Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Your REAL Friday night weapon of choice.

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

thetom

Learning to Sprawl

thetom Avatar

Career:52-28
Chips:
My SOG mini pentagon bootknife is my favorite non-handgun weapon, but I don't really carry it.

I usually carry a small Cold Steel serrated push knife on my key chain just about everywhere I go. It is quite handy for cutting stuff!

Post #16   1/30/07 2:16:21PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I like those as well, but never got around to ordering one. My friends father works the ER in Lowell, Mass. (a shithole of a city) and wears one all the time though.

I'm not a fan of serrated blades because they get caught on muscle and bone, but the sensation of getting cut with one tends to take the fight out of people quicker.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #17   1/31/07 4:40:29AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I don't carry anything.

I did carry something (over 5 years ago) when I was rollerblading (14km) home from my summer job at 4am.

I made a custom kuboton that was about a foot long and weighed a ton. I carried it in case a stray dog came after me..... it happened before a couple times.

Post #18   3/24/07 10:33:02PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Wow, I thought a forum supposedly filled with martial artists would have some concept of self-defense. Clearly I gave you folks more credit than you deserved.

Some of us, or at least I am opposed the gun laws you have in the US. Our culture here is very different to yours and to me it sounds crazy that you "need" to pack a bunch of weapons when heading out to town.

I'm in town partying at least twice a week and I've never been in a violent confrontation in my entire life so I've therefore never even carried a knife on me.

Post #19   3/24/07 11:05:27PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by mrsumo

If you need to carry all of that when you go out at night you are either really paranoid or an asshole.

If being prepared to defend myself and my loved ones makes me an asshole, then yes, I'm a gigantic asshole.

na man your right on, where i lve there are alot of messed up people that would start shit or harm you for no reason, you cant even park your car to fish or hike w/o the bastards screwing with it. its knid of scarry to think of all the f'd up people out there

Post #20   3/25/07 12:54:59AM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
dude its not when your in town but rather out. have you ever seen the movie deliverance? pretty soon you will be squeling like a pig.....weeeeeeeeee weeeeee

Post #21   3/25/07 12:58:23AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Svartorm

Wow, I thought a forum supposedly filled with martial artists would have some concept of self-defense. Clearly I gave you folks more credit than you deserved.

Some of us, or at least I am opposed the gun laws you have in the US. Our culture here is very different to yours and to me it sounds crazy that you "need" to pack a bunch of weapons when heading out to town.

I'm in town partying at least twice a week and I've never been in a violent confrontation in my entire life so I've therefore never even carried a knife on me.

The first thing I do when I hit Sweden is go to a bank and pick up two rolls of 10 Kronar coins to use as handpacks.

As for your culture, you guys are extremely laid back, and have a tendancy to turn the other cheek, which is all well and good until someone comes along to take advantage of that.

About a month ago I read that Gothemburg was having problems with Albanian teenagers banding together for muggings, and running protection rackets. You generally don't hear about that kind of thing here because those scams only last until they start with the wrong guy and end up face down on the floor waiting for the cops to arrest them, or with a sucking chest wound.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #22   3/25/07 4:27:24AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Aw, look svartom, it's the thread where we met. I havn't seen this one pop up in a while.

I will admit that while I don't carry anything but old thunder and lighting now, about ten years ago when I first left the army and went into security my buddy and I carried everything we could. We had a pretty impressive collection of firearms as well as anything we thought looked cool. Slapjacks, ninja keychains, bootknives, a knife on a chain around the neck, stun guns(the kind you get at the little markets that take 9volt batteries), all kinds of crap. I even had a set of throwing knives that looked like playing cards, and some nunchucks that collapsed and fit in a little belt pouch. My personal favorite was a comb with a polymer knife in the handle. It was cool because it could get through airport security! Then we got tired of weighing our pants down and went to less and less. Then I had kids and sold the guns.

Post #23   3/25/07 4:47:09AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I actually thought the drinking thread was about weapons, so I figured I'd start a weapons thread. Does anyone carry anything for protection when heading out to town or somewhere potentially dangerous? My typical carry set- up is:

A Sig P229 .40 Cal
A Berreta Tomcat .32 cal
A Cold Steel Recon with straight edge and tanto point
A Blackjack

Better than that. A bunch of Military buds. Always tough and will always back you up in a brawl. Not to mention they can drink their asses off and still pound the punks.

Not to mention carry concealed weapons is usually illegal.

Last edited 3/25/07 10:58AM server time by madmarck
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   3/25/07 10:51:00AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsumo
Aw, look svartom, it's the thread where we met. I havn't seen this one pop up in a while.....

....Then I had kids and sold the guns.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! Sorry.

I don't know if you're interested, but a dude named Masaad Ayoob wrote a book about bringing children up around firearms, and from what I hear, its extremely well-written and has been used many times.

My father, being a Vietnam vet and avid hunter, has always had piles of guns around the house, and I was brought up to be respectful of them. The general idea, which Mas brings up in his book, is that if you don't hide things at an early age, the kids won't mess with them because its not "forbidden" and therefore not worth looking at. Theres a lot more to it, but the idea is, if you bring up the children with firearms around, they'll be respectful of them. You've gotta realize that while you might have sold all your guns, that doesn't mean the parents of our childrens friends have, and without that proper instruction and upbringing regarding firearms, they could find themselves in trouble if they happen upon a gun in someone elses home or even on the street.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #25   3/25/07 10:23:06PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

In my state its $10 for a 5 year permit. If you don't have the permit, you can still carry, but it has to be open carry.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #26   3/25/07 10:24:43PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
It wasn't about having the guns around the children, it's that children are expensive and whenever we fell behind on money I sold my guns. It was like a bunch of little savings accounts that I could play with. I had fun with them for a while but I don't miss them. Oh, and my bro and i were ayoob nutriders for a while. We read all his stuff and went to one of his seminars on the weaver and it's variations.

Post #27   3/26/07 12:21:38AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Thats the other thing I like about guns. They never decrease in value.

Mas actually lives about twenty minutes from my house in Manchester, NH. I'd go to Lethal Force Institute if I had the cash, but he wants something like $800 nowadays. I could buy another gun for that much. Plus I'm firmly against Weaver stance and strong-side draw in general, so I'd get all kinds of weird looks there.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #28   3/26/07 1:07:36AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by madmarck

In my state its $10 for a 5 year permit. If you don't have the permit, you can still carry, but it has to be open carry.

Thats why i live in Canada. We dont usually bring guns to bars........... or anywhere actually. What is the point? If everyone brings one chacnes of people dying go way up.

If noboyd brings a gun all you get is a bloody nose/lip or a black eye.

Post #29   3/26/07 2:32:51PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Its a fact that over 90% of violent or potentially violent confrontations end when a firearm is displayed, so logically, the chances of people dying would go down in that case. Besides the fact that everyone in a bar is armed to some capacity. Pool sticks, beer bottles, mugs, chairs, etc can all kill someone. A firearm just ensure you're better armed than the other guy, and holds you to a higher level of responsibility to avoid conflicts with people if at all possible. As the saying goes "An armed society is a polite society."

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #30   3/27/07 12:36:13AM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5