Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gabriel Gonzaga to challenge ruling on fight with Travis Browne

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by Tyzzler

Posted by Shawn91111

Meh no different than when a fighter is out via punches and gets a few to the back of the head in the process of slumping/ turning over etc.

Actually it makes a HUUUUGE difference in my opinion. I haven't rewatched this particular fight to see how many (or if any) were illegal, so won't go one way or another on this particular occasion.
However, in general I think it makes a huge difference for the 1, sole reason that "comebacks" are even possible. Think of ANY fight, ever, where a particular fighter seemed to be completely 100% out, yet the ref let it continue & that fighter came back to win. Just a recent example off the top of my head is Kongo vs Pat Barry...Kongo looked out, so you're saying if there had been a few (OR EVEN 1) shot to the back of the head that made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in him, subsequently, reaching a state of unconsciousness, that it would be of absolutely no consequence...since he was "already out & done anyway" (as we, the public may have seen it)??

.....EDIT TO SAY.....
In a fight that ends via KO because of a gnp onslaught, it is practically impossible to pinpoint the ONE SINGLE SHOT that put the opposing fighter out, so if there are 99 completely legitimate strikes & 1 illegal, there's still a chance that the illegal shot made all the difference & can subsequently be argued that the losing fighter, in the absence of that illegality, could/would have come back & racked up the W.

Pretty easy to pinpoint one shot a lot of the time.

Post #16   4/15/13 9:39:43AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,400-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Mohawk rule Brown is safe. Headphones rule he might be in a little trouble.

Personally I think both the back of the head and 12-6 rule should be abolished.

Post #17   4/15/13 10:41:57AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Mohawk rule Brown is safe. Headphones rule he might be in a little trouble.

Personally I think both the back of the head and 12-6 rule should be abolished.

I would like knees to not so grounded opponents legalized and possibly the 12-6, but allowing donkey punches has always been considered too dangerous. Spinal injuries are no joke.

Post #18   4/15/13 10:52:59AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I counted 3 illegal elbows (the last 3 he threw) every time the replay was shown. This should get overturned

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #19   4/15/13 11:26:45AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I counted 1, maybe 2 in total but the ones that initially put him out seemed pretty legal to me.

This

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #20   4/15/13 11:41:14AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
He was hit in the back of the head for sure. It should be over turned to a no contest, only because I dont think they will over turn it to a DQ.
He may have hit him with clean shots first that did the damage, but the ones to the back make a huge difference. Same thing happen when Jones fought Hamil and dropped one illegal elbow, he was pretty much done from the clean shots, but it was the one or two illegal shots that finished it. Should be overturned to a NC.

Post #21   4/15/13 12:12:49PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
i think it should be overturned as well and i wanted browne to win. but that just didnt seem fair

Post #22   4/15/13 12:15:42PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I counted 3 illegal elbows (the last 3 he threw) every time the replay was shown. This should get overturned

Same here. I counted six all together. 3 fair, 1 directly to the back of the head, which is the one that dropped him, and 2 12-6.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #23   4/15/13 12:16:37PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
the whole he was already out argument so illegal strikes are whatever is very bad argument agreement in my view. so just because he is out is he allowed to just drop a knee in his crouch and be like so what he was already out so I can do whatever now. there are rules for a reason and guy already concussed could face serious life threating injury with a blow to the back of the head. just cause you have a the guy closes to being finished and are going for the kill does not mean you get to get away with illegal shots because it was an accident. these are professional athletes, every sport has rules and you do not get a pass because you were in the heat of the moment otherwise what is the point of rules.

now back to the actual fight I think it should be turned into a NC if it is proven that there were multiple illegal shots with a rematch.

Post #24   4/15/13 2:24:28PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,400-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Manak

the whole he was already out argument so illegal strikes are whatever is very bad argument agreement in my view. so just because he is out is he allowed to just drop a knee in his crouch and be like so what he was already out so I can do whatever now. there are rules for a reason and guy already concussed could face serious life threating injury with a blow to the back of the head. just cause you have a the guy closes to being finished and are going for the kill does not mean you get to get away with illegal shots because it was an accident. these are professional athletes, every sport has rules and you do not get a pass because you were in the heat of the moment otherwise what is the point of rules.

now back to the actual fight I think it should be turned into a NC if it is proven that there were multiple illegal shots with a rematch.

You got it all wrong homie. If I hit a last minute 3 point shot to win a basketball game and then I kick the guy who was guarding me in the balls, I'll get fined for the ball kick but the win should stand because the infraction happened after the game was over. Same principle here.

Post #25   4/15/13 3:53:05PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think he still pretty clearly had his balance and was working for a takedown prior to the illegal blows. The other shots were doing damage, sure, but Gonzaga was still in the fight prior to the spinal shot.

I got ambushed and punched in the back of the head once. Very disorienting. Those need to stay illegal.

I think if it weren't for that shot Gonzaga would have remained in the fight. It shouldn't be a DQ since the shots were accidental but this should be a no-contest.

Post #26   4/15/13 3:56:53PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
The two most devastating blows were illegal blows to the back of the head. It should be ruled a NC or a DQ.

Post #27   4/15/13 6:37:04PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
definitely agree it should be changed to a NC, not necessarily a DQ

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #28   4/15/13 8:19:18PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:474-286
Chips:
If this is overturned, I've lost all respect for the athletic commission.

Do you see baseball overturn every close call? To me this was legal, the ref didn't stop or even warn Browne(at least I don't remember a warning), so why should he be penalized?

Hell even Golfer's who cheat are more protected then MMA fighter's doing there job.

That's just me though.

Imagine all the travels in the NBA we could catch with slow mo..........

Post #29   4/16/13 2:25:07AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

If this is overturned, I've lost all respect for the athletic commission.

Do you see baseball overturn every close call? To me this was legal, the ref didn't stop or even warn Browne(at least I don't remember a warning), so why should he be penalized?

Hell even Golfer's who cheat are more protected then MMA fighter's doing there job.

That's just me though.

Imagine all the travels in the NBA we could catch with slow mo..........

except that fighters' careers basically hang in the balance every single fight. Baseball players and other athletes in their sports have guaranteed money even if they get injured.

In MMA, you don't fight you don't get paid. In other sports you still get paid while on the DL or IR. Other sports have a defined length of game in a defined season where one play ultimately does not affect the outcome of the season. One non-travel call or one blown strike very rarely changes the outcome of the game, let alone where the team finishes in the standings. If each game was 2 quarters or 3 innings or 2 periods, then your argument would be stronger.

In MMA, a couple illegal blows can greatly hinder and effect the outcome of that fight and will change their career path. GG is now that much further away from a title contenders fight and might be one KO away from being cut again. You can't say that about Tony Romo if he throws 3 picks in back to back games.

If you are referring to the 2-stroke penalty Tiger had at the masters, under the rules he could not get disqualified as the committee had initially deemed it legal before further review. Had that initial ruling not been made, there would not have been a Tiger Woods shot on the weekend. How many times to we see fence grabbing or nut shots and no points are deducted?

Last edited 4/16/13 9:11AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #30   4/16/13 9:09:02AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3