Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anyone ever heard of this - Restaurant Party

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ok so my wife and I, plus my in-laws were invited to a Retirement party for a family friend. The family friend is 65 and retiring, her spouse is throwing a surprise party at a restaurant that has a banquet room off to the side. They have a set menu, of apps, entree, dessert etc. The thing I haven't heard of is, that the spouse is asking for $25 flat fee from everyone attending.

Now I have thrown these types of get together parties, birthday, anniversary etc and I have never asked anyone to pay for their meals. I just find it tacky to invite people, then ask them to pay.

Has anyone heard of this? Its a little different in my view of going out to a restaurant and people just ordering. Its a set head count that plays out to a flat fee. I just find it weird.

Post #1   6/23/13 8:39:42PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
Strange? I've been to a couple of retirement parties and never had to pay anything. Did you know going in you would have to pay?

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #2   6/23/13 9:41:46PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Strange? I've been to a couple of retirement parties and never had to pay anything. Did you know going in you would have to pay?

The spouse had told it would be $25 a head so yea everyone was told before. I just found the whole thing odd.

Post #3   6/23/13 9:56:13PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Chips:
I don't think its that strange if they can't afford to feed everyone.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   6/23/13 10:09:33PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fuck that shit, ill order what me and my girlfriend want and pay nothing else outside the tip. Dude can try that all he wants but I'm not paying for HIS wifes retirement party

Post #5   6/23/13 10:13:54PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Fuck that shit, ill order what me and my girlfriend want and pay nothing else outside the tip. Dude can try that all he wants but I'm not paying for HIS wifes retirement party

man that hit a negative spot

Post #6   6/23/13 10:15:36PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I don't think its that strange if they can't afford to feed everyone.

Then why have the party? You throw a birthday party at your house, you buy the food, drinks etc. You dont make people pay at your house. Samething imo

Post #7   6/23/13 10:55:46PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Ok so my wife and I, plus my in-laws were invited to a Retirement party for a family friend. The family friend is 65 and retiring, her spouse is throwing a surprise party at a restaurant that has a banquet room off to the side. They have a set menu, of apps, entree, dessert etc. The thing I haven't heard of is, that the spouse is asking for $25 flat fee from everyone attending.

Now I have thrown these types of get together parties, birthday, anniversary etc and I have never asked anyone to pay for their meals. I just find it tacky to invite people, then ask them to pay.

Has anyone heard of this? Its a little different in my view of going out to a restaurant and people just ordering. Its a set head count that plays out to a flat fee. I just find it weird.

Are you confused about how it's done or about the price?

A lot of restaurants do stuff like this. It's a set menu because it'll all be either buffet-style or something they can pre-make and bring out to not interfere with the regular restaurant business. It would be priced per person like any full or part-service catering.

As for charging people, if you're throwing a party, one would assume you're footing the bill, but perhaps they cant afford it and want you to pay the $25 fee.

As for a price, that's reasonable for a simple meal, so I don't think she's gouging you either.

Last edited 6/23/13 11:00PM server time by svartorm
Edit note/reason: n/a

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   6/23/13 10:57:14PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Shawn91111

Are you confused about how it's done or about the price?

A lot of restaurants do stuff like this. It's a set menu because it'll all be either buffet-style or something they can pre-make and bring out to not interfere with the regular restaurant business. It would be priced per person like any full or part-service catering.

As for charging people, if you're throwing a party, one would assume you're footing the bill, but perhaps they cant afford it and want you to pay the $25 fee.

As for a price, that's reasonable for a simple meal, so I don't think she's gouging you either.

No not at all about the set price. That happens all over. Just the hosts making everyone pay instead of themselves, I found strange and tacky.

Post #9   6/23/13 11:06:50PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Chips:
Probably gonna be fun!

Post #10   6/23/13 11:11:09PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Got ya.

I personally would have done a cook-out if money was an issue, rather than forcing folks to pay for their own catering, but at least she was upfront about it, rather than hitting guests with a bill.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   6/23/13 11:14:00PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:
25 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't afford that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #12   6/24/13 8:29:00AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
If it's a very large group I can understand why they might want people to chip in, but it is their party and nobody was forcing them to have one. I agree with what Svartrom said, and if money really is tight they should be doing a cook out of sorts. I don't think anyone has ever had a serious problem with 'pot luck' where each group brings one thing or another and then it's still possible to maintain the surprise portion of the party. It certainly comes across as tacky but that usually is the case when you ask people to contribute monetarily to function for themselves.

Post #13   6/24/13 9:47:27AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Chips:
Last summer I got invited to a "rent party". It's where someone invites people over to their house to eat and charges per plate in order to make their rent. My friend(whose ex-wife was throwing the party) told me that they happen all the time in the hood, but being a white boy from the burbs, I had never heard of that before. Seemed incredibly tacky to me and I didn't go. I'd probably pass on the restaurant party too, if it seems tacky I'd rather just take a pass on it.

Post #14   6/24/13 10:37:22AM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Last summer I got invited to a "rent party". It's where someone invites people over to their house to eat and charges per plate in order to make their rent. My friend(whose ex-wife was throwing the party) told me that they happen all the time in the hood, but being a white boy from the burbs, I had never heard of that before. Seemed incredibly tacky to me and I didn't go. I'd probably pass on the restaurant party too, if it seems tacky I'd rather just take a pass on it.

Never heard of that. The fuck. I need a new big screen tv, I shall have one of those parties.

Post #15   6/24/13 10:48:45AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2