Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kids acting up in restaurants - Your opinion

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Blizzard

MMA Regular

Blizzard Avatar

Career:1,285-886
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
The problem started long before the restaurant, that being said, I would remove the child to a not so public area and give them the 5th degree, if this doesn't solve the problem then whippin insues.

Post #16   6/2/13 1:28:54PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I'm no parent, but I have two nephews and a niece. When a kid acts up in a restaurant, it's usually because they are restless and bored. You can't expect every 5 year old to sit right and shut up for too long. This doesn't deserve punishment, the kid just needs something to keep them busy. Good parents bring toys with the kids, coloring books, snacks, etc, so the kids can stay busy while the adults talk about grown up things.

If a kid is being a brat, than yes, take them outside and talk to them there, but it's amazing how often placating children works.

Post #17   6/2/13 7:10:18PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,907-1,502
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I'm no parent, but I have two nephews and a niece. When a kid acts up in a restaurant, it's usually because they are restless and bored. You can't expect every 5 year old to sit right and shut up for too long. This doesn't deserve punishment, the kid just needs something to keep them busy. Good parents bring toys with the kids, coloring books, snacks, etc, so the kids can stay busy while the adults talk about grown up things.

If a kid is being a brat, than yes, take them outside and talk to them there, but it's amazing how often placating children works.

Pretty much 100% what I do with my 5 yr old. One of the reasons he is very very good in restaurants is because he isnt bored. You cant expect a kid to care about adult conversations and things of that nature. So we always bring his backpack with coloring books, crayons snacks and Ipod for his games with headphones

Post #18   6/2/13 8:24:23PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
No kids but I own a restaurant and have to deal with this frequently.

I've had children who were absolutely great, talking with customers and making for a fun lunch for everyone, and we've had kids that ran around and even ran into my kitchen, slammed doors, etc. Hate to point fingers, but it's usually the European families that have the kids who behave the worst, as it doesn't seem popular to discipline children in Europe.

Just a few days ago there was a Swiss family whose child ran around throwing food all over the floor, and would then rip open bags of chips off the shelf to keep doing it. The mother didn't ever say anything to the child but instead would jump up to pay for the chips he'd ruined and let him go back to trashing the place. This happened 4 times. I let it go because her mother-in-law is a regular customer and I knew she'd be very uncomfortable if I told the daughter-in-law to mind her son, but that was about the worst behaved child I've ever seen in public, outside the ghetto of course.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #19   6/3/13 8:52:35PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:966-602
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

outside the ghetto of course.

Post #20   6/3/13 9:07:23PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Dude, I ran a million dollar fried chicken restaurant in the heart of the projects. Had nothing to do with race, just poverty and parents being too fucking up on drugs to be parents.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #21   6/3/13 9:48:05PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
lol i think he was just trying to be funny. succeeded imo

Post #22   6/3/13 9:54:22PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:966-602
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Dude, I ran a million dollar fried chicken restaurant in the heart of the projects. Had nothing to do with race, just poverty and parents being too fucking up on drugs to be parents.

hehe yeah, george is right. i know you arent racist pal

Post #23   6/3/13 10:04:46PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,958-1,117
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When you child is acting inappropriately in public:

Step 1. Address it early and seriously. Don't act like it is not happening, or just hope it will end itself. Be proactive and use tactics that work for the child.

Step 2. If the issue can't be addressed immediately, pick the child up and remove him/her from the restaurant. Take them aside and get the problem worked out privately.

Step 3. re-enter once the behavior is addressed.

Step 4. If the behavior continues, wrap it up and leave, go home, and address it there.

Step. 5. If you have followed steps 1-4, nobody is likely to give you shit and in fact most will admire the way you handled it. But if you haven't, expect everyone around you to be pissed at you for ruining their experience by being a shitty parent.

Being a parent is not just an obligation to your child. You also have an obligation for your child's behavior to everyone else. Taking young children out in public without supervising their behavior is bad parenting.

Post #24   6/4/13 1:38:55AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:3,041-1,688
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
To a degree, I've witnessed a wild card nature to parenting. Working at a grocery store I've seen a variety of methods work and not work on kids of different ages acting in a variety of ways. That's why you see kids grow up in unconventional (AKA fucked up) environments and come out well-behaved, while others can be parented perfectly based on what child rearing books say, and yet they still ruin my day. Some kids are just born to be shitheads.

Edit: I realize this didn't really address the topic, but I will say if I acted like an asshole in public at age 6 my dad would have taken me outside, and if I kept acting like a dick he would have probably given me a solid spanking. I don't know if I would spank my kids, but my folks did and my brother and I turned out quite well from my own biased perspective.

Last edited 6/4/13 3:42AM server time by jay98107
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   6/4/13 3:39:50AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I'm lucky in that both my girls have always been excellently behaved in public. But then we do eat out a lot as I want them to expect a certain level of treatment from any future boyfriends :) I think they're behavior has a lot to do with the way my wife is bringing them up to behave like a lady should. If it was left to me they'd probably be spoiled brats.

Anyway my thoughts on this subject is that if your kid is out of control then you do need to remove them from the environment so that others are not put out. I would be too embarrassed to sit there with a kid kicking off anyway.

On the flip side... If I am ever out without the kids I choose where I eat carefully and to avoid places where there is likely to be lots of children.

With pubs in the UK for example there are some that allow children and others that don't. My view is that if you want to have a drink without kids then choose a pub that doesn't allow them. Don't go to one that does then complain about kids being kids.

Post #26   6/4/13 5:15:18AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,824-1,783
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I take them outside and correct them if they get past my second warning...which never happens because of the good old fashioned spanking. None of my kids have gotten an honest swat since they were about 4 years old, but the fear lasts a lifetime.

Post #27   6/4/13 9:43:24AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
My daughter, even being the spoiled lil beotch she is, has never really acted up in public. The good cop, bad cop thing seems to work well with her. the very few times she was 2-3 and she cried and screamed at a restaraunt was becasue she was tired so we took her outside til she passed out, which generally only took a few minutes. i cant stand seeing parents who let their children walk all over them. But in all honesty, the people who let their kids scream dont give a fuck about anyone else. They are the group of people who will purposely cut you off on the road, drive a mercedes benz on welfare, and talk loudly during a movie

Post #28   6/5/13 12:45:05AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2