Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

My 2 cents

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As I write this there are 3 dead and at least 176 injured due to the terrorist act that happened at the Boston Marathon. Just hearing the growing numbef is enough to bring a tear to my eyes. Seeing the videos stirs up a handful of emotions that are hard to overcome. Although I live on the opposite side of the country that doesn't mean I don't care. Just because it wasn't my family members injured or killed doesn't mean my heatt doesn't hurt. We are all affected by this. We are all in this together. And in these situations is where it is most evident. Seeing all those people running TOWARD the explosion was a site to see. The selflessness that those people showed was truly amazing.

I tend to look closer at my own relationships when things like this happen. I think about my family and friends. But what was differnt about this one was I thought about the PG. I thought about all of you that are in the area or may have had family in the race. Ill be honest guys, I don't ever eanna hear about anything bad happening to any of you or your families. Its something I don't wish on anyone.

When Shawn lost his job, he reached out to us if only just to vent. When ChrisSabal was having girlfriend issues he asked for our advice. When my Dad passed I needed to vent and you guys were super cool.

I guess where I'm going with this is that we are at our best when things are at the worst. That is the one thing through all this that has made me smile. Thanks for taking the timeto read my rant

Post #1   4/16/13 1:56:48PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Disasters and occurances like this remind me to always appreciate life, family, friends and what not. I used to take everything for granted. Over the years I have turned a new leaf. I always look to lend a helping hand to a fellow person in need. Tragic events bring out the best in people, which is bitter sweet, but its true, people show their true colors when others are in danger. It just sucks that it takes a disaster for that person to show those colors.
These events touch me as well, its hard not to get emotional or worked up for things like the bombing, or the school shootings. Thanks for the rant prophecy033, it made me want to rant as well, but I am glad I did. Take it easy everyone and stay safe. You can always count on the Playground to list to a good rant.

Last edited 4/16/13 2:09PM server time by Theoutlaw08
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   4/16/13 2:08:46PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
I'm always in need to spread the love so public props for you, prophecy

Post #3   4/16/13 2:23:12PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing and for not being around to help you cope with it. I lost my father unexpectedly 5 years ago and I would have appreciated any comfort, whether it be from acquaintances or faceless posters online.

For some reason your post brought home and reiterated a conversation I had with a fellow church member. We talked about God, country, and family - in those order. As a young man, I have heard the phrase God, country, and family before but I never knew what it meant.

You mention the selfless acts of many who ran toward the explosion while feeling an overwhelming sense of camaraderie and patriotism. The reason why country comes before family is because without a country, you won't have a family. And it is good to see many people uphold that...

Post #4   4/16/13 2:43:03PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Post #5   4/16/13 3:09:16PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Just stuck it on my facebook, but will reprint here. Obviously applies the fine folks at the PG.

The Boston thing is obviously close to home, so I wanted to say something.

You stand here today, the sons and daughters of strong, good people. Every person alive today exists because their kin, and their kin, and their kin before them were willing to definitively stand between their fellow man and what lurks in the dark. For generations, we've stared into the abyss and made it clear that nothing with malicious intent would live long, should they seek to bring their dark thoughts to fruition.

Sadly, you can't see what corrupt wheels are turning in people's minds and these sick deeds are largely unavoidable. Yet, there are things that we as decent people can do.

One thing is to pay attention, always. In the self-defense community, this is called "Condition Yellow". It takes almost no effort to simply be mindful of what goes on around you, and it becomes effortless with practice. As humans, we're programmed to use minimal mental effort throughout our day, but in putting in that effort to look at people and events unfolding around you, you could potentially spot things that might otherwise go unnoticed. 99.9% of the time, you'll see life going on around you, which isn't so bad. You never know what might grab your attention however, if someone happens to be up to no good. Make that effort to be a forward observer for your fellow man.

Something just as important, though tragic in context, is to avoid dwelling on this. I don't mean to avoid being inwardly upset or even let those around you see your heart. This is normal and healthy. What I mean is don't be reactionary in the negative. Don't talk about what you'd do to these people when they're found, or what you'd like to see done to them. When you turn your own thoughts to darkness, they win. A major part of these sick behaviors is a desire for people to react. It's a demented cry for attention exercised in the worst possible manner. Don't play into it. These people will be discarded when found and that should be good enough for us all.

Most importantly, be good. If you can donate time, money or blood to those affected, absolutely go for it. If you can't, you can help those around you simply by making that effort to remain kind and understanding. Resolve to be unbroken in spirit and lift those up around you. It's what good people do for each other, and is your greatest defense in the face of tragedy. Help the injured, fix that which is broken, and move forward in a positive manner. Remain united, now and forever, as loving people.

Last edited 4/16/13 3:11PM server time by svartorm

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #6   4/16/13 3:09:44PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Well said, Svartom.

Post #7   4/16/13 3:45:14PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:
We all need to be the good we want to see in the world.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #8   4/16/13 4:40:56PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Sorry to hear about your dad. My parents are in their mid 60's but still couldnt imagine them passing

Post #9   4/16/13 5:03:35PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think a few others have already said this in the thread about Boston, but having a family of my own now, the tragedy definitely hits home even more. It's one thing to hear about adults losing their lives, but when I heard that many children were involved, I was heartbroken. I can't even imagine the grief the parents and siblings of the deceased, and severely injured are enduring.

It's definitely nice to have such a close community on the PG, to talk about different issues, directly or indirectly affecting our lives.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #10   4/16/13 6:13:00PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:
Good posts all, another great thing is you can talk to fellow PGers like counsellors, they wont judge, and their only prerogative is to help. (and maybe sway you away from a disliked camp )

You guys rock Heart going out to Boston

Post #11   4/16/13 6:29:52PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #12   4/16/13 6:36:02PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
The PG is a community like any other real life community. We pull together and put aside our differences in tough times. Props to all.

edit - I said props to all but I can't hand out anymore until the next day. sorry.

Last edited 4/16/13 7:35PM server time by KungFuMaster

Post #13   4/16/13 7:33:50PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Chips:
We love you to Proph...the rest of you guys are little sentimental bitches though!

Post #14   4/16/13 7:52:40PM