Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

Nate Diaz calls Bryan Caraway 'biggest fag in the world' for accepting submission of the night bonus

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Nate Diaz calls Bryan Caraway 'biggest fag in the world' for accepting submission of the night bonus
Posted By Message

iwannabesedated
In Full Mount

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career record: 962-581
Season: 34-18 (#124)
Bankroll: $1,690 (#902)
501 posts
Joined 3/09

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by iwannabesedated

Funny Dana can say,cuss and bash anything or anyone he wants with no punishment.

Just a PC move by the UFC....To me the word fag doesn't really associate with homosexuals, I call my friends fags all the time knowing they're aren't gay, Fag IMO is just like a douche ...Plus we all know Caraway dates Tate so he isn't a fag in a Homosexual sense.Ever since Dana had the run-ins with Forrest,Torres,Mitrione for their views on different things, I think he feels obligated to punish anyone for borderline dumb shit they say.

Rousey and Rashad Evans got passes though. Rousey referred to gender reassignment surgery as "having your pecker cut off", which would be more offensive to a transsexual than a half-hearted "fag" ever would. Evans made a joke about child molesters and got a pass.

Well technically having your pecker cut-off is gender reassignment, And child molestation is bit different than being gay. With all the gay stuff " and i mean that in a literal sense" with athletes from other sports coming out and possible gay UFC fighters, i just think their trying to be more PC about gay slurs in general. I don't view the pecker cut off as gay slur...but that's just me and i agree with your points no argument, just looking at it through a different pair of glasses.

but then again, Rousey and Rashad $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited 5/17/13 1:35PM by iwannabesedated
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #46   5/17/13 1:34:14PM   

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career record: 1199-756
Season: 31-21 (#601)
Bankroll: $1,363 (#1096)
4059 posts
Joined 1/07
If you're seriously offended by someone saying "fag", then you're a fag.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #47   5/17/13 1:34:29PM   

NE-1
MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar
Career record: 1115-741
Season: 27-18 (#970)
Bankroll: $3,341 (#139)
177 posts
Joined 4/07

Posted by Svartorm

I'd say that your statement, while probably a misguided attempt at being humorous, is 100% spot on. It's reasonable that 90% of the individuals offended by the slur are indeed those individuals whom the slur refers to. It's offensive to people, regardless of your silly self-proclaimed interpretation.

Last edited 5/17/13 1:57PM by ne-1

Post #48   5/17/13 1:56:18PM   

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

4059 posts
Joined 1/07

Well technically having your pecker cut-off is gender reassignment, And child molestation is bit different than being gay. With all the gay stuff " and i mean that in a literal sense" with athletes from other sports coming out and possible gay UFC fighters, i just think their trying to be more PC about gay slurs in general. I don't view the pecker cut off as gay slur...but that's just me and i agree with your points no argument, just looking at it through a different pair of glasses.

but then again, Rousey and Rashad $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's not a gay slur, but it's more insensitive to transsexuals than "fag" would ever be to a homosexual.

Gender reassignment is THE life-changing event of a transsexual's life, and her words trivialized it to the point of being ridiculous. That would be like if someone's child died of leukemia and you said "they got sick and kicked the bucket." Its offensive in that you blew it off almost entirely.

Granted, I don't think any of them should be punished, but I'd be more offended by RR if I was a transsexual than I would be at Diaz if I were homosexual, I'd imagine.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #49   5/17/13 2:07:00PM   

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

4059 posts
Joined 1/07

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Svartorm

I'd say that your statement, while probably a misguided attempt at being humorous, is 100% spot on. It's reasonable that 90% of the individuals offended by the slur are indeed those individuals whom the slur refers to. It's offensive to people, regardless of your silly self-proclaimed interpretation.

In my experience, and I have a gay brother-in-law and several gay friends and acquaintances, very few are offended by that usage of "fag". Some of these guys actually use it in that exact same context. The guys that would be offended are generally those who are offended by absolutely anything and would also freak out if you said someone was "black" rather than "African-American." There's no pleasing people like that unless you walk on eggshells for the rest of your life.

For something to be offensive/racist/discriminatory, there needs to be context. There was none in that statement and I can't see a reasonable person being offended by it.

Also, my self-interpretation is no more "silly" than your own, being as we're discussing this from the same perspective.

Last edited 5/17/13 2:18PM by svartorm

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #50   5/17/13 2:17:54PM   

iwannabesedated
In Full Mount

iwannabesedated Avatar

501 posts
Joined 3/09

Posted by Svartorm

It's not a gay slur, but it's more insensitive to transsexuals than "fag" would ever be to a homosexual.

Gender reassignment is THE life-changing event of a transsexual's life, and her words trivialized it to the point of being ridiculous. That would be like if someone's child died of leukemia and you said "they got sick and kicked the bucket." Its offensive in that you blew it off almost entirely.

Granted, I don't think any of them should be punished, but I'd be more offended by RR if I was a transsexual than I would be at Diaz if I were homosexual, I'd imagine.

Calling a gay person fag is on par with the N word for black people IMO, Telling a transsexual hey you got your balls chopped is a fact...I don't think comparing it cancer is fair.... death isn't an option you don't choose it unless you commit asuicide.... it just happens, getting your gentials rearranged is a choice and if you're going to do things like that you're going to be ridiculed by the majority who "don't get it" or "don't agree" with it. You don;t choose to get cancer and die you chose to get your balls cut off.

Last edited 5/17/13 2:30PM by iwannabesedated

Post #51   5/17/13 2:29:32PM   

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

4059 posts
Joined 1/07
Whether it's a choice or not is irrelevant to the point made.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #52   5/17/13 2:56:10PM   

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career record: 1171-690
Season: 38-14 (#132)
Bankroll: $4,817 (#70)
4824 posts
Joined 4/07
UFC should be more even-handed with their punishments (looking at you Rousey and Evans) and be more careful that they are not punishing the same kinds of behavior that their brass and spokespersons engage in (looking at you Dana and Joe).

That said, the UFC is smart to start addressing the problem head on. Things are going well, but the UFC needs to do all it can to expand beyond its image of a sport for affliction t-shirt wearing bros. Being seen as a homophobic sport in 2013 will do nothing but hurt it in the eyes of FOX, Budweiser, and the democratic legislators whose ear they need to be able to get MMA in NY and steer clear of future antitrust investigations.

Post #53   5/17/13 3:52:59PM   

iwannabesedated
In Full Mount

iwannabesedated Avatar

501 posts
Joined 3/09

Posted by Svartorm

Why not ?

If you chose to do questionable things, You're putting yourself out there to be mocked or ridiculed. Society will always judge for the actions of one.

Post #54   5/17/13 3:55:04PM   

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career record: 737-473
Season: 16-16 (#1319)
Bankroll: $290 (#1630)
5009 posts
Joined 5/10
F (fans)
A (against)
G (GREASE St. Pierre)

Post #55   5/17/13 3:58:19PM   

BACK OFF WAR CHILD!

emfleek Avatar

Career record: 1186-614
Season: 19-17 (#1170)
Bankroll: $4,221 (#89)
18641 posts
Joined 11/07

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

F (fans)
A (against)
G (GREASE St. Pierre)

/thread

Post #56   5/17/13 10:00:36PM   

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

4059 posts
Joined 1/07

Posted by Svartorm

Why not ?

If you chose to do questionable things, You're putting yourself out there to be mocked or ridiculed. Society will always judge for the actions of one.

You're getting way off course dude, and when you're discussing conduct on a professional level, there shouldn't be any of these caveats like "choice".

Either Dana White, Nate Diaz, Matt Mitrione and Ronda Rousey can all call someone a fag outside of a derogatory context, or they all can't. That's the point.

As it stands, two people on that list say whatever comes into their heads and the other two are fined and suspended.

Fallon Fox choosing to have surgery doesn't then make it ok to be crass about it, just as Liz Carmouche choosing to be an out lesbian in the fight world doesn't make it ok to insult her.

A Code of Conduct has to be applied evenly or not at all. No wiggle room and no exceptions.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #57   5/17/13 11:07:21PM   

Shame Shame Larry!

Kpro Avatar

Career record: 1140-599
Season: 35-17 (#11)
Bankroll: $1,202 (#1227)
6862 posts
Joined 1/07

You don;t choose to get cancer and die you chose to get your balls cut off.

Wait, are we being asked? I'll take the cancer and die option please.

Post #58   5/18/13 4:31:06AM   

warglory
Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar
Career record: 474-323
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
4023 posts
Joined 2/07

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by warglory

Question to those who don't think Nate should be penalized for his verbiage. If he had thrown out the n word, would you have the same reaction? That he shouldn;t be held to the same standards as the rest of the general public? Fag is just as hateful as the n word, but it's far more acceptable to use in our society.

Fag is, 99% of the time, not used in the hate speech context so that doesn't work the same way.

An athlete could say something so repulsive that he would be fined, but it would have to be something you'd go out of your way to talk about to make it on that list.

Tell that to a gay person who has to hear it everyday. You are in a very safe, naive place if you believe that fag is used in an appropriate context 99% of the time.

Post #59   5/18/13 1:40:22PM   

warglory
Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar
Career record: 474-323
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
4023 posts
Joined 2/07

Funny Dana can say,cuss and bash anything or anyone he wants with no punishment.

Just a PC move by the UFC....To me the word fag doesn't really associate with homosexuals, I call my friends fags all the time knowing they're aren't gay, Fag IMO is just like a douche ...Plus we all know Caraway dates Tate so he isn't a fag in a Homosexual sense.Ever since Dana had the run-ins with Forrest,Torres,Mitrione for their views on different things, I think he feels obligated to punish anyone for borderline dumb shit they say.

If you aren't gay, than it's not your place to determine what the context is. Just like the use of the n word is not justifiable by any white person, ever, because we will never understand the severity of the word.

Post #60   5/18/13 1:43:54PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Username:

Password:

Keep me logged in