Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Greg Popovich vs. Phil Jackson

Print  
Who is the better coach
Popovich 11 48%
Jackson 12 52%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by george112

Posted by kopower

Tough call. Have either of them ever had a bad team for more than a year or two?

my whole argument for Popovich is that he has always had less star power wise yet he made/makes the absolute most of it.

If i had jordan or kobe id have some rings too. not taking anything away from jackson hes a legend but i just think Popovich is the better coach

I do think that Pop has had less talent overall, but don't underestimate Tim Duncan (Top 10 all time player) David Robinson (top 5 center of the last 2 decades) and guys like Parker, Ginobili (who might both make the HOF) and Bowen who was the best defender in the league for a few years. Pop is the ultimate chess player, but Phil Jackson also quelled the personalities of people who might have destroyed teams without the Zen Master. They're very interesting, hard to compare. I think that Pop might be a better coach in a one game scenario, because he's two steps ahead of everyone all the time, but Phil also developed a style that never needed to be revised, the triangle. And Phil was able to do win 11 rings between two teams, using completely different personnel, while Pop has won 4 rings with pretty much the same people minus Robinson. I have to go with Phil by a hair.

To be fair DRob was never quite the same after his injury and started his down turn of his career when Pop took over. Jackson has never had less than 2 HOF, top 15 players on his team. (Jordan, Pippen) (Shaq, Kobe). Phil had those 2 down years with the Lakers after Shaq left, before they raped the Grizzlies in that trade for Gasol.

Post #16   6/7/13 3:29:28PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2