Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva Says BJ Penn is the Greatest Mixed Martial Artist of All Time

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:1,082-677
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
B-E-S-S bess.

Post #16   6/27/13 11:19:23AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,072-1,101
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The fuck is going on today?!?!
BJ Penn has won only 1 out of 6 of his past fights...one...homie fights, he is tough, but he refuses to do anything other than box which leaves glaring holes in his game. He gets outwrestled consistently by anyone even close to the top ten, and he is usually out shape. This is a key basic foundation of being a fighter, just being in shape.
Now the last three post I have read have been way off mark! BJ is the #1 P4P GOAT, Bellator raping Alvarez's career, and apparently Matt Brown can just simply beat down GSP. This is too much for me for one day. It makes me wish I still smoked weed.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that a fighter announced that he was going to fight in a new and lighter wt class after coming off a long time out due to a leg ligament injury.

There is only so much I can handle. How about some news like: Silva vs Jones has been signed and will be contested at LHW on NYE in Madison Square Garden.

Not only is this post extremely disrespectful but it is also inaccurate. Out wrestled consistently? That is so off I can't believe you claimed to watch Penn fight, like an above poster stated only gsp out wrestled him. His take down D is the only one of his skills that never diminished (he took Fitch down more then Jon took him down plus fights with Sherk, Hughes, & Sanchez show how off you are unless you are claiming they aren't top 10 when bj fought them) & to be honest I'm not sure what your beef with Penn is but lets show some respect. All the Penn haters loveeeeee to talk down his career because of his late career struggles but conventily forget that maybe Penn wouldn't have the losses he had if he took the GSp route & only stuck to one weight class. But that wasn't good enough for him he wanted to be the best fighting bigger men to prove his technique & skill was enough to overcome size. What other champions did/do that? Its funny were all clamoring for a super fight but the only champion to ever give us one by going up in weight class we love to bad mouth on the way out. I wish Fedor caught half the flack fans give Penn. This shows how fickle mma fans are & I'm not arguing Penn is the best ever but I do think your post was rude(& inaccurate) & expect it from an mma newbie not a huge fan from the playground.

Post #17   6/27/13 1:18:40PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:3,041-1,688
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

If Anderson said that before GSP-Penn 2 I don't think many would disagree.

Which is just a tad unfair given the lack of size BJ had at WW. Say what you will about his motivation, but with GSPs size and strength the deck was stacked against Penn pretty hard there.

Post #18   6/27/13 1:34:34PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:3,041-1,688
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The fuck is going on today?!?!
BJ Penn has won only 1 out of 6 of his past fights...one...homie fights, he is tough, but he refuses to do anything other than box which leaves glaring holes in his game. He gets outwrestled consistently by anyone even close to the top ten, and he is usually out shape. This is a key basic foundation of being a fighter, just being in shape.
Now the last three post I have read have been way off mark! BJ is the #1 P4P GOAT, Bellator raping Alvarez's career, and apparently Matt Brown can just simply beat down GSP. This is too much for me for one day. It makes me wish I still smoked weed.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that a fighter announced that he was going to fight in a new and lighter wt class after coming off a long time out due to a leg ligament injury.

There is only so much I can handle. How about some news like: Silva vs Jones has been signed and will be contested at LHW on NYE in Madison Square Garden.

Liddell only won 1 out of his past 6 fights, what a scrub.

Post #19   6/27/13 1:36:18PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
What is he supposed to say, himself. B.j is 1 of the GOAT, Rand, GSP, Chuck, Andy, and eventually JJ Bones are my top 5

Post #20   6/27/13 2:04:27PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Chips:
And yet again Fedor gets snubbed

UFC nuthuggers

Post #21   6/27/13 2:17:05PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Ricardo Morais

Post #22   6/27/13 2:31:13PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I love Anderson (and BJ for that matter), but I completely disagree with him.

BJ had great skills, but the greatest of all time? His mental focus wasn't strong enough for him to make sure he was fully in shape for all of his fights. We saw a tired, undisciplined BJ Penn in the octagon several times. When he finally did start making a commitment to being in shape and staying in the right division for him (lightweight), he got out-pointed twice by Frankie Edgar. I just don't see how anyone could consider this guy the "GOAT", but to each their own.

IMO Anderson is the GOAT right now, and Jon Jones is the only one who can do anything about that. I think it's too late for GSP unless he eventually agrees to fight Anderson and is able to beat him, but we'll most likely never see that fight happen.

Post #23   6/27/13 4:05:09PM   

SpiderSilva

1/31/15 a Legend returns

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,904-1,184
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Why the hell is this an argument? Its who Anderson thought was the best. Everyone has their own opinion and thats his.

At one point BJs skills were unbeatable at 155. He is still one of 2 to win title in 2 weight classes

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #24   6/27/13 7:25:38PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,835-1,784
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Not trying to be disrespectful, dude could fight...he did get out wrestled by a lot of guys though. Rory Mac is one that wasn't mentioned. The thing is most guys (Sherk and Sanchez samples) tried to stand with him. When people mixed the striking with the wrestling he got tired and broken mentally. Never a fan of Penn, its true...never a fan of Chuck, true...but not calling them scrubs by any means of the word. Basically I saw a bunch of ridiculous things being said all on the same day and went off...sorry if I hurt any feelings.

Post #25   6/30/13 11:57:16PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:514-380
Chips:
I think this all depends on what the standards being used are. In terms of technique i'd vote Spider as GOAT, but Penn has a remarkable resume and a load of talent as well.

Post #26   7/1/13 6:03:05PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Why the hell is this an argument? Its who Anderson thought was the best. Everyone has their own opinion and thats his.

I don't know about everyone else, but personally I wasn't trying to say that Anderson is wrong here. I disagreed with his opinion, but I'm not saying that he's wrong.

Post #27   7/1/13 6:27:10PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2