Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

New dog after death of old dog. How long did you wait?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Just wondering what other members have done. Never had pets growing up and my wife and I rescued the dog we have now 9 years ago. She has took a turn for the worse a few months ago and Friday is the day she is scheduled to be put down. Its very sad, but something we have known about for a month or so and just dont want to see her suffer any longer.

So my question is how long did any of you wait until you got a new dog. We have talked about it and want another one, but dont want to wait too long either.

Post #1   5/20/13 11:18:29AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I waited a year and when I got another dog it was a completely different size, temperament and breed. Just didn't want the constant reminder.

This is gonna be really tough on you Shawn, not gonna sugar coat it. If you have any emotional attachment to the dog you will weep like a baby. No shame in that man.

Post #2   5/20/13 11:26:35AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I've had animals die as well and have waited all different amounts of time. I really don't see the problem is getting one fairly quickly. This isn't like a "rebound girl" when you get dumped or anything, but a pet. Cheesy, but I suppose you'll know when you're ready for another one.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   5/20/13 11:28:33AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

This is gonna be really tough on you Shawn, not gonna sugar coat it. If you have any emotional attachment to the dog you will weep like a baby. No shame in that man.

Didn't want to get into that, but it's going to be positively brutal. Like homeboy says, no shame in falling to pieces over this. You won't be the first and won't be the last.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #4   5/20/13 11:30:09AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:
Ive had a dog ever since I was 4. Whether it was me & my parents, or just mine, I get a new dog anywhere from 2-8 weeks after, depending on nothing more than how convenient it is to get a new one.

When mine goes, which hopefully isnt soon, me & my gf will be an absolute wreck.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #5   5/20/13 11:34:43AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Ive had a dog ever since I was 4. Whether it was me & my parents, or just mine, I get a new dog anywhere from 2-8 weeks after, depending on nothing more than how convenient it is to get a new one.

When mine goes, which hopefully isnt soon, me & my gf will be an absolute wreck.

2-8 weeks sounds about right. There's nothing wrong with replacing him fairly quickly. You'll still have all those years to remember, but IMO everyone needs a dog. They can comfort us like others can't. No reason you should have to wait too long.

Post #6   5/20/13 11:41:02AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by prophecy033

Didn't want to get into that, but it's going to be positively brutal. Like homeboy says, no shame in falling to pieces over this. You won't be the first and won't be the last.

This. Big time.

When our family dog died, I ended up getting another one a few months later. She never quite lived up to the first one though.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #7   5/20/13 12:40:51PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Chips:
I didnt think months and months ago that I would be this sad about it, as I said before I never did have a pet so I was unsure of the emotional attachment I had with her. But yea it sucks a good ton, its not any easier so to say but rather it be like this than all of a sudden without some sort of closure.

Post #8   5/20/13 1:34:18PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

I didnt think months and months ago that I would be this sad about it, as I said before I never did have a pet so I was unsure of the emotional attachment I had with her. But yea it sucks a good ton, its not any easier so to say but rather it be like this than all of a sudden without some sort of closure.

putting your dog down sucks. i've had a couple put down in my life. it's better to do it than to have them suffer, but it def doesnt make it easier.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #9   5/20/13 2:01:37PM   

One_Hit_Quit

MMA Regular

One_Hit_Quit Avatar

Career:2,163-1,202
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That's the weird thing about dogs. We get them and fall in love with them knowing full well they will die in 10-15 years. I always try to keep that in mind when they get older. My dog turns 11 this December, with a life expectancy of 12-14 years.

My family has always had a dog growing up. Losing the first one is hard, but it gets easier. So don't wait any longer than you have to.

Post #10   5/20/13 2:09:52PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
Yeah puttin down your pup anytime sucks. A few years back I got a puppy for my birthday, but I got em around a month before my actual birthday. This was when I lived out in the boonies and we just let the pups run loose. Got a phone call from my mom ON MY BIRTHDAY, telling me I needed to come get my dog and take him to the vet because he ran under her car when she was leaving. $25 to euthanize, $450 to fix a broke leg.....I didn't have that kind of money at the time. Hardest day of my life hands down, and she still hasn't forgiven herself for it. I still haven't gotten another dog.

Timing will be different for everyone....be strong brotha

Post #11   5/20/13 4:49:26PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
it all depends on how bad you need a dog. i live in the sticks and i always need a large outdoors dog to watch the place. when my dog was put down i only waited a few months. long enough to find the breed i wanted. if you are going to get a puppy than you know its gonna be a pain in the ass for like 8-12 months, so maybe wait until you are ready to take on that challenge.

Post #12   5/20/13 5:02:00PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
A week before christmas '11 our st. Bernard bit our youngest daughter(3 at the time) in the face. We put him down the next day as we were turned away by kennels and rescues because he was blind in one eye and he was a massive doe 180 lbs. they felt that no one would want to adopt a dog with that on his record with his size. So on chirstmas eve MrsSpidersilva took the kids to the puppy store and i get a text of this cute basset hound puppy. So thinking it was a great idea I said okay. Not doing any looking up of the breed till we had the dog found out they were one of the loudest noisest breeds out there. They are also vary sensitive and I'm a yeller. A few months ago we found a wonderful family/Basset rescue for her to live with as she was just too much for the Spidersilva household. My oldest daughter was devistated that I made up my mind to find her a new home. We didn't have time to spend training her and she was just not the right fit. The best thing about the family that took sausage was they gave my daughter their phone number and she is free to visit or call to check up on the dog.

My advise from this story. Just don't jump into the next dog. Make sure to resurch the breed. Last if you have other dogs/pets/kids doyou have time to spend to train it? if not I would say its not time.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #13   5/20/13 6:05:35PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I waited about 3 years. My dog really was the best friend i've had.
I still have dreams about her all the time,and some mornings after a dream about her It feels like she was laying right their in my bed,curled up in a ball by my feet.

I honestly believe dogs really are a mans best friend.

Post #14   5/20/13 8:37:23PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:710-345
Chips:
My sympathies really go out to you. Losing my dog was the most devastating thing that I've ever dealt with (and I've dealt with quite a few devastating life events). it literally broke my heart.

Nothing and no other dog will ever replace this dog that you're losing. I think someone explained it to me like having two kids - they'll be different but you'll love them both in different ways.

I had a lot of guilt about getting another dog. I waited 4 months. To be honest - it was the only thing that really brought me out of my sad-slump. Can't lie though - I still cry for that dog sometimes.

I don't think there's any right amount of time - just take a week or two and assess the situation and how you feel about it and do whatever feels right.

Big hugs for Friday. :(

Post #15   5/20/13 9:47:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2