Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

SECONDARY LEAGUE POLL

Print  
Should the Secondary League be changed?
I enjoy it the way it is. 29 78%
The e-mailer is right. 8 22%
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

seems my post has gotten lost in the shuffle. I truly believe i brought up valid points as too why bellator should be included in the primary league

oh well i tried

Same points people had made when WEC and Strikeforce were in their prime.

to compare bellator with those promotions is nonsense. They were both bought by the UFC.

Its so obvious that bellator doesnt seem to be going anywhere its just plain odd as to why it cant garner enoigh respect to get put on the primary league.

and in regards to fleeks post

so the basis for not putting bellator in the primary is because half the fights arent announced till fight week? So there isnt ANY set cards to use?

Its not nonsense at all. You're talking after the fact that they were bought. During their peak, prime they were their own companies.

okay.
strikeforce wasnt even on free tv. I myself couldnt even watch it.
wec was on versus not even a popular channel. hell does it even exist anymore? who knows?

bellator is on SPIKE before that MTV2 not to mention the spanish speaking channels that broadcast it also. oh yeah their even getting their own reality show just like the UFC

so i would say bellator is already leaps and bounds ahead of where the wec or strikeforce EVER were.

the above points are why i still and will keep thinking its nonsense. Bellator is here to stay it isnt going anywhere.

Post #46   6/9/13 12:07:55PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

seems my post has gotten lost in the shuffle. I truly believe i brought up valid points as too why bellator should be included in the primary league

oh well i tried

to compare bellator with those promotions is nonsense. They were both bought by the UFC.

Its so obvious that bellator doesnt seem to be going anywhere its just plain odd as to why it cant garner enoigh respect to get put on the primary league.

so the basis for not putting bellator in the primary is because half the fights arent announced till fight week? So there isnt ANY set cards to use?

Its not nonsense at all. You're talking after the fact that they were bought. During their peak, prime they were their own companies.

okay.
wec was on versus not even a popular channel. hell does it even exist anymore? who knows?

bellator is on SPIKE before that MTV2 not to mention the spanish speaking channels that broadcast it also. oh yeah their even getting their own reality show just like the UFC

so i would say bellator is already leaps and bounds ahead of where the wec or strikeforce EVER were.

the above points are why i still and will keep thinking its nonsense. Bellator is here to stay it isnt going anywhere.

The fact that it isn't going anywhere doesn't make it worth putting in the primary league.

Its still a secondary promotion even if its arguably the most successful secondary promotion. The only reason its on Free TV at all is because the company that owns the organization happens to own MTV2 and Spike TV.

You don't see major networks attempting to buy the rights to show it, and if a major corporation didn't own it, and wasn't able to air it on their own networks it probably wouldn't exist anymore.

Post #47   6/9/13 12:26:30PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

oh well i tried

okay.

The fact that it isn't going anywhere doesn't make it worth putting in the primary league.

Its still a secondary promotion even if its arguably the most successful secondary promotion. The only reason its on Free TV at all is because the company that owns the organization happens to own MTV2 and Spike TV.

You don't see major networks attempting to buy the rights to show it, and if a major corporation didn't own it, and wasn't able to air it on their own networks it probably wouldn't exist anymore.

And its a secondary promotion because???

Wasnt the UFC on Spike at one point?? Wasnt the UFC at one point NOT affiliated with FOX??

Your logic imo doesnt hold up if its still a secondary promotion just because AT THIS TIME its not on a big broadcast company.

Bellator is just as exciting as the UFC. Just because the fighters are not as known doesn't mean there aren't spectacular KOs or Subs which is the WHOLE point of watching!!

Post #48   6/9/13 12:42:13PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by george112

oh well i tried

okay.

And its a secondary promotion because???

Wasnt the UFC on Spike at one point?? Wasnt the UFC at one point NOT affiliated with FOX??

Your logic imo doesnt hold up if its still a secondary promotion just because AT THIS TIME its not on a big broadcast company.

Bellator is just as exciting as the UFC. Just because the fighters are not as known doesn't mean there aren't spectacular KOs or Subs which is the WHOLE point of watching!!

I enjoy watching Bellator as well and I'm not saying its not exciting. I just don't hold any illusions that its even in the stratosphere of the UFC in terms of popularity and development. Ratings wise it's best events draw comparable numbers to a random TUF episode,

The difference between the UFC being on SPIKE and Bellator on SPIKE is that Viacom had to pay a lot of money to the UFC for the rights to show its product, and when it shows Bellator events its because it owns both the network and the product.

It has nothing to do with the size of the company airing Bellator, it has everything to do with the fact that the only networks looking to broadcast it are owned by the same company that owns Bellator.

If Viacom didn't own Bellator it might not even exist right now, it probably would have been swallowed by the UFC.

Post #49   6/9/13 1:01:07PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
Bellator is on Wednesdays now. Adding them to the primary league would screw that league up and screw the secondary league up.

We'd get done with a Bellator card on Wednesday night and have 2-3 days to get everyone's picks and wagers in for the UFC card on the Saturday (If there is one). People complain about that a lot in L2, think about how people would take it for the primary league.

If you don't want to do that they'd be combo cards starting Wednesday and not being updated until Saturday night. That's a big complaint for L2 as well and has been mentioned in this thread several times already.

Then sit back and think about L2. Without Bellator the quality of those events drops significantly. It becomes harder to fill up a card and you get more guys people have never heard of and then people complain about that...

I don't really see how Bellator isn't L2. There is a clear leader in the UFC and the rest follow suit. When Pride was a part of the primary league they were almost, if not equally as big as the UFC. It's great that they're getting bigger and they finally have a deal with Spike but that doesn't justify changing the way both leagues operate.

It's impossible to please everyone. People are going to complain no matter what happens. The goal is to please the majority. I think this poll is a good indication that the majority is pleased.

And on a side note, why do some people want full Titan FC cards? You know how many 0-1 vs 0-0 type fights there are on those axs tv cards? People would complain like crazy if that's the way L2 worked. That's why tapology lost its appeal so quickly for me. Picking those fights become a huge chore.

Post #50   6/9/13 2:27:21PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

\ That's why tapology lost its appeal so quickly for me. Picking those fights become a huge chore.

same here

Post #51   6/9/13 6:26:56PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Why don't we just call it "Let's pick whatever Fleek wants to pick this week League"?

Exactly.

"Go get yourself some badges, Fleek." - Coach Jackson

Post #52   6/9/13 8:49:23PM   

tattflash

In Full Mount

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,614-1,860
Chips:
I think the secondary league is great the way it is. I think Fleek is doing a grand job as it is. Plus the diversity of the mixed cards from MMA events all around the world means you get a good crossover of potential future stars on the up and household names on the way down from the elite promotions clashing.

Last edited 6/10/13 6:54AM server time by tattflash
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #53   6/10/13 6:47:33AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,612-939
Chips:
I don't think anyone here believes Fleek is picking the fights he feels most confident about but I don't think there should be a member picking fights based soley on whether or not the fighter had a name.

I'd rather be picking new talent than washed-up has-beens. It seems silly to me to still be picking Baroni fights when he hasn't been good in over a decade. The same goes for freak shows like Bob Lashley.

My guess is most people would like to pick fights they can watch and I don't think a 30 man vote is indicative of what the thousands of playgrounders want.

I understand why the league was setup the way it is now but I think it's time for a change.

Post #54   6/10/13 11:34:54AM   

Shelter

Standup Guy

Shelter Avatar

Career:1,427-748
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I'd rather be picking new talent than washed-up has-beens. It seems silly to me to still be picking Baroni fights when he hasn't been good in over a decade. The same goes for freak shows like Bob Lashley.

I definitely agree with the spirit of this, and a good example can be seen this weekend. Krasimir Mladenov (9-0-0) vs Kendrick Miree (5-0-0) from the WSOF card is not included, but Trevor Prangley vs Tony Lopez is.

That said, I think it's important to strike a balance between the two. You have to have name recognition, you can't have an entire card of people nobody has heard of. I think the recent Baroni/Suzuki fight is a great example of the type of fight that should be included. Baroni is well known, his opponent had a decent record, and it was on a very visible card (OneFC) that had multiple other bouts included on the L2 card.

I support L2 cards that are combination of multiple events, because it allows the best fights of that weekend to all be included. I think the idea of just focusing on one MMA event to make up the entirety of the L2 event is stupid. Even the UFC's closest competitor, Bellator, has a ton of weak fights on their undercard. Combos are the way to go

Post #55   6/10/13 11:55:32AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

I don't think anyone here believes Fleek is picking the fights he feels most confident about but I don't think there should be a member picking fights based soley on whether or not the fighter had a name.

My guess is most people would like to pick fights they can watch and I don't think a 30 man vote is indicative of what the thousands of playgrounders want.

I understand why the league was setup the way it is now but I think it's time for a change.

So a vote isnt the way to go, but your guess is the way to go on what 'most' people feel?

Post #56   6/10/13 1:37:42PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

So a vote isnt the way to go, but your guess is the way to go on what 'most' people feel?

Easy there Tiger, a vote on a thread most people don't know exists doesn't seem like a fair way of deciding policy. I don't know how everyone else feels but I'd think most casual playgrounders would prefer making picks of televised bouts. That's why I suggested moving the vote to the main page.

Post #57   6/10/13 3:34:00PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Easy there Tiger, a vote on a thread most people don't know exists doesn't seem like a fair way of deciding policy. I don't know how everyone else feels but I'd think most casual playgrounders would prefer making picks of televised bouts. That's why I suggested moving the vote to the main page.

Sure thing Muffin, but most casual playgrounders do not play L2

Post #58   6/10/13 3:38:32PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Shawn91111

Prolly because they don't care about bouts they can't watch or follow Sugar Lips ;)

Post #59   6/10/13 3:50:36PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Shawn91111

Prolly because they don't care about bouts they can't watch or follow Sugar Lips ;)

Yea Im going to bet thats not the reason friendo

Post #60   6/10/13 4:22:34PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5