Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kizer defends Mazzagatti following Fitch loss

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After Dana White blasted Steve Mazzagatti as a "f*cking toolbox" for his handling of the end of Jon Fitch vs. Josh Burkman, NSAC director Keith Kizer defended the referee, stating that he did neither a good nor a bad job.

Link

Post #1   6/17/13 7:26:37PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
What did Steve do wrong? I must've missed it.

Post #2   6/17/13 7:59:03PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,207-1,505
Chips:
I had no issues with Mazzagatti either. As soon as Fitch went limp Burkman released the hold. There was no need for Mazzagatti to interfere nor was there time anyhow. None of this should be an issue. Dana shoots from the hip. If he would have watched the replay before making his comments he would have seen what transpired. He hates Mazzagatti as a referee anyhow so he is definitely more apt to jump on his sh*t without a clear understanding of what actually went on.

Post #3   6/17/13 9:31:53PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

He hates Mazzagatti as a referee anyhow so he is definitely more apt to jump on his sh*t without a clear understanding of what actually went on.

Exactly. I think Dana just takes advantage of any opportunity he can to throw some verbal jabs at Mazzagatti.

Post #4   6/17/13 10:03:12PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:938-594
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
mazzagatti's not that bad, it could have been worse

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #5   6/17/13 10:14:50PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,354-1,409
Chips:
serious Dana, serious?..relax man..first of all, Steve didnt even know that Fitch was out..2nd Burkman's knowledge let him know that Fitch was out and he released it..it happened pretty fast..Fitch was actually out in 1, 2, 3..Burkman was also releasing the choke was he was turning Fitch over and laying him properly..he could HAVE did a Bones Jones move and just got up and left Fitch on his stomach..i actually gave Burkman a standing ovation, on how he handle the whole sitiuation..just another dumb thing Dana is getting all butt hurt bout..swear, my nephews are more mature then him..

Post #6   6/18/13 1:46:15AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I have to agree with dana for once. I feel when any fighter is in a choke or any submission then the referee needs to take a closer look, timing aside my disappointment with mazzagatti was how far away he was from the action (not far but not looking for it) true. even if he was looking burkman would have let go of the choke long before mazzagatti would have interfered, but still, not every fighter is like that

with that being said not every referree has done this, i still remember ufc 100 where tom lawlor had to tell lavigne that dollaway was out before the referee checked.

Post #7   6/18/13 5:24:46AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Steve-O sucks worse than a Kardashian.....

Post #8   6/18/13 6:00:34AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

I have to agree with dana for once. I feel when any fighter is in a choke or any submission then the referee needs to take a closer look, timing aside my disappointment with mazzagatti was how far away he was from the action (not far but not looking for it) true. even if he was looking burkman would have let go of the choke long before mazzagatti would have interfered, but still, not every fighter is like that

I disagree completely. Mazzagatti was paying plenty of attention to the choke, and Burkman did not hold onto that choke any longer than necessary. Even if he did, that additional 1-2 seconds makes absolutely no difference. There's been much worse cases of this in MMA before this fight. Everyone just likes to hate on Mazzagatti because he's made some mistakes in the past. He handled the Burkman/Fitch situation perfectly fine.

How do you suppose Herb Dean would've done in that situation? Do you really think he would've been in there stopping the choke any sooner than Steve? Nope.

They're only human.

Last edited 6/18/13 11:18AM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   6/18/13 11:16:51AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,586-1,413
Chips:

How do you suppose Herb Dean would've done in that situation? Do you really think he would've been in there stopping the choke any sooner than Steve? Nope.

How do you know?

I think the issue for many fans, myself included, was Mazagattis body language. When a fighter gets a choke, the ref should be standing closer, monitoring the choked fighter for signs of unconsciousness, lifting the fighters arm if necessary. Steve was standing way too far away for the position the fighters were in.

Just because Burkman was classy enough to release the choke in time doesn't make it okay. What if Josh had kept going with Steve standing there like an idiot? Fitch could have been seriously hurt.

I think Herb Dean would have been on top of it, but like I said already, we have no way of knowing.

Post #10   6/18/13 12:05:13PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,493-865
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

How do you know?

I think the issue for many fans, myself included, was Mazagattis body language. When a fighter gets a choke, the ref should be standing closer, monitoring the choked fighter for signs of unconsciousness, lifting the fighters arm if necessary. Steve was standing way too far away for the position the fighters were in.

Just because Burkman was classy enough to release the choke in time doesn't make it okay. What if Josh had kept going with Steve standing there like an idiot? Fitch could have been seriously hurt.

I think Herb Dean would have been on top of it, but like I said already, we have no way of knowing.

Mirgliotta would have asked Burkman why he stopped.

Post #11   6/18/13 3:07:03PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

How do you know?

Well we can agree to disagree I suppose, because I believe that no matter who the referee was, Burkman's the one who made the decision to let go as soon as he knew Fitch was out. He would've known before any referee would have, and he did exactly what he was supposed to do, which was let go.

In a position like that it's not always easy for a person to know when someone's unconscious. Give Mazzagatti a break, because it's not like he did a horrible job the way Dana is trying to make it sound. He did perfectly fine.

Post #12   6/18/13 3:14:15PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by Franklinfan47

How do you know?

Well we can agree to disagree I suppose, because I believe that no matter who the referee was, Burkman's the one who made the decision to let go as soon as he knew Fitch was out. He would've known before any referee would have, and he did exactly what he was supposed to do, which was let go.

In a position like that it's not always easy for a person to know when someone's unconscious. Give Mazzagatti a break, because it's not like he did a horrible job the way Dana is trying to make it sound. He did perfectly fine.

burkman certainly let go right away and i'm sure we can all agree on that, mazzagati was paying attention for a tap, but he was not in a position to see if someone was out cold, it was quick, but his positioning and engagement is where my issue is, we can;t count on fighters letting go immediately.

Post #13   6/19/13 12:46:23AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:
I agree with that, but in the position Burkman/Fitch were in the only way Mazzagatti would've known Fitch was out would've been by grabbing his arm and checking to see if it was dead weight, which he really didn't have time to do before Burkman let go of the choke.

It wasn't the best officiating, but I don't think it warranted Dana's typical overreaction towards Mazzagatti.

Post #14   6/19/13 1:20:34PM