Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The today's forum drama post

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,897-1,500
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

When I first signed up on PG, I remember saying something like this..

"I'm usually well received where ever I go but after a while, things tend to become dull and conflicts ignite more frequently as members become more comfortable/complacent and or less respectful with each other."

Some of you will remain good friends. Some of you will learn to dislike each others' guts ( I'm part of this group btw ). Some of you will learn to tolerate each other. The PG is like a job site. There are those you click with and there are those you can't stand. And there is usually a guy or gal who gets along well with everyone and that guy is Rabi (Rabilike guy).

Rabi, you're a well-liked guy. You'll make friends where ever you go.

I have never said I won't be posting on this site anymore but I think my heart left a long time ago already. It's difficult to put up posts when you feel like an outcast. I don't feel that 'close knit' which I felt during my first year here anymore. Shawn, can you give me a hug?

Post #31   4/26/13 2:31:56PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
^^

funniest thing ive seen all day

Post #32   4/26/13 2:44:43PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Chips:
Goes without saying that Rabi put a lot of time and effort into the site and it is a shame that he's made the decision to leave, because that's one less player of a great game that doesn't get enough recognition imo.

But.....

Last edited 4/26/13 3:38PM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   4/26/13 3:31:34PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by KungFuMaster

When I first signed up on PG, I remember saying something like this..

"I'm usually well received where ever I go but after a while, things tend to become dull and conflicts ignite more frequently as members become more comfortable/complacent and or less respectful with each other."

Some of you will remain good friends. Some of you will learn to dislike each others' guts ( I'm part of this group btw ). Some of you will learn to tolerate each other. The PG is like a job site. There are those you click with and there are those you can't stand. And there is usually a guy or gal who gets along well with everyone and that guy is Rabi (Rabilike guy).

Rabi, you're a well-liked guy. You'll make friends where ever you go.

I have never said I won't be posting on this site anymore but I think my heart left a long time ago already. It's difficult to put up posts when you feel like an outcast. I don't feel that 'close knit' which I felt during my first year here anymore. Shawn, can you give me a hug?

Would you do it for one scooby snack?

Post #34   4/26/13 3:33:07PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by george112

^^

funniest thing ive seen all day

I don't know if you're aware but Shawn and I are best of buds. Not only will he give me a hug, he'll give me a wet 'n sloppy one too.

Post #35   4/26/13 3:36:13PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

There ya go

Last edited 4/26/13 3:48PM server time by shawn91111

Post #36   4/26/13 3:47:49PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Very interesting.

I'd like to start off by saying I don't really know Rabi at all, yet I'm one of the longest standing members of this site, a former mod, a possible writer for the "new" MMAPG and a member of the MMA community at large. My only involvement with him was on a podcast I did where he was also a guest, and was contacted to do said show via PM. I was glad to do it.

Two things strike me about this situation:

1. Rabi did more for the site and MMA than almost anyone here. I used links to his project all the time to research UK fighters, and even some Americans he managed to snag interviews with. This was critical to some of my extracurricular work (ie gambling) and made sense in context of the Secondary League. Why would you even attempt to make soup grapes with someone like that?

2. Fantasy MMA isn't the same as buying something online. My restaurant competes with local restaurants because you only buy one lunch a day. Everyone plays every fantasy MMA site however. My Saturday routine, which I'm sure is shared by the majority of the forum, is to bang in here to make my picks/wagers, head over the Sherdog to make my picks, and then head over the UFC.com to make my picks. I don't personally use MMAvictor because they don't have prizes to my knowledge, but the fact remains, if you play somewhere, you'll probably play everywhere. That's not a competitor, that's a community.

I've pushed my own work across channels on here before, even though I know it's against the rules, because quite frankly, there's nothing else going on. This site has been dying for years and I figure anything going on the forum is better than cyber tumbleweeds.

In short, stupid move Jay.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #37   4/27/13 3:08:30PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Post #38   4/27/13 3:13:12PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Very interesting.

I'd like to start off by saying I don't really know Rabi at all, yet I'm one of the longest standing members of this site, a former mod, a possible writer for the "new" MMAPG and a member of the MMA community at large. My only involvement with him was on a podcast I did where he was also a guest, and was contacted to do said show via PM. I was glad to do it.

Two things strike me about this situation:

1. Rabi did more for the site and MMA than almost anyone here. I used links to his project all the time to research UK fighters, and even some Americans he managed to snag interviews with. This was critical to some of my extracurricular work (ie gambling) and made sense in context of the Secondary League. Why would you even attempt to make soup grapes with someone like that?

2. Fantasy MMA isn't the same as buying something online. My restaurant competes with local restaurants because you only buy one lunch a day. Everyone plays every fantasy MMA site however. My Saturday routine, which I'm sure is shared by the majority of the forum, is to bang in here to make my picks/wagers, head over the Sherdog to make my picks, and then head over the UFC.com to make my picks. I don't personally use MMAvictor because they don't have prizes to my knowledge, but the fact remains, if you play somewhere, you'll probably play everywhere. That's not a competitor, that's a community.

I've pushed my own work across channels on here before, even though I know it's against the rules, because quite frankly, there's nothing else going on. This site has been dying for years and I figure anything going on the forum is better than cyber tumbleweeds.

In short, stupid move Jay.

But is it not a business? Does Yahoo fantasy football or their fantasy sports promote ESPN's or CBS Sports fanasty football? It's all a business regardless if you head over to sherdog, or ufc or tapology or wherever.

Was this not why half of the 360 mafia was banned. Now I dont know the entire story of it but was that not the just of it

Last edited 4/27/13 7:03PM server time by shawn91111

Post #39   4/27/13 4:07:17PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Still a business, but not one that is mutually exclusive. In fact, you could argue that someone gaining in an interest in fantasy MMA is better served with multiple sites rather than one.

I know what he did, and I don't see an issue with it for the simple fact this place with NEVER be updated or improved upon. The folks in charge simply can't be bothered and found it more acceptable to boot someone who contributed 10000x more than the guys who actually own the joint.

As for 360 mafia, the site itself came about after some folks were thrown out, not the other way around.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #40   4/27/13 6:13:22PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:
Svar, we've been here forever and I agree with some of the things you've said for sure. You're a guy I've respected since day one and someone I like on a personal level. Although we might disagree on this, I think that removing Rabi as a mod was the right move considering he was working with another site though. You surely hit on some good points though.

Like you basically said, he's contributed more to this place than anyone I can think of offhand outside of maybe hippysmacker in the early days of the site. He's as valuable a member as we've had in years and I'd be 100% for doing whatever it takes to try to get him to come back to the site. He loves this place as much as the people here love him and that's a lot. I haven't been on many forums as a real contributor, but I've never seen anyone as dedicated to making a site more fun for the other users as Rabi has. On top of that, he always carries himself with dignity and is decent to everyone even when it's someone he doesn't get along with. He's just a great guy, I know this firsthand.

Even though there are a lot of fantasy MMA sites, the owners here have to look out for their best interests. Community or not, their job is to look out for number 1, period. I'll never disagree with that, and I love this place and don't want to see it fail for any reason.

I just wish things had been handled in a different way with Rabi and it could have been more amicable. It especially hits home for me that things weren't handled as well as they could have been because I was in Rabi's camp and that guy ran the single best camp on the PG, bar none.

I'm holding out hope that our guy comes back and any bad blood can be set aside and we can continue to try to make this place a fun place for people to play MMA fantasy.

Post #41   4/28/13 1:26:54AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
That's just it though, if you're looking out for number one, why scare off someone that actually drew views to the site? It's utterly stupid and likely jealousy-fueled garbage from the guilty party. You're fighting over page views by scaring off someone who was clearly well-liked by the majority of the site, judging by comments and props received.

I understand the issue with him being a mod, but I've been a mod too. There is really nothing you can do with the information at your disposal, expect perhaps to tediously copy e-mail addresses. As for the ideas that might or might not have wound up elsewhere, they will never be implemented here. Ever. As someone who may have planted a seed or two for Rabi to reap, I'd be happy to know an idea is being used rather than left in a Mod forum collecting dust.

I don't know Rabi, but if he's still welcome here, there's no reason for him to avoid the place.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #42   4/28/13 1:50:48AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I don't know Rabi, but if he's still welcome here, there's no reason for him to avoid the place.

It's not like you don't have valid points, and they're all well taken, but I especially want to touch on this last one.

I HOPE TO HELL that Rabi knows this and will continue to be the top notch member of the forums that he has been for 5 or so years. That's what really matters most to me personally.

Post #43   4/28/13 2:00:11AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

That's just it though, if you're looking out for number one, why scare off someone that actually drew views to the site? It's utterly stupid and likely jealousy-fueled garbage from the guilty party. You're fighting over page views by scaring off someone who was clearly well-liked by the majority of the site, judging by comments and props received.

I understand the issue with him being a mod, but I've been a mod too. There is really nothing you can do with the information at your disposal, expect perhaps to tediously copy e-mail addresses. As for the ideas that might or might not have wound up elsewhere, they will never be implemented here. Ever. As someone who may have planted a seed or two for Rabi to reap, I'd be happy to know an idea is being used rather than left in a Mod forum collecting dust.

He is still welcome here for sure. The thing didn't have to go down like it did. Hopefully people cool off a bit and we can get past this.

There is definitely a discussion to be had about how an online traffic based business can maximize its hits. I have been of the opinion that we should liberalize the news share rules and allow people to link to their own off-site content. Outside the game, people come here for news. The more the better, as long as minimum standards are met. Why tell someone who creates content that they can't post it here because they are a member? If Dave Meltzer joins the PG, does that mean no more Dave Meltzer pieces? I will continue to bring that up when we discuss ways to do things better.

Post #44   4/28/13 2:05:50AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,311-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Things have changed soo much since ive joined.
ive seen ALL the top posters come and go.

Post #45   4/28/13 2:33:29AM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5