Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Couture: Getting banned from son's UFC corner was 'over the line'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Randy Couture knew his decision to join forces with the UFC's largest competitor wouldn't be welcome news to UFC President Dana White. A certain amount of backlash was, he figured, to be expected.

What the former UFC champ didn't expect, he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was that it would get him barred from working his son's corner at future UFC events.

"In my opinion, that's over the line," said Couture, whose left his role as a UFC commentator in order to sign with former UFC broadcast partner Spike TV. The decision led to him being effectively banned from son Ryan's corner when the younger Couture made his octagon debut at the UFC on FUEL TV 9 event in April.

Now that the elder Couture is gearing up for the June 19 premiere of Spike TV's "Fight Master" reality show, where he'll serve as one of four coaches, the retired MMA legend said he has no regrets about his decision to leave his UFC gig for a more visible role with Spike TV and Bellator MMA. If anything, he said, White's verbal tirades in the media only increased "Fight Master's" public profile.

LINK

Post #1   6/7/13 2:16:00PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Chips:
I agree with Randy, Dana has always been a little baby when things dont go his way

Post #2   6/7/13 2:16:46PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
I agree. Dana takes stuff so personnal

Post #3   6/7/13 2:28:37PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree. Dana takes things too personal....oh shit, already been said....uh thi k hard....umm.....Danas a fucktard

Post #4   6/7/13 4:05:19PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,788-935
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

I agree with Randy, Dana has always been a little baby when things dont go his way

Agreed. He looks so unprofessional when he puts personal gripe over business. Like a less intelligent Vince McMahon.

Post #5   6/7/13 4:05:33PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I agree that Randy being banned from Ryan's corner is over the line, but I'm not surprised at all.

I like Dana, but I don't agree with his decision on this one.

Post #6   6/7/13 4:49:43PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 37-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,532-977
Chips:
The sad truth is Dana basically represents MMA as a whole & he unknowingly hinders mainstream momentum when he does childish garbage like this. Fucktard indeed

Post #7   6/7/13 5:05:27PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,883-1,079
Chips:
I must be a complete asshole because I agree with Dana in this case and would've done the same.

Randy was heavily promoted by the UFC and was given a role of high public visibility. You can bet your left nut that Spike/Bellator will be milking Randy's status for all it is worth, a status that the UFC built and marketed. A fighter's corner crew are highly visible on tv/ppv and it is a sound business decision to not give your competitor free camera time & publicity. Randy is a businessman and for him to claim that the UFC's response was over the line or at all surprising smacks of naivety and stupidity.

Randy made his choice and he chose to put his own interests ahead of his son's and the company that made him a millionaire.

Post #8   6/7/13 5:39:01PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:504-307
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

I must be a complete asshole because I agree with Dana in this case and would've done the same.

Randy was heavily promoted by the UFC and was given a role of high public visibility. You can bet your left nut that Spike/Bellator will be milking Randy's status for all it is worth, a status that the UFC built and marketed. A fighter's corner crew are highly visible on tv/ppv and it is a sound business decision to not give your competitor free camera time & publicity. Randy is a businessman and for him to claim that the UFC's response was over the line or at all surprising smacks of naivety and stupidity.

Randy made his choice and he chose to put his own interests ahead of his son's and the company that made him a millionaire.

I get some of your points, but how many cornermen outside the top training center's get talked about on the UFC programs?. Dana could have very well told Goldie and Joe do not to talk about Couture and let him corner his son. I've seen plenty of Bellator fighter's cornering UFC guy's not get there names called for that reason. Randy did a lot for the UFC and without him imagine the heavyweight division during early 2000s.

For instance the guy George Roop pulled into the cage and pretended to elbow, he did the same thing to George on Bellator, Joe knew that but never said Bellator just said they've done it before.

Post #9   6/7/13 6:03:33PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,340-1,374
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Randy really shouldn't talk. Dude's cheated on all his wives and whined and walked away from the promotion when he didn't get his way. Randy's accomplished a lot in his career but he's certainly done his fair share of "over the line" things as well.

Post #10   6/7/13 8:24:02PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Randy really shouldn't talk. Dude's cheated on all his wives and whined and walked away from the promotion when he didn't get his way. Randy's accomplished a lot in his career but he's certainly done his fair share of "over the line" things as well.

Post #11   6/7/13 8:29:10PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

This makes perfect sense, but I still don't think it would severely hurt the UFC to allow Randy to corner Ryan.

At the end of the day though, I suppose Dana did make the right decision.

Post #12   6/7/13 9:25:30PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I can see, in a way where Dana is coming from but the bottom of the line is Randy Couture isn't Frank Shamrock. You can't just erase the guys history from the organization.

Post #13   6/7/13 10:47:01PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
Couture's ears are over the line.

Post #14   6/8/13 1:47:32AM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,014-493
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
What Dana doesnt seem to recognize is that he is the defacto commisioner of MMA, but he goes around acting just like any other fight promoter. He has a bigger responsibility and should take a few cues from others in his position. These childish fueds with fighters and other promotions are so stupid. He should take the attitude "we dont have any competitors, just minor leagues" and he would be right. Randy Couture did his share for the UFC and Dana is forgetting that. FIrst he screws him out of his fight with Fedor and now this. White is just making himself look stupid, AGAIN

Post #15   6/8/13 2:06:19AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2