Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: Lightweight move likely easier than middleweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not sure how many of you read the article.

He said he could make lightweight easier than he could put on the weight for 185, not that he had any plans of fighting at LW.

When asked what was next for him he said "Probably Hendricks".

I think most of the MMA world would rather he stay at WW right now and defend his belt. If there is going to be a superfight I think most would prefer it to be Jones and Silva.

Post #16   4/24/13 3:38:56PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,612-939
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

He said he could make lightweight easier than he could put on the weight for 185, not that he had any plans of fighting at LW.

I think most of the MMA world would rather he stay at WW right now and defend his belt. If there is going to be a superfight I think most would prefer it to be Jones and Silva.

The dude came in heavy against Nick at WW. How the hell would he ever make LW?

Post #17   4/24/13 6:06:20PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by FlashyG

The dude came in heavy against Nick at WW. How the hell would he ever make LW?

The same way Cormier and Barry can make 205

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #18   4/24/13 9:02:34PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

GSP's baby chin would be my only concern but he has pretty exceptional striking as well. Even if Silva is bigger technique and athleticsm > size, And i don't consider Anderson to have top level TDD.

I think I need some clarification on this statement. Are you saying that GSP's technique in the striking game is > than Silva's striking technique? If that is what you intended to be taken away from that I'm going to have to emphatically disagree. Silva is, in my opinion, and I'm sure most everybody would agree, the most technical striker in MMA bar none, end of conversation. I believe that if GSP vs Anderson were to happen and GSP kept it a striking match I believe Silva knocks him out 10 times out of 10. The only way I see GSP winning that fight is by playing the role of the human blanket for 25 minutes. Any time he spends not pursuing take downs is time spent basically asking to get knocked out.
In my opinion, Silva is the better fighter of the 2, but GSP has a style that may allow him to win. Styles make fights.

Post #19   4/25/13 1:34:28AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

No not striking technique, All around technique, IMO GSP is probably the most athletic, well i guess Bones too are just more natually athletic than most, Not saying Anderson isn't but GSP's ape technique would allow him to LNP Anderson. My comparison was technique vs size...technique IMO > size. Lets also not forget Chael did catch Andy on the feet who is also a less striker than GSP. And as i've said before for their weight classes Anderson has only beat 1 great fighter, GSP has beaten 2 Great HOF fighters in Hughes and Penn and much tougher competition at 170 than Anderson at 185. Sure, GSP may play it safe and doesn't finish but he's fought tougher fights at 170 than Andy has at 185. I'm not saying Anderson won't win, I'm just disagreeing that that'd he win easily as GSP IMO has the main tools to beat him.

Last edited 4/25/13 8:15AM server time by iwannabesedated
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #20   4/25/13 8:11:43AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

I highly doubt GSP is afraid of Anderson

Afraid might not be the right word, but he's certainly very put-off by the idea of fighting him. It would be a match against a bigger opponent who is just as skilled or more skilled.

I can't really blame him for not wanting the fight.

Posted by postman
GSP grinds out the fight for 4.5 rounds I see no reason to think he wouldn't make it that last 1/2 of a round.

Agreed.

I'm a huge fan of Anderson and I'm fairly certain he would win this fight. He's dealt with Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson, and Yushin Okami. The first fight against Chael made him look like he had a hole (though there were special circumstances) but in the second fight he proved how far apart he really is.

I'd say Demian Maia can safely be added in there too (list of great grapplers he's beaten.) When I used to say that, people would say Maia doesn't have good enough takedowns. I'd point to the fact that he threw Chael Sonnen with ease. Now I can also point to his wrestling domination of Kim, Story, and JON FITCH. Maia is an outstanding takedown artist (though he was oddly non-aggressive against Anderson.)

Still, if GSP were able to get him down and keep him down with some regularity, he would wear Anderson out and would almost certainly not get caught in a submission.

Posted by FlashyG

I read it just fine.

I don't think anyone is assuming he has real plans to go to LW. We are just reacting to the absurdity of his claim which kinda seems like a lie to stifle talk of him fighting Anderson.

If, by some chance, GSP ever does schedule a fight at LW, I am willing to do a two year av bet that says he will miss weight. And that's the point.

Post #21   4/25/13 9:37:00AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2