Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The today's forum drama post

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

He is still welcome here for sure. The thing didn't have to go down like it did. Hopefully people cool off a bit and we can get past this.

There is definitely a discussion to be had about how an online traffic based business can maximize its hits. I have been of the opinion that we should liberalize the news share rules and allow people to link to their own off-site content. Outside the game, people come here for news. The more the better, as long as minimum standards are met. Why tell someone who creates content that they can't post it here because they are a member? If Dave Meltzer joins the PG, does that mean no more Dave Meltzer pieces? I will continue to bring that up when we discuss ways to do things better.

I couldn't tell you what rules are actually written out for news, but you bring up a good point of where you draw the line. Content is content and I don't see why it should be limited, provided it's MMA. Worse case scenario, people won't read it if they don't care and it'll shuffle down the news page without being bumped up. No harm, no foul.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #46   4/28/13 10:24:14AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I couldn't tell you what rules are actually written out for news, but you bring up a good point of where you draw the line. Content is content and I don't see why it should be limited, provided it's MMA. Worse case scenario, people won't read it if they don't care and it'll shuffle down the news page without being bumped up. No harm, no foul.

I do think it is possible to weed out some content to keep the site accessible and useful, I am just saying let more through and don't get so hung up on the poster's relation author. For instance, there is a line where things cross over from news to ads. If a t-shirt company posts "news" about how soft its t-shirt is, that's not something people come to the news forum for. Similarly, I think there is a line between news and a tweet. Sometimes a tweet becomes newsworthy, but I don't want to see the forum filled up with retweets from Nate Mohr or Paul Kelly.

Obviously, that's not a problem right now. But there is a place for a filter. I just think the filter should be changed to not harm people who come to this site and would like to share the content they made on other sites. I think your greatest insight earlier was recognizing that clicks aren't finite and sites can generate clicks off each other rather than competing for them. Under that rubric, it is all about the quality of association. It seems like manipulating the quality of the content to hold a certain floor helps that.

Post #47   4/28/13 3:03:06PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:786-498
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
All of you are making extremely salient points, and I don't want to get too deep into the conversation.. just wanted to share a story from last year. I think it was July or August.

Anyhow, I had just finished a podcast with Chris Leben. It's one of my favorite episodes, even still, as he shares some crazy stories with us. I posted a link to the interview in three places. Here, Sherdog, and the Underground. (I post on all three. 80% here, 14% UG, 1% Sherdog).

Sherdog didn't do anything with my post. Let it sit there while teenage commenters talked about boobs or something stupid.

I don't know if it was this episode or the next, but after I posted I believe two I got a PM from a moderator (it may have been Jay, I forget now) that told me to knock it off. It wasn't worded that harshly, in fact it was worded pretty eloquently from what I recall. But the main message was to stop promoting the show on the forum.

MixedMartialArts.com sent me an email after posting on the UG. I assumed it was going to be a message like the PG's telling me to knock it off. Instead it was an email from management thanking me for being part of the community, and giving me a free blue name.

So from doing the same thing three different places: one did nothing, one told me to stop, and the other rewarded me.

Not to say ___ was right and ___ was wrong, but I found it interesting that no two sites reacted the same.

Post #48   4/28/13 5:45:48PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by jakewalters

All of you are making extremely salient points, and I don't want to get too deep into the conversation.. just wanted to share a story from last year. I think it was July or August.

Anyhow, I had just finished a podcast with Chris Leben. It's one of my favorite episodes, even still, as he shares some crazy stories with us. I posted a link to the interview in three places. Here, Sherdog, and the Underground. (I post on all three. 80% here, 14% UG, 1% Sherdog).

Sherdog didn't do anything with my post. Let it sit there while teenage commenters talked about boobs or something stupid.

I don't know if it was this episode or the next, but after I posted I believe two I got a PM from a moderator (it may have been Jay, I forget now) that told me to knock it off. It wasn't worded that harshly, in fact it was worded pretty eloquently from what I recall. But the main message was to stop promoting the show on the forum.

MixedMartialArts.com sent me an email after posting on the UG. I assumed it was going to be a message like the PG's telling me to knock it off. Instead it was an email from management thanking me for being part of the community, and giving me a free blue name.

So from doing the same thing three different places: one did nothing, one told me to stop, and the other rewarded me.

Not to say ___ was right and ___ was wrong, but I found it interesting that no two sites reacted the same.

soooooo....what do you do with the other 5%

Post #49   4/28/13 5:58:04PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

MyFreeCams.com

Post #50   4/28/13 6:00:05PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by prophecy033

MyFreeCams.com

BOING

Tent Pitched

Post #51   4/28/13 6:07:21PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Simply put, no one person should get freebie passes to post links to their own site's content, while others are sidelined. Period. Rabi is indeed a great individual from what I can tell, with a huge passion for the sport, but he is one person on a community forum. You can't rely on one person for the success of this business, especially when that business is community driven.

Whatever deal the PG struck with Rabi, it doesn't sound like it was official. Rabi had no official stake in the PG, and the PG had no official stake in his site. This seems like a deal where breaks were given to Rabi because he was an extremely active member of the site.

This is problematic because it's completely and utterly juvenile, and NOT the correct way to run a money making enterprise, if that is what you are concerned about.

What should have happened was an official deal brokered between the two camps, so that the advertising system that Rabi eventually went with, was filled by the PG instead. Rabi I'm sure would have gone with this, as it would have probably been a logical route given his passion for the PG. Instead, it got incestuous, like two friends making backroom deals simply because they are buddies; that shit never ends well.

In the end, special permission should not have been given to Rabi to promote his website content as normal member of the community, but the PG should not have been so heavy handed given the fact that the PG didn't take any real steps to develop an official relationship with Rabi's project.

I obviously don't know all the facts, but that is the way I am reading this scenario, and if it's true, it's absurd and makes both sides look silly.

Post #52   4/28/13 10:40:44PM   

KNIGHT

MMA Regular

KNIGHT Avatar

Career:1,888-1,049
Chips:

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by prophecy033

MyFreeCams.com

Wish i only spent 5% of my time on myfreecams

Post #53   4/29/13 11:25:12PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:
So.. the story I understood was that Ray upset the site by teaming up with another fantasy site so he was de-modded. That's understandable, I guess. Then Ray felt like he had been treated unfairly, so he left. Fine and good. He was welcome back if he ever wanted to, and that was that.

Now, Rabi WAS NOT banned, didn't have any of his achievements removed, and was free to post news items from his site still so long as they follow the site's rules like the other news posts. He just wasn't allowed to be a moderator and have freedom to promote and get away with recruiting people as he had reportedly done in the past.

Ray's now telling me his account is locked and he can't access the site? I know he sent a lot of us a PM but it wasn't saying anything like "HEY JOIN MY NEW SITE MMAVICTOR ITS THE BEST EVER!", it was more of a notification that he was leaving and contact info for all the friends he had made in his 10,000+ posts here at the PG.

This shit is getting out of hand, fellas.

Post #54   4/30/13 1:53:30PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Chips:

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by prophecy033

MyFreeCams.com

Post #55   4/30/13 2:49:36PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
When I was posting at ufc.com, some of us had issues with 5knuckles. Long story short - we went to war. Those were good times.

I doubt Rabi and the owner of this site would go to those lengths. It's foolish and it does nothing to promote both parties' sites.

Post #56   5/1/13 12:28:15AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

When I was posting at ufc.com, some of us had issues with 5knuckles. Long story short - we went to war. Those were good times.

I doubt Rabi and the owner of this site would go to those lengths. It's foolish and it does nothing to promote both parties' sites.

Post #57   5/1/13 1:02:19AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:
So his account kept logging in late tonight when Ray would have been sleeping in the UK, and now it's gone. Talking to others, I assume administration were snooping around his account then just deleted the account upon completion. This is so absurd. Telling everyone that Ray is welcome to come back while in reality he's banned and someone is snooping around his personal shit.

I'm friends with most mods on this site, that's the thing that bugs me. I know none of them have anything to do with this. I have no problem with any moderators on this site, and actually respect the shit out of you for the work you put in here. You make my experience better along with everyone else's.

Jay, I know you haven't posted since the OP. Can you give us an explanation of what's going on right now? I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, but I'm curious to know why the stance went from "he's free to come back" to his account being axed.

EDIT: By the way.. just so my intentions are clear.. my podcast is affiliated with the other site now, but I don't want anyone to leave this site for the other. The MMA Playground has a much better and active forum along with a fantasy setup that I like more than any other site. I've been on this site a year and a half now, and I plan on being an active poster on this site for a long time. I'm just speaking on behalf of myself and a lot of people here who were friends of Ray and want to know what's going on. It's unfortunate that all this has to go down in public forum, but that ship sailed a while ago.

Last edited 5/1/13 4:59AM server time by jakewalters
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #58   5/1/13 1:19:08AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I can make this easy. It would actually be impossible for the mods to do that because they don't have access to passwords. All a mod could do would be to change their user profile info, which would not require them to log into that person's profile. Only Jay, Hippysmacker and maybe Fleek has that kind of access.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #59   5/1/13 2:32:24PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I can make this easy. It would actually be impossible for the mods to do that because they don't have access to passwords. All a mod could do would be to change their user profile info, which would not require them to log into that person's profile. Only Jay, Hippysmacker and maybe Fleek has that kind of access.

Correct.

Post #60   5/1/13 2:49:24PM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5