Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The today's forum drama post

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,458-907
Chips:
Warning, long read...

As some of you probably know by now from his PM's, Rabi was demoted from being a moderator today. Seeing as how this has basically been made a public item already, I figured that I would chime in on the matter to attempt to explain our side as well.

Rabi has a side project that you most likely are aware of by now: mmamental. Seeing as how we very casually partnered on a radio show in the past, Rabi and some other members expressed an interest in getting some MMAPlayground podcasts going some time ago.

This is something that we were definitely open to, pending the completion of the new version of the site. This new site has (obviously) not been completed yet, which is my fault completely. I'm not here to make excuses, but I'm only programmer for the site basically, and I'm way late on getting it finished. I'm not going to bore you with details, but I do have a full-time job, a side-job that actually pays me, a girlfriend, and have recently moved to a new state. I have dropped the ball too though TBH.

At any rate, Rabi progressed (quite well) with his side project, and because he wanted to partner up while we were unable to he got permission to promote his project a bit on the forums, so long as he didn't get spammy with it, until something could be worked out. I wasn't going to tell someone what they could do with their free time, and it's not like he's a 100% direct competitor anyway.

During this time I've received many complaints from members and mods alike, which trickle up to the site's owner too, about Rabi promoting his stuff a bit too much, going so far as to recruit people off the site for his own projects. There were a few conversations that Rabi had with me and at least 1 other moderator about some of these things, but it sort of just continued on.

Now it came to my attention from many of the same mods and members that Rabi was now partnering with a competing fantasy MMA site as you can see by the way it is promoted on his website, and the way it is promoted on his radio show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23bSuCRjTQI - first 30 seconds in if you're interested.

To the site's owner and staff here (which I am a part of) it is a CONFLICT OF INTEREST for someone to be a moderator and leader here with access to the inner workings of the website while they are actively working to promote a direct competitor, nevermind the aforementioned mmamental promotion stuff (which I will take some of the blame for).

Now, Rabi WAS NOT banned, didn't have any of his achievements removed, and was free to post news items from his site still so long as they follow the site's rules like the other news posts. He just wasn't allowed to be a moderator and have freedom to promote and get away with recruiting people as he had reportedly done in the past.

I conveyed this to Rabi. His response was sent to me and 5 other people, and I've already seen it mentioned on the forums by someone else entirely, so I'm sure there's probably at least a handful if not more that got his reply.

His reply was against forum policy in an obvious way to boot. If someone decides to send PM's to a bunch of people promoting a product (especially a competitor) it is generally called "spam". Now I know this isn't spam, but the point is that it was kind of sad and also felt like a kick in the nuts for someone who was generally a true all-star member of the site to go out while trying to take people with him for games on our competitor's website.

Even after all that, his account isn't banned or anything. Rabi you're more than welcome to reply, seeing as you've already put this into the public anyway and everyone is entitled to their opinions on things. It is what it is, there's not much that can be done at this point. I wish things were different, but I really don't feel as though I've acted improperly.

I can also see how it would be very easy to feel slighted in his position. Rabi has for sure invested lots of time and hours into this website in the past. Ending something that we viewed as a privilege was obviously not the same viewpoint that Rabi had about things.

Regarding competition: I honestly have zero qualms with mmavictor. I don't know them personally, but this is the internet - there are going to be multiple sites of the same genre, let's be real. Competition isn't even a bad thing. Hell, maybe we'll both push each other into having better and better games down the road. That being said, there's no reason for us to go out of our way to promote someone that is partnered with a direct competitor, moderator or not.

Also too - how can I ask other members to not promote their own products and services on the site? How can the site's owner ask people to spend money to advertise on the site while other people can find ways to get their stuff promoted for free or seond-hand free? Hell, if we had regular active advertisers we wouldn't have to have the annoying-ass ads that we currently do.

Sorry for all the rambling, that's all I can think of to say at the moment.

Post #1   4/25/13 2:19:15PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Sad to see Ray go

Post #2   4/25/13 2:41:07PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Sad to see Ray go

Same here. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all members would agree.

Unfortunately, I believe his mind has been made up. I wish him nothing but the best. He'll be missed.

Post #3   4/25/13 2:49:26PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,159-691
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by sparky

Sad to see Ray go

Same here. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all members would agree.

Last edited 4/25/13 2:59PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #4   4/25/13 2:58:24PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,458-907
Chips:
Also wanted to add: I could have handled the situation way better. I think was too blunt, and because I'm not around much that makes it being me coming out of left field like a dick. Sorry to all involved, but I can't change the situation at this point and this was something that had to be resolved.

Last edited 4/25/13 3:00PM server time by dothemmath

Post #5   4/25/13 3:00:22PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Chips:
Sad sad day for sure. Wish it didn't have to be this way

Post #6   4/25/13 3:01:25PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Chips:
I just got done talking to Ray on skype and he seems to be done here. He's a great guy and he's going to be missed, that's for sure. I really hope everything goes well for him and he can quit his job and do the MMA journalist thing full time since that's his dream.

I wish he had come to us before joining up with the other site, and the conflict of interest can't be overlooked, but it doesn't change the fact that I hate seeing him go.

Post #7   4/25/13 3:04:35PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,894-1,593
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I remember chatting with him on the old MMA at work shows. He seemed like a nice guy.

Post #8   4/25/13 3:32:29PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,232-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
been in colorado. and i come back to this!!!???

crazy

Post #9   4/25/13 3:36:21PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,888-1,075
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's too bad, and I hope Rabi reconsiders his decision.

When we were discussing what to do about the situation, we all agreed on two things:

1. Rabi is a great guy and has done as much as any playgrounder to make this site great. His love of MMA and dedication to creating ways to increase everyone's enjoyment of MMA is inspiring.

2. We can't have a moderator involved in a direct mma fantasy competitor, especially when that person is not keeping the playground's interests protected from the competitor.

I still think both of those are right on the money.

Ray, if you read this, we still love ya bro.

Cheers regardless of how it ends up.

Post #10   4/25/13 3:40:02PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,809-1,609
Chips:
Very sad to see him leave the site. Ray is a good friend of mine that I met through here. It's a difficult situation and I definitely see both sides of it. Hopefully he'll return to the site eventually.

In his absence, myself and a few others will attempt to keep the side games he runs going. It will take a little while to get things sorted out but the updates will happen as soon as possible.

*If you're participating in a Draft Project consider one of us on holiday for a week and things will pick up then.

Post #11   4/25/13 4:22:51PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I always thought he got away with a ton as far as promoting his site. He's the reason I blocked or unliked the playground on facebook. Don't get me wrong I like Ray but I couldn't care less about local UK MMA. I'm part of a eastern ohio, western pa web page and I think I have posted maybe 2 stories from it. Seems like hes running over some spilled milk. I'm not sure you guys could pay me to be a mod.

Post #12   4/25/13 4:30:07PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,701-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by postman

I always thought he got away with a ton as far as promoting his site. He's the reason I blocked or unliked the playground on facebook. Don't get me wrong I like Ray but I couldn't care less about local UK MMA. I'm part of a eastern ohio, western pa web page and I think I have posted maybe 2 stories from it. Seems like hes running over some spilled milk. I'm not sure you guys could pay me to be a mod.

Without saying too much, I am just going to say I agree with this.

Last edited 4/25/13 5:06PM server time by shawn91111

Post #13   4/25/13 4:36:08PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Rabi will be missed. He had awesome side games. It sounds like the Mods made the right decision tho. Oh well. MMAplayground will still be the best MMA fantasy site around.

Post #14   4/25/13 4:54:37PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:872-548
Chips:
Damn shame. All around.

P.S. Rabi isn't crying over spilled milk and I'm sure Jay isn't intending to be a d-bag or anything. It's a differing of opinions and there are things weighing on both guys that were left out and we'll never know about. I love Ray and the rest of you guys, and it hurts to see Ray feel like he's been pushed out. Let's try as best as we can to not takes sides, as that's unnecessary and only gonna rub people the wrong way.

Last edited 4/25/13 5:51PM server time by jakewalters

Post #15   4/25/13 5:44:14PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>