Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre: Lightweight move likely easier than middleweight

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
For years, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has teased the idea of moving up to 185 pounds. While he's not ruling out such a change, he believes a cut to lightweight would be much easier.

"I don't do much cutting," St-Pierre said on Tuesday's new edition of "The Joe Rogan Experience." "It would be easier for me to go fight at 155 than fighting at 185. I would be more at my weight naturally at 155.

"There's guys at 155 that walk around at 190 like me. They think I'm big because I have a large frame, but I'm not a big guy. I'm not thick."

LINK

Post #1   4/23/13 10:41:52PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,788-1,528
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
GSP at LW

Post #2   4/23/13 11:42:10PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Hey George's...apparently you didn't get the memo...real men go up in weight to pick a fight.

Post #3   4/24/13 12:03:10AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
194 on fight night v. Shields.

Post #4   4/24/13 12:07:03AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
as much as i like GSP, he is scarred of losing to anderson silva; but before he started training he probably was close to LW

Post #5   4/24/13 12:13:16AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Hey George's...apparently you didn't get the memo...real men go up in weight to pick a fight.

This is ridiculous, I would respect him much more if he would simply say that he is not willing to/not going to fight at MW and that he is simply going to rule over his division. There is absolutely no sham in being the greatest WW fighter in history!

Post #6   4/24/13 1:15:58AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,166-696
Chips:
Old news, we first heard this in October 2011. His coaches told us how 155 would be easier then he eventually came out a week later and said he had no plans to go up or down weight at this time.

LINK

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   4/24/13 3:45:00AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dodging a Silva bullet I see

Post #8   4/24/13 7:14:27AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,936-1,124
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I highly doubt GSP is afraid of Anderson, He's a blueprint to beat Anderson, Who has the best takedowns and LNP in the UFC...GSP, What did Uncle Chael did to Anderson for 4.5 rounds in the first fight??? GSP is twice as athletic as Chael and most people in the UFC.

I'm no GSP fan, But for anyone to think he is scared or can't beat Anderson is mistaken IMO.

It's easy to take make a case for Anderson when he is considered the GOAT, But in reality he has only beaten 1 GREAT fighter and that is Dan Henderson.

Besides when you're the king of your division why leave before you're beaten. That'd be like Michael Jordan leaving basketball to go play baseball..Oh wait,

Last edited 4/24/13 8:38AM server time by iwannabesedated
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #9   4/24/13 8:29:55AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by iwannabesedated

I highly doubt GSP is afraid of Anderson, He's a blueprint to beat Anderson, Who has the best takedowns and LNP in the UFC...GSP, What did Uncle Chael did to Anderson for 4.5 rounds in the first fight??? GSP is twice as athletic as Chael and most people in the UFC.

I'm no GSP fan, But for anyone to think he is scared or can't beat Anderson is mistaken IMO.

It's easy to take make a case for Anderson when he is considered the GOAT, But in reality he has only beaten 1 GREAT fighter and that is Dan Henderson.

Besides when you're the king of your division why leave before you're beaten. That'd be like Michael Jordan leaving basketball to go play baseball..Oh wait,

I would agree and say he's not afraid of Silva. But is he afraid of the chance of losing? Yes. It's a huge fight with the most risk is GSP's career. This would be a great fight, but Silva may be the best fighter in the History of the UFC and maybe even the sport of MMA, so GSP knows the huge risk of him breaking his winning streak, which I do think GSP is afraid of.
Yes Chael did own Silva for 4.5, but he still ended up losing, so it doesnt matter whats done for 4 rounds, its how a guy finishes and GSP lately isnt known for that. Im sure he could control Anderson for some of the fight, but when it comes down to it, Silva finds ways to win, even when hes getting his ass kicked.
Also, to add to this I think GSP is too bulky to drop to 155, that would be a tough task for him.

Post #10   4/24/13 8:56:29AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:
That kind of water cut would be horrible for his health. He's said repeatedly that he'll eventually have to move up to 185 to avoid kidney problems later in life from weight cutting.

Post #11   4/24/13 9:02:44AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

It's a huge fight with the most risk is GSP's career. This would be a great fight, but Silva may be the best fighter in the History of the UFC and maybe even the sport of MMA, so GSP knows the huge risk of him breaking his winning streak, which I do think GSP is afraid of.

If Anderson is reguarded as the GOAT then he would have more to lose. Anderson has a longer win streak then GSP. Depending on how it all went down GSP could realistcly still be UFC champ at 170. If Anderson lost chances are he would be losing his title.

Yes Chael did own Silva for 4.5, but he still ended up losing, so it doesnt matter whats done for 4 rounds, its how a guy finishes and GSP lately isnt known for that. Im sure he could control Anderson for some of the fight, but when it comes down to it, Silva finds ways to win, even when hes getting his ass kicked.

Chael has some of the weakest sub d in the game. At least at this high level. GSP is not getting caught in a triangle/arm bar with 2:30 left in the 5th round. I think Anderson would most likely knock GSP out but if GSP grinds out the fight for 4.5 rounds I see no reason to think he wouldn't make it that last 1/2 of a round.

Post #12   4/24/13 9:54:06AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,936-1,124
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
There isn't a safer fighter in the game right now than GSP, I'd bet GSP LNP's Anderson for 5 rounds and the superfight ends up a snoozefight.

Anderson is great off his back but GSP is dominate from the top position and has a much better sub D than Chael. GSP's baby chin would be my only concern but he has pretty exceptional striking as well. Even if Silva is bigger technique and athleticsm > size, And i don't consider Anderson to have top level TDD.

Post #13   4/24/13 10:44:05AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by postman

It's a huge fight with the most risk is GSP's career. This would be a great fight, but Silva may be the best fighter in the History of the UFC and maybe even the sport of MMA, so GSP knows the huge risk of him breaking his winning streak, which I do think GSP is afraid of.

If Anderson is reguarded as the GOAT then he would have more to lose. Anderson has a longer win streak then GSP. Depending on how it all went down GSP could realistcly still be UFC champ at 170. If Anderson lost chances are he would be losing his title.

GSP is UFC's biggest star/ money maker. he has the most high end sponsorship deals and is building a brand based on his name. I'd say he has the most to lose by a lose then anyone in whole the UFC.

if I am GSP I hold off this fight till it is my last fight ever. there would be nothing else left to do after a fight with Andy. but as said before, I still think he is afraid of losing not actually afraid of the Andy himself.

Post #14   4/24/13 1:02:20PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
This makes literally no sense. You've dominated a division for years, so you move downward, where the majority of fighters are Welterweights who couldn't hack it at 170lbs? This is like Robert Drysdale deciding to compete as a brown belt.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #15   4/24/13 1:31:28PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2