Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White says the UFC is working on new MMA gloves

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The gloves used in MMA have never been a perfect fit for the sport and have led to a lot of eyepokes over the years. To try and change this, UFC president Dana White says they're working on making a new type of glove.

Link

Post #1   5/8/13 10:57:09PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
tbh i cant really see another glove providing enough dexterity to be accepted by the fighters

prove me wrong though

Post #2   5/8/13 11:52:27PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:758-484
Chips:
Curious to see if they are actually doing this or just trying to pretend like they're working on something. I agree with the OG, the problem is fingers not gloves.

Post #3   5/9/13 12:01:30AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
im a fighter and i dont want any other glove. i understand that there is a possibility of getting poked in the eye. there's also a possibility of getting my ass beat, i can live with all of this.

Post #4   5/9/13 1:27:07AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:758-484
Chips:
Here's my question. If a fighter is putting his hands that close to the other guys eye.... DOES IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE FUCKING GLOVE?!?

Honestly, if i was wearing an oven mitt, hockey glove, latex glove, etc. you're always gonna poke the guy's eye if your hand is there. Maybe they're just gonna build a glove out of eye drops. Who knows.

Post #5   5/9/13 1:55:21AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
The current gloves aren't the issue. I say leave them be. The real issue is fighters who put their open hands out there a lot, the failure of the referees to warn them or punish them and also sh*t luck. Sometimes these things just happen. Leave the gloves alone for crying out loud.

Last edited 5/9/13 2:13AM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   5/9/13 2:12:55AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,423-873
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
If they are seriously working on this then they should have Cub Swanson on speed dial. The suggestions he made for changes are the only changes that I think are possible without ruining things as far as grappling and stuff. If they aren't thinking about trying his glove ideas, then don't even think about touching them.

Post #7   5/9/13 4:11:42AM   

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't remember there being too many eye pokes in Pride.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #8   5/9/13 7:33:24AM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,818-982
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
.I don't remember there being too many eye pokes in Pride.

Good point!!! I don't remember there ever being an eye poke in Pride and I've seen all the fights!!! Im sure there may have been some but not many

Post #9   5/9/13 10:02:56AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I don't remember there being too many eye pokes in Pride.

we watch between 24-36 fights a month, these eye pokes happen more because there are more fights. If we went back to ~12 events a year, this outcry wouldn't be as prevalent

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   5/9/13 10:17:22AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
The eye pokes are from guys not training properly. It seems that guys who train extensively with boxing gloves, or come from a career of kickboxing or boxing, tend to do this the most. If guys trained in 4oz gloves or were conscious of their finger placement in training, it would be a non-issue.

Fence grabs and eye pokes are two things I think should be automatic point deductions, and serious eye pokes a DQ. If the punishment was stiff enough, guys would put the time in to avoid doing it.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   5/9/13 11:12:45AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

The eye pokes are from guys not training properly. It seems that guys who train extensively with boxing gloves, or come from a career of kickboxing or boxing, tend to do this the most. If guys trained in 4oz gloves or were conscious of their finger placement in training, it would be a non-issue.

Fence grabs and eye pokes are two things I think should be automatic point deductions, and serious eye pokes a DQ. If the punishment was stiff enough, guys would put the time in to avoid doing it.

I'm with you 100% on this. I've seen fights where the same guy will grab the fence numerous times an nothing will happen or at absolute best he'll be told inbetween rounds to stop grabbing the fance or a point will be dedcuted. All of which is too late because it's kept them out of a bad situation by cheating.

I think with the eye pokes you've got it nailed too, training in 4oz gloves constantly will halp combat the problem but not irradicat it accidents are still going to happen. But if a point is taken each time it happens I'll bet it stops pretty quick. Also allowing a 5 min rest period could be introduced as its allowed for shots to the balls and as everyone knows eyes are the balls of the face.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #12   5/9/13 11:38:38AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Chips:

Posted by george112

tbh i cant really see another glove providing enough dexterity to be accepted by the fighters

prove me wrong though

I agree.

Any reduction in eye pokes is going to come at the expense of grappling ability. The rules disadvantage technical grapplers already in my mind so I'd be very upset to see the equipment hurt them too.

Post #13   5/9/13 11:54:15AM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:962-517
Chips:
For everyone that said that the gloves are not the issue, I agree with you. The problem lies in the fact that there is not enough of a penalty for the eye poking.

A minor eye poke should result in a warning. Any eye poke after that should have an automatic point deduction.

A major eye poke that forces a stoppage prematurely to a fight should result in a automatic disqualification.

Oh, you lost a #1 contender fight because of an eye poke DQ? Tough shit, you should have kept your hand closed. It seems a bit harsh, but it's the only way to stop the eye pokes without altering the glove.

Post #14   5/9/13 12:13:57PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:

Posted by Michael_Corleone

For everyone that said that the gloves are not the issue, I agree with you. The problem lies in the fact that there is not enough of a penalty for the eye poking.

A minor eye poke should result in a warning. Any eye poke after that should have an automatic point deduction.

A major eye poke that forces a stoppage prematurely to a fight should result in a automatic disqualification.

Oh, you lost a #1 contender fight because of an eye poke DQ? Tough shit, you should have kept your hand closed. It seems a bit harsh, but it's the only way to stop the eye pokes without altering the glove.

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #15   5/9/13 12:24:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2