Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

NCAA/Adidas to Produce & Sell Kevin Ware Shirts

Print  
Should college athletes be paid?
Yes, all of them should be paid 7 47%
Only star players who generate $$ should be paid 0 0%
No student athletes should be paid 8 53%
Posted By Message

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:758-484
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Wanted to bring this story up just to open up the discussion about paying student athletes. How do you guys see the matter?

Adidas and Louisville have already come together to make these warmups, which is one thing

But this shirt will be sold and profit will be made off of it. Profit going to the school, NCAA, and Adidas of course; because Ware and other students are not eligible to be paid

I think it's obvious this is unethical... but should the rules change to pay athletes soon?

Post #1   4/3/13 9:24:03PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:
Also, what do you think of these shirts to sell?

Post #2   4/3/13 9:24:57PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Dont like the break a leg one.

Thats fucked up

Post #3   4/3/13 10:15:43PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If this would have happened in the regular season, not as much fuss would have come of it. The injury was terrible, and I hope Mr. Ware fully recovers, but this is getting out of hand. There are much better causes out there to spend money on, especially if Ware isn't going to see a dime of it.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   4/3/13 10:30:24PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Any athlete or team generating that much attention should be paid..... period.

Last edited 4/4/13 2:24AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/4/13 2:23:55AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,863-1,073
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
If you don't believe that the majority of top level collegiate athletes aren't getting paid or compensated right now then you're mistaken IMO.

Some of these guys get money when they turn pro and end up blowing their money and careers. These players are still 18-22 years old...If i was an 18 year old millionaire i'd be careless and high on myself. I don't think they should be paid, I think they should be treated just as any other student attending for an education, You never plan for when a freak accident like this one can happen and you can't play sports anymore. So you should focus on your education as well.

But on the flip-side it's also messed up for companies to sell jerseys with the kids numbers or names on them and not pay them.

It's a two edged sword regardless, I can make a case from both sides.

Post #6   4/4/13 8:15:47AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:
There is absolutely no reason for student athletes to be paid a dime.

Post #7   4/4/13 8:46:47AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

Post #8   4/4/13 9:48:46AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

They are students playing for an academic institution, not a professional organization; they are students, not professionals. They are more than welcome to take advantage of grants/scholarships...just like everyone else. More than likely they are already receiving a free ride to attend a college, which amounts to quite a bit of money, allowing them to compete in the first place. A student will not earn a living wage by doing research (undergrad) or by getting good grades. The department and their professors will benefit from the fruits of their labor, whether it be research related or prestige related.

What these athletes are doing, much like the student who spends late nights in the lab/lib in order to excel in their field, is building a resume for when they leave college. If they want to get paid, they can try their hands at the free market.

As soon as colleges start giving athletes money while taking from the actual students, they are basically stating "hey we don't actually give a damn about education and academic development despite that being the purpose of college in the first place". Whether or not the school makes money from a sports team does alter the fact that first and foremost, it is a school, not a sports team.

Post #9   4/4/13 10:41:40AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,863-1,073
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

My guess, If you're athletically gifted and got a free ride scholarship you're set. How is that fair to another student who has to work part time to help pay tuition and get an education to go slave for a company after graduating while athlete superstar guy got a free ride in and is now getting paid because he's profitable to the school because of a talent and really nothing more and will go on to more money in a pro league. However, schools should also not hooker out their athletes for a profit as well.Like i said above i see it from both sides.

Post #10   4/4/13 10:42:15AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

They are students playing for an academic institution, not a professional organization; they are students, not professionals. They are more than welcome to take advantage of grants/scholarships...just like everyone else. More than likely they are already receiving a free ride to attend a college, which amounts to quite a bit of money, allowing them to compete in the first place. A student will not earn a living wage by doing research (undergrad) or by getting good grades. The department and their professors will benefit from the fruits of their labor, whether it be research related or prestige related.

What these athletes are doing, much like the student who spends late nights in the lab/lib in order to excel in their field, is building a resume for when they leave college. If they want to get paid, they can try their hands at the free market.

As soon as colleges start giving athletes money while taking from the actual students, they are basically stating "hey we don't actually give a damn about education and academic development despite that being the purpose of college in the first place". Whether or not the school makes money from a sports team does alter the fact that first and foremost, it is a school, not a sports team.

This is an extremely salient point, and I agree with it just about 100%.

BUT..... something just seems off to me when college athletics (especially football & basketball) are BEHEMOUTH industries that bring in insane amounts of cash. The fact that not only is this money being made, but you have shirts like this being printed up where your making a direct profit off a single players likeness (also see all the #15 jerseys UF peddled from the Tebow era to now). I just think certain players should see some of that money. I do understand the trickiness of that though, and why the NCAA is so vigilant to avoid fuckery.

Post #11   4/4/13 12:13:27PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
If you guys know folks that have been involved in high-level football and basketball, they do get paid. In fact, we have a forum member who shall remain nameless who was offered a car and an apartment for HIGH SCHOOL sports if he chose to move to another town. Don't think for a second these guys are struggling.

I completely agree that they shouldn't be paid, as folks that work just as hard towards being doctors, paralegal, etc won't be while in school. Scholarship is enough, and that money generated by sports merch goes towards bringing in more people who will actually make a difference in the world. I'm cool with dude breaking his leg, school making shirts, and then giving a few dozen future doctors a free pass to school.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #12   4/4/13 12:51:41PM