Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Theif caught at a yard sale...

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I had a yard sale today. I didn't sell much but something interesting did happen during the sale. A mother and her two kids ( about 8 and 9 ) came to my yard sale. The mother was actively searching through my things. She started a box for herself and placed the things she wanted to purchase in it. The kids roamed around my sale and were constantly picking up things. The younger kid reminded me of Shawn. I had a feeling he was up to no good. His behavior was very unlike a normal kid. He was constantly looking at me - and like a good investigator, I was keeping a close eye on him. Meanwhile, the mother is oblivious to our little cat and mouse game. She continues to dig through my pile of junk I no longer want. The kid comes up to me and asks me how much for the battery operated massager. I told him - a dollar. He goes away and pretends to play with the massager. He turns the massager into an airplane and makes it fly over the yard sale. The airplane initiates mach 1 as it glides over my lawn. Before long, it engaged in warp speed and disappeared into thin air.

Unbeknownst to the kid, I had a tracking device on the airplane and I knew where it disappeared to the whole time.

When the mother finally had her fill from going through my junk, she stood up and gasped as if she had came home from a long day at work. I tallied her things and told her the price. When she handed me the money, I kindly pulled her aside and told her one of her boys had stolen the massager from me. The mother was not very well versed in etiquette or common courtesy. She checked with her boy and suddenly the airplane magically appeared again. She simply told me she would pay for it. At no point did she offer me an apology and at no point did she attempt to make her boy apologize to me.

I had to think quick. How do I rectify this situation to bring out a positive outcome? I kindly asked the mother if I can have a word with her boy. She obliges - but still not showing a hint of embarrassment at all.

The boy cowardly walks toward me with a criminal look. Noticed I said criminal look and not guilty look? I told him....

..."Stealing is not nice. You can go to jail for stealing. Is there anything you would like to say to me?"

The boy shakes his head meaning to say no, there's nothing he wants to say.

"I understand you really want THIS (the massager/airplane) but you cannot steal it. I hope you don't continue this behavior of yours or else you may end up in jail one day. I should call the police but I won't do that. I'll give it to you as long as you promise not to steal again. .....Do you promise not to ever steal again?"

The boy shook his head in agreement and I gave him the massager.

I don't know if I did the right thing. I don't know if I had helped the kid or simply encouraged his criminal ways. What do you guys think and what would you have done?

Post #1   5/5/13 5:36:25PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,850-1,476
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
That damn theif

I swear I can only get through 1/4 of a KFM thread before I give up.

Last edited 5/5/13 5:48PM server time by shawn91111
Edit note/reason: Forgot the smiley face
2 total post edits

Post #2   5/5/13 5:45:46PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,755-1,746
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
You can really never tell KFM...people are a direct reflection of how their parents raise them. I think it's obvious what kind of parent has in this situation. A shame!

Post #3   5/5/13 6:02:21PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't think you went far enough. You should have curb stomped the kid. Give em a big front kick to the chest and send him flying. Then you chastise him and talk about the shame of masturbation (personal massager? I got my eye on you both).

Finally, you look at the mom, take the box and the contents she is looking to purchase and tell her her money is no good here. Tell her to keep an eye on her kid and keep him in school or it's a life full of robbing garage sales ahead!

Post #4   5/5/13 6:19:08PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

You can really never tell KFM...people are a direct reflection of how their parents raise them. I think it's obvious what kind of parent has in this situation. A shame!

I can tell his mom was very uneducated and not well-mannered. I wouldn't be surprised if she lived a criminal life herself. It's truly a shame because this kid will have a high probability of becoming a criminal and we will be paying for his services while he's in prison. The thing that bugged me the most about this robbery was the fact he was willing to do it - right in front of me.....and he knew I was keeping a close eye on him. This kid is demonstrating no fear at all - at such a young age. It's sad and also very frightening.

Post #5   5/5/13 6:26:26PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I don't think you went far enough. You should have curb stomped the kid. Give em a big front kick to the chest and send him flying. Then you chastise him and talk about the shame of masturbation (personal massager? I got my eye on you both).

Finally, you look at the mom, take the box and the contents she is looking to purchase and tell her her money is no good here. Tell her to keep an eye on her kid and keep him in school or it's a life full of robbing garage sales ahead!

That was my gut feeling after they got in their car and drove off.

I felt as if I did not do enough. I felt as if I had accomplished nothing by giving something away. I felt what I did made little to no impact on this kid or the mother. That's the feeling I had when they drove off. I felt like my kind act served no purpose.

Post #6   5/5/13 6:31:45PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:529-373
Chips:
should have gave him one of these

Last edited 5/5/13 6:42PM server time by tcunningham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/5/13 6:42:24PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

should have gave him one of these

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind.

Post #8   5/5/13 7:04:44PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

That damn theif

I swear I can only get through 1/4 of a KFM thread before I give up.

Don't lie, you're my biggest reader and you know it.

Post #9   5/5/13 7:06:01PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,185-752
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
You're too nice KFM. You could have hog tied his ass and scared him shittless telling him you're going to chop his hands off. Then have you're wife untie him while you're out of site. As she's untieing him she tells the little theif you're coming back with the saw

Post #10   5/5/13 8:53:45PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,347-1,299
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
i dunno...you do what you can. I like how you handled it. You may have planted a seed in his young brain. Maybe he'll grow to have more of a conscience than his parents are expecting of him.

Post #11   5/5/13 8:56:15PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scoozna

i dunno...you do what you can. I like how you handled it. You may have planted a seed in his young brain. Maybe he'll grow to have more of a conscience than his parents are expecting of him.

That is what I was hoping for...but like I said to other posters - I felt my kindness resulted to nothing. I just felt like the kid and the parent didn't give a rats ass and they're probably laughing their ass off that the idiot (me) still ended up giving it away for free.

Post #12   5/5/13 9:40:40PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-312
Chips:
I would have taken the dollar.

Post #13   5/5/13 10:42:23PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,545-942
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
It's a shame she didn't make him apologize and/or apologize for her kids behavior. I know my brother or I had done something like that when we were little my parents would've apologized themselves and made us apologize and when we got home we would've had an ass whoopin' waiting for us.

I do like how she let you speak with the kid though. I've been saying for a while that one major problem that young parents/parents of the modern generation or however you wanna say it, is that they refuse to let others have any part at all in raising the kids. They have this "Their my kids, who the hell do you think you are to tell me how to parent" kind of mentality, which is unfortunate since the older generation, such as grandparents and what not, have tricks or techniques that can help raise the kid better. I know with my brother and I our entire family on both my parent's sides of the family had a hand in raising us, and they all could punish each other's kids and none of the other parents would care so long as they didn't go overboard.

Post #14   5/5/13 10:49:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

You're too nice KFM. You could have hog tied his ass and scared him shittless telling him you're going to chop his hands off. Then have you're wife untie him while you're out of site. As she's untieing him she tells the little theif you're coming back with the saw

I've been told THAT many times and unfortunately the world does not favor people who are.

Post #15   5/5/13 10:59:20PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>