Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

missed a phone job interview. oops

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It was with caribou coffee. I thought it was at 1 my time. Turns out it was at 1 central time 12 mine.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #1   5/10/13 2:37:11PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
bummer. would you have to move to take that job?

Post #2   5/10/13 2:42:46PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
No. but with a lot of store manager interviews you have to go through the regional hr first.

I had an awesome interview with Harley yesterday. That's the job I really want. Best part is it's not a supervisor position but parts like one.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   5/10/13 2:49:10PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Dude that sucks big time.

Post #4   5/10/13 3:02:34PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Chips:
eh I fucked up an interview a month or so ago. Didnt go well.

Post #5   5/10/13 3:58:40PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

eh I fucked up an interview a month or so ago. Didnt go well.

At least you had one, there is nothing more frustrating that putting yourself out there and hearing absolutely nothing back.

I hope you get that Harley job spida

Post #6   5/10/13 5:30:28PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I have worked for the same company 13 years. I decided to test the waters a few months back. I did good on 2 interviews one I was offered the job but didn't take it since it was about 1/3 of what I make now. The other they told me I was over qulifyed. A month of online applications and no call back I took a break.

Post #7   5/10/13 6:39:20PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman
The other they told me I was over qulifyed.

Is this an actual thing? I hear this all the time and it has to be off the chart stupid. 'Sorry, we think you will be too good at this job'. Absolute nonsense. You applied for that job for a reason, it isn't like you said 'I'll take this job but because I'm so super qualified I want more money'. You said I want THIS job. The concept of being "over" qualified doesn't even make real sense.

Post #8   5/12/13 4:49:34PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Is this an actual thing? I hear this all the time and it has to be off the chart stupid. 'Sorry, we think you will be too good at this job'. Absolute nonsense. You applied for that job for a reason, it isn't like you said 'I'll take this job but because I'm so super qualified I want more money'. You said I want THIS job. The concept of being "over" qualified doesn't even make real sense.

Yes, happened to a friend of mine. Worked on Wall Street and a VP with SAC Capital Advisors. He wanted to move back closer to his and his wifes parents so they could see their grand kids. Tried getting something closer but was met with the over qualified. Basically people didnt want to lose their jobs to someone with a better skill set.

Last edited 5/13/13 3:24PM server time by shawn91111
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #9   5/12/13 5:22:55PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Yes, happened to a friend of mine. Worked on Wall Street and a VP with SAC Capital Advisors. He wanted to move back closer to his and his wives parents so they could see their grand kids. Tried getting something closer but was met with the over qualified. Basically people didnt want to lose their jobs to someone with a better skill set.

Yeah I think it had more to do with I already had a job so I could name my number. There are a ton of people out there looking for work so my theory is they found someone who could fill the spot and was willing to do so for less then I was.

Post #10   5/13/13 11:00:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
Had a bank offer me a job. I'm a bakery manager
So offering me a job. When I have no skills for it made me
Wonder what are they on crack ?

Post #11   5/13/13 3:44:22PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Had a bank offer me a job. I'm a bakery manager
So offering me a job. When I have no skills for it made me
Wonder what are they on crack ?

Depends on what the job is for. If its a step up and can only add to your set of skills or resume then you have to think about the positives not the why would they want me. You can always be trained to do the job.

Post #12   5/13/13 4:40:52PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

This is absolutely a real thing. I've been on both sides of it...I've turned away applicants, as well as been the applicant. This is especially common in today's job market. There are a few different reasons for it, although it usually boils down to this...turnover is expensive for any business. If you are having trouble finding a job in your field, what do you do? Eventually, you settle for a lesser job for less pay, since it's better than nothing. This is a red flag for an employer though, since you'll leave dust in your wake the very second something better comes along. Then they have to go trough the entire hiring/training process again. It becomes very time consuming and expensive. Or, they could just hire someone who is more appropriately qualified and a better fit. And it's an employer's market right now, so this is not usually an issue in most areas/cases. If an employer feels you would be "settling" for the job, there's a good chance you'll get looked past. Obviously, the greater the gap in experience/education/talent there is, the better chance of this happening.

Post #13   5/13/13 8:00:24PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

they told me I was over qualified

Try using a cover letter on any job you're overqualified for stating that you're attending online classes full time for the next two years and want a steady job throughout that period. It'll generate a few more call-backs. I've even removed a degree and some work experience to make myself appear to be "their type" of candidate so messing around with the resume can help too. Unfortunate that things like that have to be done, but it's the nature of the beast.

Post #14   5/13/13 8:28:04PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by postman

they told me I was over qualified

Try using a cover letter on any job you're overqualified for stating that you're attending online classes full time for the next two years and want a steady job throughout that period. It'll generate a few more call-backs. I've even removed a degree and some work experience to make myself appear to be "their type" of candidate so messing around with the resume can help too. Unfortunate that things like that have to be done, but it's the nature of the beast.

Never would have thought to do this, I always go in trying to look the best I can. That being said I already have a good job so a pay cut isn't something I'd be willing to take.

Post #15   5/14/13 10:33:43AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2