Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Duration of fights

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,474-900
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
As an old school fan, I'd prefer to see longer rounds, longer fights and no stand-up for inaction. The experience of watching fights under those rules gives a different perspective about what happens in fights and I think that the current rule set definitely favors certain types of fighters--wrestlers to be sure but also guys who can put out a high-volume of low impact offense, whether it's wrestling or striking. Under older time periods the cardio requirement would be much greater to fight that style and the idea that you could stay active enough on top to avoid a better sub guy on bottom is more plausible if you're trying to do it for two minutes versus twenty.

But...I also remember how unpopular and low paying the sport was then and I think those rules had something to do with it. The presentation that the UFC and other shows give fans now is much better in many ways, including the length of the fights. A dramatic, long fight like Severn-Gracie is great but a boring, long fight like Ruas-Taktarov is an absolute show killer. Plus the idea of rounds or periods is ingrained in sports fans who are used to seeing them in boxing, wrestling, baseball, rugby, basketball, etc. So I wouldn't change the current system because it would turn off too many fans. I would be one of the few who would gladly watch fights with longer rounds, though.

Post #16   7/31/13 12:51:36PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:944-621
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
if the made the championship rounds ten minutes i doubt very many fights would go the distance

Post #17   8/24/13 5:02:02PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

if the made the championship rounds ten minutes i doubt very many fights would go the distance

I think it would end up making the first 3 rounds far worse.

Guys would pace themselves a bunch more so they still had the energy to survive the final 2 rounds.

At HW I think you'd see less fights going the distance but you'd see more fights ending due to exhaustion

Post #18   8/24/13 7:32:38PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I'd still love to see a ten minute first round for all fights, but a ten minute fourth and fifth round seems a little much.

Post #19   8/24/13 7:35:57PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,795-1,540
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I used to watch a lot of the old Pancrase fights on youtube, and I think a slightly modified version of the original Pancrase rules could work in the UFC.

Post #20   8/30/13 11:38:12AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2