Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Now free and unfiltered, Jon Fitch hoping to thrive with a promotion that pushes him instead of holding him back

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Talk about a hostile work environment.

Jon Fitch held a 14-3-1 record in his seven and a half year UFC career, earning a title shot and regularly holding the number two ranked position in the unofficial welterweight rankings, but that didn't score him any points with his superiors.

The American Kickboxing Academy standout had to fight tooth and nail to earn his title shot against Georges St. Pierre, and when he came up short, the dream was likely over.

That's what happens when you have a smothering wrestling style that neutralizes everyone you face, including popular strikers like Thiago Alves and more.

When Fitch suffered a rough patch, going 1-2-1 over a period of four fights,he was released from his contract and quickly scooped up by World Series of Fighting. In his debut fight with the promotion next month (June 14, 2013), he'll be competing in the main event against Josh Burkman. He tells Bleacher Report that it's nice to be a part of a promotion that actually wants to push him for once.

"I'm going to show everybody what I'm capable of with support behind me. It's going to be really nice to fight for an organization that is pushing and promoting me instead of trying to hold me back and put me down."

Despite his tremendous run of victories in the UFC, holding win streaks of eight and five wins respectively, he never felt any job security heading into a fight.

"There wasn't a fight I went into where I didn't feel as if I was fighting for my job. If I didn't win I was going to be fired. Every fight I had before was not just a fight against the guy in front of me but a fight against the people putting on the show."

With promoter Ray Sefo having his back completely, Fitch is hoping to capitalize on the good vibes heading into his first fight outside the UFC in nearly eight years.

"People can expect to see the best of Jon Fitch. No filters. No worries other than the fight in front of me and I think that is going to bring out the best Jon Fitch you've seen."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/29/13 3:04:48PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Always liked Fitch.

My first Ufc event. I was so pumped to see Fitch vs diego.

Post #2   5/29/13 5:01:18PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I'm just the opposite, I've never liked him.
Finish someone already, be exciting and maybe your new promotion will help you thrive. The UFC didnt hold him back, he held himself back.

Post #3   5/29/13 5:04:47PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,824-954
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I'm just the opposite, I've never liked him.
Finish someone already, be exciting and maybe your new promotion will help you thrive. The UFC didnt hold him back, he held himself back.

If MMA is a sport rather than sports entertainment, then this shouldn't matter. The only thing that should matter is your skill and how good you are. Fitch is very good, still a top 10 fighter. If you are top 10 in the world in your sport, the sport's premier organisation should support you.

Post #4   5/29/13 5:21:00PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,205-723
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Finish someone already

Akihiro Gono - Not submitted since 1996, Sonnen couldn't beat him, Lombard couldn't finish him, even beat Mousassi
Ben Saunders - Finished twice in 23 fights.
Paulo Thiago - Handed him his first pro loss, only been finished once in his 8 year career.
Mike Pierce - Not finished in 21 fights, Hendricks nor Koscheck finished him
Thiago Alves - Not subbed for 7 years, only KO loss was by... Oh yeah Jon Fitch!

If he was fighting the Papy Abedi's and David Mitchells I could understand why he would be cut for not getting finishes. The fact is he beat elite Welterweights with a gameplan they had no answer for, the reality is that gameplan nobody found enjoyable to watch. It wasn't his job to finish fights, it's his job to compete in mixed martial arts. If the opponent's listed above had better takedown defence we might have seen exciting fights, the reality was his opponents should be cut for not being successful mixed martial artists than him being cut for being a boring fighter.

Every opponent knew what they were getting in for, and the fact they ended up on there back was there fault, not his.

As Bythar said, he's a top tier fighter, and the UFC are being very immature by not keeping him in the roster. Cut his pay or shove him on the facebooks but to not even have him in your company is a BS move.

Dirty Blue

Post #5   5/29/13 5:50:41PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Finish someone already

Akihiro Gono - Not submitted since 1996, Sonnen couldn't beat him, Lombard couldn't finish him, even beat Mousassi
Ben Saunders - Finished twice in 23 fights.
Paulo Thiago - Handed him his first pro loss, only been finished once in his 8 year career.
Mike Pierce - Not finished in 21 fights, Hendricks nor Koscheck finished him
Thiago Alves - Not subbed for 7 years, only KO loss was by... Oh yeah Jon Fitch!

If he was fighting the Papy Abedi's and David Mitchells I could understand why he would be cut for not getting finishes. The fact is he beat elite Welterweights with a gameplan they had no answer for, the reality is that gameplan nobody found enjoyable to watch. It wasn't his job to finish fights, it's his job to compete in mixed martial arts. If the opponent's listed above had better takedown defence we might have seen exciting fights, the reality was his opponents should be cut for not being successful mixed martial artists than him being cut for being a boring fighter.

Every opponent knew what they were getting in for, and the fact they ended up on there back was there fault, not his.

As Bythar said, he's a top tier fighter, and the UFC are being very immature by not keeping him in the roster. Cut his pay or shove him on the facebooks but to not even have him in your company is a BS move.

I try my very best to not comment on Fitch pages anymore, he always has been and always will be one of my favourite guys so I have an agenda when it comes to him.
But, god damn it you hit it out park with this!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   5/29/13 6:41:11PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,481
Chips:
Then GSP should be cut as well

Post #7   5/29/13 6:43:23PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,732
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I really hate his style and as a fan I couldn't care less if I see his fights or not. That being said if you are the #1 organization in the world I don't think you cut a top 5 guy like Fitch. He belongs in the UFC fighting the best. For the inegrity of the sport if nothing else.

Last edited 5/29/13 6:51PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/29/13 6:50:50PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

And Ben Henderson.

Post #9   5/29/13 8:11:14PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,250-1,376
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I laughed my ass reading the title of post. Jon Fitch and Gsp should start their own Org. Keep those types of fighters together and far away from the Ufc and other big Orgs.

Post #10   5/29/13 10:10:12PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Bad look for Fitch, I'm pretty sure Dana left it at, "He's just to expensive to keep right now, but he'll be back after he gets a few wins underneath him in another promotion." I didn't expect any sour grapes here, and to be fair their might not be any but this story makes it sound like there are.

Post #11   5/29/13 10:10:53PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Bad look for Fitch, I'm pretty sure Dana left it at, "He's just to expensive to keep right now, but he'll be back after he gets a few wins underneath him in another promotion." I didn't expect any sour grapes here, and to be fair their might not be any but this story makes it sound like there are.

Of course he's bitter, the man was fucked over royally. Dana says he needs to get a few more wins under his belt? The fact that Dana said that about Jon Fitch, a fighter who holds one of the best records in UFC history, is all that needs to be said really.

Post #12   5/29/13 10:37:56PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by jlock003

Of course he's bitter, the man was fucked over royally. Dana says he needs to get a few more wins under his belt? The fact that Dana said that about Jon Fitch, a fighter who holds one of the best records in UFC history, is all that needs to be said really.

He's 1-2-1 in his last 4 and doesn't sell tickets. Dana said he needs a few wins in a row to justify his contract. Sounds logical to me.

Post #13   5/29/13 11:32:06PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Shawn91111

And Ben Henderson.

Cut 'em all

Post #14   5/30/13 1:19:24AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Posted by warglory

Posted by jlock003

He's 1-2-1 in his last 4 and doesn't sell tickets. Dana said he needs a few wins in a row to justify his contract. Sounds logical to me.

It has been personal between Dana and Jon. To take Dana's comment on it as an unbiased, truthful statement is, well, not something I would do. 1-2-1 certainly isn't good, but it certainly isn't something that would warrant a cut; especially when the 2 losses are to top 10 in the division and his win in between was exciting and against one of the division's top prospects.

Post #15   5/30/13 7:12:34AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2