have your hands dropped and expect not to get KO.

Weidman did the right thing, he kept going forward and didnt let Silvas mind games mess with him. Sonnen did lay the blue print. Dont be afraid.

Post #11   7/7/13 3:04:58AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think it's like when you've played a video game so long,and you get so good,you eventually start slipping on purpose just to make it interesting again.

Post #12   7/7/13 8:06:39AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I felt like the showboating and recklessness was a ploy to get Weidman to stand with him. A ploy that worked well in the 2nd half of the 1st round, as Weidman stopped trying to take him down and instead started lunging in with punches.

I don't think he felt like he was in any danger, and I think after Weidman hit him the first few times he genuinely didn't think it was possible that he would get caught.

I also think he was pretty genuine in his post fight comments. Even if he won the rematch there would then be a rubber match and by that point there would probably be a new up and comer he'd be asked to fight.

At least with him no longer having a belt to protect he can take some bigger fights

I agree with this post.

Post #13   7/7/13 8:17:05AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Chips:
Rematch Silva doesn't show bout and beats weidman

But big question is whether or not Silva wants to be middleweight champ again

I say move up to 205 take some fights.

Have weidman face people like chael maybe rashad or machida drops to 185 now.

Stress is gone now to be the best. He can just fight

Post #14   7/7/13 9:13:35AM   

cmvideo75

Learning to Sprawl

cmvideo75 Avatar

Career:339-208
Camp: Frontline
Chips:
Flashy G is right on with his post. I think the showboating was all because of the first 3 minutes. Anderson realized that this wasn't Chael on top of him in this fight and went into idiot mode to try to bait Weidman into a stand up fight, which he did.

He probably felt that he is the best striker in MMA and he would clown Weidman like he has so many others with the showboating. Only he got caught. And it was beautiful.

I agree with Prozac too.. I think Machida moves down and takes the belt eventually. If Jones is sticking around at LHW, Machida will drop now that his boy is out of the way.

Last edited 7/7/13 9:34AM server time by cmvideo75
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   7/7/13 9:33:38AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3