Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate Diaz calls Bryan Caraway 'biggest fag in the world' for accepting submission of the night bonus

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
A couple things here;

1. He (Healy) didn't win submission of the night as the fight ended in a no contest. Healy is fully responsible for operating within the guidelines of the contract he agreed to. He did not, therefore his is not afforded anything. (the marijuana debate, it's irrelevant here)

2. Caraway is right to accept the bonus. Why does he owe Healy anything?

3. What Diaz said was stupid and insensitive. As a professional athlete with thousands of fans/followers; going to a public forum and spouting such nonsense is idiotic. Because he does represent the UFC as an employee; such comments made in public can be subject to employer retribution.

I am not the sensitive type, nor am I offended by what he said. Probably because what he said isn't applicable to me and that's probably why the majority of you aren't offended either. That doesn't make the comments less offensive. There are forms of etiquette that should be maintained and Diaz has violated them.

Post #31   5/17/13 11:46:10AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Question to those who don't think Nate should be penalized for his verbiage. If he had thrown out the n word, would you have the same reaction? That he shouldn;t be held to the same standards as the rest of the general public? Fag is just as hateful as the n word, but it's far more acceptable to use in our society.

Post #32   5/17/13 11:46:13AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Svartorm

Stupid thing to say, although I don't like editing fighters. Didn't agree with Mitrione and don't agree with this.

Who wants cookie-cutter comments from fighters? They're real people with real personalities. Diaz is polarizing because of this, and that's fine by me.

Any other sport players get fined for their comments or ones the league perceives to be over the top. Why is this different? Because Nate has a real personality?

I don't agree with any sports figure being fined for what they say, whether is be Diaz, Mitrione or back when Miguel Torres got shitcanned for it. They're people, not automatons, and if they say things people don't like, they'll withdraw their support.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #33   5/17/13 12:05:34PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

3. What Diaz said was stupid and insensitive. As a professional athlete with thousands of fans/followers; going to a public forum and spouting such nonsense is idiotic. Because he does represent the UFC as an employee; such comments made in public can be subject to employer retribution.

Joe Rogan says "fag" all the time.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #34   5/17/13 12:07:25PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,535-895
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

A couple things here;

1. He (Healy) didn't win submission of the night as the fight ended in a no contest. Healy is fully responsible for operating within the guidelines of the contract he agreed to. He did not, therefore his is not afforded anything. (the marijuana debate, it's irrelevant here)

I am not the sensitive type, nor am I offended by what he said. Probably because what he said isn't applicable to me and that's probably why the majority of you aren't offended either. That doesn't make the comments less offensive. There are forms of etiquette that should be maintained and Diaz has violated them.

Keep in mind though, Caraway is the biggest fag in the world.

Post #35   5/17/13 12:12:54PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,821-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by NE-1

A couple things here;

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #36   5/17/13 12:22:01PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by NE-1

Joe Rogan says "fag" all the time.

Hardly a justification for the behavior. Also, I emphasize the comments being made in a public forum. Since no one tends to listen to much of anything joe rogan says, the same rules don't apply.

(Joking aside I've never heard him say it. If you are referring to his "comedy", it's irrelevant. Stand up comedy seems to be the one safe medium for racism and bigotry)

Post #37   5/17/13 12:22:25PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by NE-1

A couple things here;

I rescind my argument, as the above information was not made clear to me until now.

Post #38   5/17/13 12:24:05PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,821-1,143
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

A couple things here;

You mean Caraway didn't win SOTN. cause he didn't that night. They shouldn't have given it to anyone. Hell they could have even added it to the next event for an event bigger SOTN bonus.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #39   5/17/13 12:26:58PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,709-1,418
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Svartorm

Stupid thing to say, although I don't like editing fighters. Didn't agree with Mitrione and don't agree with this.

Who wants cookie-cutter comments from fighters? They're real people with real personalities. Diaz is polarizing because of this, and that's fine by me.

Any other sport players get fined for their comments or ones the league perceives to be over the top. Why is this different? Because Nate has a real personality?

I don't agree with any sports figure being fined for what they say, whether is be Diaz, Mitrione or back when Miguel Torres got shitcanned for it. They're people, not automatons, and if they say things people don't like, they'll withdraw their support.

Sure if sponsors and things of that nature weren't involved or marketing the players/fighters then sure. But thats not the case

Post #40   5/17/13 12:27:58PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Question to those who don't think Nate should be penalized for his verbiage. If he had thrown out the n word, would you have the same reaction? That he shouldn;t be held to the same standards as the rest of the general public? Fag is just as hateful as the n word, but it's far more acceptable to use in our society.

Fag is, 99% of the time, not used in the hate speech context so that doesn't work the same way.

An athlete could say something so repulsive that he would be fined, but it would have to be something you'd go out of your way to talk about to make it on that list.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #41   5/17/13 12:48:23PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,931-1,117
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Funny Dana can say,cuss and bash anything or anyone he wants with no punishment.

Just a PC move by the UFC....To me the word fag doesn't really associate with homosexuals, I call my friends fags all the time knowing they're aren't gay, Fag IMO is just like a douche ...Plus we all know Caraway dates Tate so he isn't a fag in a Homosexual sense.Ever since Dana had the run-ins with Forrest,Torres,Mitrione for their views on different things, I think he feels obligated to punish anyone for borderline dumb shit they say.

Post #42   5/17/13 1:00:42PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Sure if sponsors and things of that nature weren't involved or marketing the players/fighters then sure. But thats not the case

The sponsorship thing works both ways though. He could lose his own personal sponsors for running his mouth.

The fact that his brother was given a title shot off of a loss and a drug suspension shows exactly how concerned the UFC is about "bad press". Floyd Mayweather is one of the most hated men in combat sports and he's the biggest PPV draw. Diaz saying "fag" doesn't hurt anyone.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #43   5/17/13 1:10:19PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

Funny Dana can say,cuss and bash anything or anyone he wants with no punishment.

Just a PC move by the UFC....To me the word fag doesn't really associate with homosexuals, I call my friends fags all the time knowing they're aren't gay, Fag IMO is just like a douche ...Plus we all know Caraway dates Tate so he isn't a fag in a Homosexual sense.Ever since Dana had the run-ins with Forrest,Torres,Mitrione for their views on different things, I think he feels obligated to punish anyone for borderline dumb shit they say.

Rousey and Rashad Evans got passes though. Rousey referred to gender reassignment surgery as "having your pecker cut off", which would be more offensive to a transsexual than a half-hearted "fag" ever would. Evans made a joke about child molesters and got a pass.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #44   5/17/13 1:12:10PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,709-1,418
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Shawn91111

The sponsorship thing works both ways though. He could lose his own personal sponsors for running his mouth.

The fact that his brother was given a title shot off of a loss and a drug suspension shows exactly how concerned the UFC is about "bad press". Floyd Mayweather is one of the most hated men in combat sports and he's the biggest PPV draw. Diaz saying "fag" doesn't hurt anyone.

You dont know who it hurts and doesnt hurt, you cant predict any of that and what comes from it. The UFC has spun losses and title shots, in their eyes, something positive time and time again. And it really has to do with who you are and how big of a draw they are. Had

Post #45   5/17/13 1:25:06PM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5