Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate Diaz calls Bryan Caraway 'biggest fag in the world' for accepting submission of the night bonus

Print  
  Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Svartorm

If you're seriously offended by someone saying "fag", then you're a fag.

I'd say that your statement, while probably a misguided attempt at being humorous, is 100% spot on. It's reasonable that 90% of the individuals offended by the slur are indeed those individuals whom the slur refers to. It's offensive to people, regardless of your silly self-proclaimed interpretation.

In my experience, and I have a gay brother-in-law and several gay friends and acquaintances, very few are offended by that usage of "fag". Some of these guys actually use it in that exact same context. The guys that would be offended are generally those who are offended by absolutely anything and would also freak out if you said someone was "black" rather than "African-American." There's no pleasing people like that unless you walk on eggshells for the rest of your life.

For something to be offensive/racist/discriminatory, there needs to be context. There was none in that statement and I can't see a reasonable person being offended by it.

Also, my self-interpretation is no more "silly" than your own, being as we're discussing this from the same perspective.

It's amazing how many times people try and justify their opinions by saying they have friends and family who are members of the potentially offended group. It doesn't matter how many gay people you know, you are a straight person approving of a derogatory word designed to insult homosexual people. It's not your place to make that decision about such a word. There is no justifiable context for it's use by you. I agree 100% that there does have to be a line drawn in terms of reasonable expectations for people, but fag is blatantly offensive.

If a gay person uses the term, that is their prerogative, but they just like the use of the n word in the black community, there will be backlash against gay people using it too.

Last edited 5/18/13 1:54PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #61   5/18/13 1:50:44PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,210-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
We should have a Bryan Caraway News subforum.

He's dominating the MMA news lately.

Post #62   5/18/13 2:16:25PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by iwannabesedated

Funny Dana can say,cuss and bash anything or anyone he wants with no punishment.

Just a PC move by the UFC....To me the word fag doesn't really associate with homosexuals, I call my friends fags all the time knowing they're aren't gay, Fag IMO is just like a douche ...Plus we all know Caraway dates Tate so he isn't a fag in a Homosexual sense.Ever since Dana had the run-ins with Forrest,Torres,Mitrione for their views on different things, I think he feels obligated to punish anyone for borderline dumb shit they say.

If you aren't gay, than it's not your place to determine what the context is. Just like the use of the n word is not justifiable by any white person, ever, because we will never understand the severity of the word.

Context is everything with language and you don't determine how it works. Just like if a best friend says "Hi fuckface!" to you vs a complete stranger, the context is EVERYTHING.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #63   5/18/13 3:04:50PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If no one said Fag, the word would be much more offensive. By having the viewpoint that no one should use it colloquailly you end up giving the word more power.

If the end goal is not offending gay people, putting the word on this dont touch pedestal is a disservice to the cause.

If you actually want the word to lose power, demean the integrity of its usage. Say it more often, and switch the context away from being gay.

If i was gay, i would be more offended by people automatically attaching the idea of fag to gay whenever its used. Like really, think about that.

"That guys being a fag" someone jumps up and says, "hey fags are gay people, dont be homophobic". Which guy do you think you are?

Post #64   5/18/13 4:16:54PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

If no one said Fag, the word would be much more offensive. By having the viewpoint that no one should use it colloquailly you end up giving the word more power.

If the end goal is not offending gay people, putting the word on this dont touch pedestal is a disservice to the cause.

If you actually want the word to lose power, demean the integrity of its usage. Say it more often, and switch the context away from being gay.

If i was gay, i would be more offended by people automatically attaching the idea of fag to gay whenever its used. Like really, think about that.

"That guys being a fag" someone jumps up and says, "hey fags are gay people, dont be homophobic". Which guy do you think you are?

Dude, there is no other meaning to the word fag, other than it being a gay slur (yes, cigarettes in Britain, but that isn't the same thing). The reason why it's popular is because people want to heckle their male counterparts by essentially questioning their manhood. It's been acceptable up until recently, because homosexuality has been considered a deviant, misunderstood way of life, so a large portion of society didn't gave a shit. You can't sugarcoat a word that is built on hate.

Last edited 5/18/13 8:16PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #65   5/18/13 8:16:10PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by warglory

Funny Dana can say,cuss and bash anything or anyone he wants with no punishment.

Just a PC move by the UFC....To me the word fag doesn't really associate with homosexuals, I call my friends fags all the time knowing they're aren't gay, Fag IMO is just like a douche ...Plus we all know Caraway dates Tate so he isn't a fag in a Homosexual sense.Ever since Dana had the run-ins with Forrest,Torres,Mitrione for their views on different things, I think he feels obligated to punish anyone for borderline dumb shit they say.

If you aren't gay, than it's not your place to determine what the context is. Just like the use of the n word is not justifiable by any white person, ever, because we will never understand the severity of the word.

Context is everything with language and you don't determine how it works. Just like if a best friend says "Hi fuckface!" to you vs a complete stranger, the context is EVERYTHING.

Alright, go call a black person a "niggah," as a term of endearment, and see how that works out for you. You may think of it as being in a different context, but you can't re-brand a word to not hurt a large segment of the population.

Post #66   5/18/13 8:20:43PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Dude, there is no other meaning to the word fag, other than it being a gay slur (yes, cigarettes in Britain, but that isn't the same thing). The reason why it's popular is because people want to heckle their male counterparts by essentially questioning their manhood. It's been acceptable up until recently, because homosexuality has been considered a deviant, misunderstood way of life, so a large portion of society didn't gave a shit. You can't sugarcoat a word that is built on hate.

Theres about half a dozen meanings for fag.

A cigerette, a bundle of sticks, an old person, someone who gathers fire wood, a friend being a douche, a little bird, a soldier hired to fill ranks without need, and a british meatball.

Its common nowadays to focus on the negative term used for gay people, Ignoring all other meanings only makes the word more hateful.

Post #67   5/18/13 8:25:42PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by warglory

Alright, go call a black person a "niggah," as a term of endearment, and see how that works out for you. You may think of it as being in a different context, but you can't re-brand a word to not hurt a large segment of the population.

The context of the situation would be like calling a white person a niggah. Since Caraway isnt a black person.

Post #68   5/18/13 8:27:04PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by warglory

That is apples and oranges. Fag is a unique word in that regard, just like sissy is essentially the exact same word, but far more acceptable in society.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #69   5/18/13 8:28:59PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

A cigerette, a bundle of sticks, an old person, someone who gathers fire wood, a friend being a douche, a little bird, a soldier hired to fill ranks without need, and a british meatball.

Its common nowadays to focus on the negative term used for gay people, Ignoring all other meanings only makes the word more hateful.

Yes, but when you call someone a fag, you aren't intending it's use to be "a bundle of sticks"

Post #70   5/19/13 10:16:16AM   

One_Hit_Quit

MMA Regular

One_Hit_Quit Avatar

Career:2,199-1,235
Chips:
I saw this shit on the ticker for CNN: UFC suspends Nate Diaz for homophobic slur. This means MMA is main stream right?

Post #71   5/20/13 2:25:44PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Yes, but when you call someone a fag, you aren't intending it's use to be "a bundle of sticks"

You're correct. Im intending it's use to be "a douchebag".

Either the intent matters or it doesn't.

Post #72   5/21/13 5:00:54PM   

Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5