Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White issues challenge to boxer Tyson Fury: 'You will get smashed'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
NEW YORK CITY – Heavyweight boxer Tyson Fury has an open invitation to step in the octagon and fight MMA.

Link

Post #1   4/25/13 12:35:39AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,911-1,142
Chips:
Dana is absolutely correct....Tyson Fury would get smashed. Let Chael take him down and work him over. Plus the trash talk wiuld be epic

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #2   4/25/13 12:49:05AM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
In an MMA fight, absolutely. Most of the top MMA fighters in the world would wax Tyson if he steps in a cage.

Last edited 4/25/13 1:13AM server time by ThaAxeMurderer7
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/25/13 1:12:52AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:474-286
Chips:
Great Co-Main, love to see a Boxer get smashed.

Post #4   4/25/13 1:20:57AM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,870-1,008
Chips:
I'm actually for making this fight, & I'm usually not into "Freakshow" fights. There are actually a lot of dumb folks out there who think elite boxers would wreck good/average mma fighters in combat. It would be nice to see a still in their prime boxer get in a mma fight to show average joes no amount of boxing ability can overcome a well rounded mma fighter. Seeing how Fury has been very vocal (& not to mention disrespectful) towards Cain & mma overall let him be the example. If Cain doesn't get to make him eat his words I'm with fights against Travis Browne, Frank Mir, Phil Davis (if he would like to go to HW) or a debuting Josh Barnett. All 4 of those fighters could put a nasty beating on Fury id pay to see

Post #5   4/25/13 2:54:19AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
If Steve Cunningham was a legitimate heavyweight Fury would already be a memory.

Post #6   4/25/13 7:02:32AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:
I'm down for this. If Cain walks out with another 1st TKO over Silva and walks out unscathed, why the fuck not.

This guy called out Cain with the belief in himself that he'd win. Why not offer him a crazy contract:
6,000 to show. 250,000 to win. If he really thinks he'd win then the show money amount wouldn't make a difference.

We're waiting on Wedrum anyway... It might slow down the division but the division needs some redesign anyway, specially if Cormiers going to 205.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   4/25/13 7:41:01AM   

Kevro

MMA Regular

Kevro Avatar

Career:658-497
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
A boxer coming over to fight MMA is not a freakshow fight. Boxing is a martial art so why would it be a freakshow fight? ive never understood that. Maybe if the undertaker came in to fight cain, yes thats a freakshow fight. but not a professional boxer.

Post #8   4/25/13 8:09:05AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 33-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,317-851
Chips:
Not this James Toney bullshit again

Post #9   4/25/13 8:19:12AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
feed him to cain to shut the boxers up

Post #10   4/25/13 8:46:11AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

6,000 to show. 250,000 to win.

That would be so hilarious. Props.

I kinda doubt Fury would accept that contract. MAYBE if Dana called him out on it publically.

Posted by Kevro

A boxer coming over to fight MMA is not a freakshow fight. Boxing is a martial art so why would it be a freakshow fight? ive never understood that. Maybe if the undertaker came in to fight cain, yes thats a freakshow fight. but not a professional boxer.

Its a freakshow fight because we learned in the first several UFCs that a striker with no grappling experience stands ZERO chance against anyone who is even average in grappling. Utilizing striking in MMA requires a background in wrestling and some form of submission grappling as well.

Basically, we all know Fury would get smashed. A fight where everyone expects the same outcome is considered a freakshow fight, even if both fighters are combat athletes.

The funny thing is, the Vegas odds on this fight would probably make it look a lot closer than it is (though I'm sure Cain would still be a favorite.)

On the playground though, odds would probably be like -900 for Velasquez.

Post #11   4/25/13 9:23:13AM   

Kevro

MMA Regular

Kevro Avatar

Career:658-497
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I could understand, but my point is if Machida (yes his ground game is good) can make it in the UFC so can a boxer as long as he works on his ground game. To me, its not a freak-show fight. That to me would be someone that does not do the sport but can draw a fuck ton of attention. Tyson Fury would not be that person. I know he would get smashed, no question, im just saying calling a boxer to mma a "freakshow" fight is just disrespectful to the sport in my opinion. That's just how i see it but i can see your point as well.

Post #12   4/25/13 9:31:30AM   

Mhunt1140

Learning to Sprawl

Mhunt1140 Avatar

Career:935-568
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I wouldn't necessarily call it a freak show fight but it is extremely close. Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for boxers and boxing as a whole but that is merely one discipline of MMA and with only one skill a fighter is useless. Without any training in any other form of martial arts a pure boxer would be like a fish out of water in an MMA fight because the simply would not be able to adapt to the different styles of a well rounded fight not to mention the addition of kick, elbows and knees. This isn't even taking into account the HUGE grappling advantage which is almost laughable.

Post #13   4/25/13 9:53:43AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Kevro

I could understand, but my point is if Machida (yes his ground game is good) can make it in the UFC so can a boxer as long as he works on his ground game.

Machida has been training for years and years in grappling martial arts. His takedown defense is superb and his ground game is very good as well.

With regards to Tyson "working on his ground game", that's not something he could conceivably do in the span of a single fight camp. If he dedicated a few years to exclusively working on wrestling and grappling, maybe that would be enough.

To me, its not a freak-show fight. That to me would be someone that does not do the sport but can draw a fuck ton of attention.

This fight exactly fits your conditions. Tyson Fury does not do this sport. He does one aspect of this sport that comprises maybe 30-40% of the skills he would need to know in order to win.

calling a boxer to mma a "freakshow" fight is just disrespectful to the sport in my opinion. That's just how i see it but i can see your point as well.

Definitely not trying to be disrespectful to boxing as I think its a great sport. And to be fair, I wasn't the one who used the term "freakshow" (though I did defend it.)

Probably a better way to say it would be "silly money grab."

It just doesn't make sense to make a match where the likely outcome is so lopsided in one direction. You wouldn't see the NFL matching the New England Patriots against a high school football team (unless it was for charity or something.) Even that example doesn't really work though because they are the same sport at different skill levels....

Lets say this, you wouldn't match the Chicago Bulls against the Patriots in a football game and expect the Bulls to have a chance at winning. That's what this fight would be.

Personally, and like others, I would love to see this fight made (even though I think its a bit silly.) The reason is that it would be a step to legitimate MMA and bring it main-stream. This fight IS silly but that fact isn't well known by boxing fans or general sports fans. It might serve as a water shed moment for the sport.

After Velasquez smashed Fury, from that point on: whenever a boxer challenged an MMA fighter or a boxing fan ridiculed MMA, we could laugh it off and say "look what happened to Fury."

Last edited 4/25/13 9:57AM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: messed up the quotes
2 total post edits

Post #14   4/25/13 9:54:48AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,185-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Hell, even if he fought a lesser heavyweight, he'd get smashed, and it would be even more humiliating for him.

I've probably argued out of both sides of my mouth on this topic, but if a boxer mouths off a little too much (not sure how to define that) I say make it happen.

Maybe even make the purse be a donation to the boxer's favorite charity so we know he's not doing it for the payday.

Last edited 4/25/13 11:26AM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   4/25/13 11:26:21AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2