Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Texas teen makes violent joke during video game, is jailed for months

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,926-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
A Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

In February, Justin Carter was playing “League of Legends” — an online, multiplayer fantasy game — when another player wrote a comment calling him insane. Carter’s response, which he now deeply regrets, was intended as joke.

“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,” said Jack Carter, Justin’s father, in a statement to a local news channel.

Link

Post #1   6/30/13 12:30:27AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,926-1,070
Chips:
It was in bad taste but I don't see how someone can interpret the comment as anything other than sarcastic. The kid even put "lol" and "jk" behind it. IMO the insane one is the random individual who was randomly reading the conversation and felt the need to dig deep enough to find the kid's address and pinpoint the nearest elementary school.

Post #2   6/30/13 12:36:05AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,545-942
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

It was in bad taste but I don't see how someone can interpret the comment as anything other than sarcastic. The kid even put "lol" and "jk" behind it. IMO the insane one is the random individual who was randomly reading the conversation and felt the need to dig deep enough to find the kid's address and pinpoint the nearest elementary school.

Agreed. When kids are getting punished like this for jokes, poor taste or not, you've got to step back and look at things like "Hey, do you think we might be over reacting a bit here?" Sure, in light of the events in Connecticut and the boston bombing, I understand being a little trigger happy, and I'd even understand if they began an investigation into things to assess whether or not there is a legitimate reason for concern over the kids comment. I might not agree with it, but I'd understand that reaction. However, for them to bypass the process and just lock the kid up for it, I don't agree with. Reminds me of an incident rather recently where I live. A guy, in a wheel chair, mind you, said it wouldn't be hard to shoot up the local schools and that there are little to no security measures in place to prevent any Tom, Dick, and Harry from doing so. The local police over reacted and arrested this 50 some odd year old man who can't even walk and threw him in jail. The guy had some kind of health problem and required pills for his heart or something to that effect, and they didn't even accommodate for his health and needless to say, 2 weeks or so later the guy had a heart attack and keeled over in jail without having ever had a trial date or anything so much as planned. Needless to say the guys family is now in the process of sewing the town for fuck-tons of money. People need to chill the hell out and smoke some pot to take the edge off or something.

Last edited 6/30/13 1:52AM server time by ufc_fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/30/13 1:52:10AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,284-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Typical scare tactic employed by "them"

Whens the bullshit finally gonna stop?

Post #4   6/30/13 2:18:34AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,096-637
Chips:
This is fucking stupid. I would wager that 50% of gamers do the same shit.
I do find it mildly amusing that this gestappo nonsense is happening in texas though

Post #5   6/30/13 8:09:46AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,347-1,299
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I could understand the initial over-reaction. But couldn't the police do a little homework here and maybe look through the kid's house (with the parent's permission of course) and see if there was anything suspicious going on in his room or basement...etc...) I'd think you could scare some sense into this young man (he was 18) with a night in jail and some community service.

Post #6   6/30/13 8:10:38AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Thank god shit wasn't this crazy when I was growing up. I would have been disappeared. I said a million similar things, ESPECIALLY while playing video games. That's just video game trash talk.

Post #7   6/30/13 11:11:27AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I have said worst things than that.
What ever happened to freedom of speech
Kid was joking.

Everyone online thinks there tough. Talk a lot of shit on gaming. Reason I won't do online gaming

Post #8   6/30/13 9:40:24PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
While this is a tragic example of government overreaching, I think there is a ton of historic precedent that shows government tends to overreact to new crises that arise that they really don't know how to deal with yet. Dealing with online threats is a difficult situation. Yes, there is a valid freedom of speech argument to be had, but those who pose serious risks to the public, also make statements online too. Finding a happy medium to really figure out how to weed out the would be threats is going to take some time, especially when there is a very sensitive public right now about very public acts of terrorism. This poor kid is an unfortunate byproduct of growing pains, that I can only hope is rectified.

Post #9   7/1/13 12:34:31PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,284-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by warglory

While this is a tragic example of government overreaching, I think there is a ton of historic precedent that shows government tends to overreact to new crises that arise that they really don't know how to deal with yet. Dealing with online threats is a difficult situation. Yes, there is a valid freedom of speech argument to be had, but those who pose serious risks to the public, also make statements online too. Finding a happy medium to really figure out how to weed out the would be threats is going to take some time, especially when there is a very sensitive public right now about very public acts of terrorism. This poor kid is an unfortunate byproduct of growing pains, that I can only hope is rectified.

i agree to a small extent. buy imo the whole terrorism argument is getting old.

the internet is some new thing that has just come out in the last 2 years. Its been around since pre-2000. It is of my opinion that there is no happy medium when it comes to the Internet without infringing upon basic civil liberties.

we spend billions on anti missile defense systems to protect our homeland and that isnt enough?

and when it comes to domestic threats wouldnt it be easier to spot "problem" people as they are being brought up through the school system?

the government isnt going about this the right way and im afraid they never will. because in the end the number of politicians that actually want to do good for this country are far outnumbered by the politicians that really only care about holding office

Last edited 7/1/13 4:32PM server time by George112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   7/1/13 2:17:20PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

There's a difference between overreaching and being flat wrong. It would take almost no effort to determine if this kid is serious or not instead of jailing him for something that I could experience in the next 5 minutes if I turned my headset on and played COD. I'm not sure how many times some kid said he was going to rape my mother (in an ironically prepubescent voice) online but I can count on zero fingers how many times one of them should have or were prosecuted. As much as we can argue about the good intentions of the governing body, there is little argument that invading video game forums to arrest random people isn't even in the same universe as sanity and logic. We shouldn't even have to bring up freedom of speech.

Post #11   7/1/13 4:27:53PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by warglory

There's a difference between overreaching and being flat wrong. It would take almost no effort to determine if this kid is serious or not instead of jailing him for something that I could experience in the next 5 minutes if I turned my headset on and played COD. I'm not sure how many times some kid said he was going to rape my mother (in an ironically prepubescent voice) online but I can count on zero fingers how many times one of them should have or were prosecuted. As much as we can argue about the good intentions of the governing body, there is little argument that invading video game forums to arrest random people isn't even in the same universe as sanity and logic. We shouldn't even have to bring up freedom of speech.

1. You can't yell fire at a movie theater.

2. You can't walk up and threaten someone on the street.

3. You can't make false accusations about people.

4. You can't lie to cops.

All of these are merely a few of the restrictions on freedom of speech. Americans don't have carte blanche to say whatever they want to say, despite what we may believe. Social media, while not "new," is definitely going through a revolution based on how interconnected people are in comparison to a decade ago. Twitter and FB posts can largely be seen by anyone. The repercussions of posting whatever the hell you want is finally becoming apparent. The actions on this kid are extreme, but this isn't a new thing in this country. We have a tendency to overreact when it's a situation where the public outcry is very apparent. This kid just happened to type the wrong thing in the wrong forum at the wrong time. I doubt he will serve anymore real time.

Post #12   7/1/13 7:18:03PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by airkerma

Posted by warglory

1. You can't yell fire at a movie theater.

2. You can't walk up and threaten someone on the street.

3. You can't make false accusations about people.

4. You can't lie to cops.

All of these are merely a few of the restrictions on freedom of speech. Americans don't have carte blanche to say whatever they want to say, despite what we may believe. Social media, while not "new," is definitely going through a revolution based on how interconnected people are in comparison to a decade ago. Twitter and FB posts can largely be seen by anyone. The repercussions of posting whatever the hell you want is finally becoming apparent. The actions on this kid are extreme, but this isn't a new thing in this country. We have a tendency to overreact when it's a situation where the public outcry is very apparent. This kid just happened to type the wrong thing in the wrong forum at the wrong time. I doubt he will serve anymore real time.

I said we shouldn't even have to bring up freedom of speech, not the other way around. I'm saying that if you're randomly patrolling gaming forums to police what people say, you aren't doing justice or the country a favor, you're stalking people to catch them saying something stupid. This is not an appropriate use of resources and doesn't make anyone safer. I'm not arguing in favor of or against freedom of speech, I'm saying they got this wrong, they know they got this wrong, they won't admit they got this wrong, and some stupid kid is doing time for something that ~50% of gamers do. The "threat" wasn't real which was apparent with the j/k + lol, which makes this even more pathetic. They are wasting time and money pretending they're saving kids from some cannibalistic League of Legends player. I find that more offensive than someone saying "freedom of speech doesn't pertain to everything".

Post #13   7/3/13 2:38:36PM