Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Man Tattoo's Dog, Generates Controversy

Print  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Stokes County officials are investigating after a man tattooed his dog and generated some controversy by publicizing it on social media.

Stokes County Health Department and Animal Control are investigating Ernesto Rodriguez after a Facebook posting, showing his dog with a tattoo, stirs controversy in the community.

Ernesto Rodriguez tattooed his 5-month-old purebred American bully named Duchess on her underbelly Wednesday in his basement parlor at 1396 Milsap Road near Pinnacle. The tattoo is an emblem that represents her bloodline, Rodriguez said.

Some controversy arose after Rodriguez posted a photo of Duchess' tattoo to Facebook. Rodriguez said he tattooed Duchess for identification purposes.

"What do they do when they brand animals and tattoo horses on their ear and brand their cow? You’re not abusing them. You’re just protecting them so they don’t get lost," Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez, who said he was an Army veteran, said he knew the photo was going to generate attention, and he has received calls from around the United States.

"If you go on Google and type up dog tattoos, you'll get a thousand images of dogs tattooed. This has been going on for years," Rodriguez said.

The health department issued a cease and desist order, asking Rodriguez to stop tattooing people until he gets the proper zoning permits.

It's not illegal for someone to tattoo their pet unless it's considered animal cruelty, said Dr. Ken Wheeler, investigator with the state veterinary medical board.

LINK

Last edited 4/3/13 12:23PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/3/13 12:23:13PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Chips:
I heard there are these things called collars and tags. They are great if your pet gets lost.

Top it off with the fact that this guy obviously can't spell (which is scary because 1. He was in the army and 2. He tattoos people) and we have a real winner here.

Last edited 4/3/13 1:58PM server time by pmoney

Post #2   4/3/13 1:56:40PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I think the point is that if someone stole the dog, it's not easy to prove it's yours. Even those chips are easy to take out, so the tattoo makes it impossible to steal realistically.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   4/3/13 2:12:28PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 36-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,481-954
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

"If you go on Google and type up dog tattoos, you'll get a thousand images of dogs tattooed. This has been going on for years," Rodriguez said.

If you google "penis mutilation" you also get thousands of images but you don't see me sticking my junk in a blender.

This Rodriquez guy is an absolute moron & I hope some Animal Rights group takes his dog anyways in a hilarious bit of ironic justice

Post #4   4/3/13 2:46:13PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
no different then branding your cattle, or tagging their ears, or having their balls, claws, taken out, tubes tied. etc etc etc. The animal doesnt have a say in any of this.

chill the fuck out PETA ball huggers. There are alot mor injustices to animals that are 1000 times worse then worrying about a tattoo.

Animals are meant to be wild, anything their owner does is cruelty to them.

"On a registered beef cattle farm it is usually required or at least recommended to tattoo cattle."

whats the difference between a dog and a cow, or a goat, or a sheep?

Post #5   4/3/13 7:06:27PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

If you google "penis mutilation" you also get thousands of images but you don't see me sticking my junk in a blender.

Just pay your electric bill bro, blender has to be on for it to work.

Post #6   4/3/13 7:09:07PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:765-371
Chips:
A lot of breeders still tattoo dogs (as puppies) on the inner groin or inside the flap of the ear. It's basically a number (like a license plate) meant for identification purposes. The numbers are all in the AKC/CKC database so anyone who finds the dog can search for the owner that way by calling it in. This guy went for the vanity tatt though which is what makes it a dumb idea and why he's getting criticized. Advertising the 'blood lines' of the dog serves no purpose other than him feeling like it makes the dog look 'cool'.

Microchips are actually safer than tatts since if someone wanted to steal an expensive/valuable purebred dog for breeding or nefarious purposes, they can always alter an existing tattoo or - I heard in one situation - amputate the ear flap the tattoo was on so the dog wasn't traceable. Nasty stuff. :(

Last edited 4/7/13 4:33PM server time by DancingDoll

Post #7   4/7/13 4:32:12PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,613
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

A lot of breeders still tattoo dogs (as puppies) on the inner groin or inside the flap of the ear. It's basically a number (like a license plate) meant for identification purposes. The numbers are all in the AKC/CKC database so anyone who finds the dog can search for the owner that way by calling it in. This guy went for the vanity tatt though which is what makes it a dumb idea and why he's getting criticized. Advertising the 'blood lines' of the dog serves no purpose other than him feeling like it makes the dog look 'cool'.

Microchips are actually safer than tatts since if someone wanted to steal an expensive/valuable purebred dog for breeding or nefarious purposes, they can always alter an existing tattoo or - I heard in one situation - amputate the ear flap the tattoo was on so the dog wasn't traceable. Nasty stuff. :(

As someone who has never been allowed to own a dog due to the rental lifestyle (represent), I may be wrong about this, but I always heard that the chips are only useful if you have the ability to scan the chip. I thought it didn't act like a GPS, so if your dog runs off without being caught by the pound or is stolen there's actually a great chance you won't get it back. I've heard that the recovery rate on chipped dogs is roughly 50/50. Again, I might be totally misinformed about this, that's just what I've heard.

Post #8   4/8/13 11:10:50AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

As someone who has never been allowed to own a dog due to the rental lifestyle (represent), I may be wrong about this, but I always heard that the chips are only useful if you have the ability to scan the chip. I thought it didn't act like a GPS, so if your dog runs off without being caught by the pound or is stolen there's actually a great chance you won't get it back. I've heard that the recovery rate on chipped dogs is roughly 50/50. Again, I might be totally misinformed about this, that's just what I've heard.

Pounds/shelters/vets all routinely scan dogs they find. The scanner is just a little hand-held 'grocery scanner' type thing they wave over the dogs neck region. It beeps if it registers a chip and will bring up any chip-info (registration info). My dog is chipped and I watched the breeder scan her before I took her home just to verify. The nice thing about the chip is that it instantly reads the owners name/phone number details. If it's a CKC/AKC tattoo, then you have to be able to read the tattoo, and they can get wonky/stretched looking as the dog ages, especially if they get it as a little pup which then grow rapidly into a large breed dog. If the tattoo is legible, then they would call the CKC/AKC who will then call the breeder (so that they can call you) or the owner if they have that info on hand already. It's a bit of a longer (ie. annoying) process.

I had a rescue dog once and only when he had to be shaved (when he was older) for an ultrasound did I notice that he had been tattoo'd on the inner flank of his leg (although barely legible by then) so I realized he was purebred registered. At one point I called the CKC and tried to get the name of the original breeder (out of curiosity) but they wouldn't give me the info, which I thought was kind of ridiculous. Shrugs.

Anyway - the best thing is a collar with name/phone number etc but if the dog isn't wearing ID and they end up getting lost, I think the chip is superior to the tattoo as a backup identification system. If a dog is stolen then most people are kind of SOL unless they can find the dog on their own and then legally prove (via chip or tattoo) that the dog is theirs.

Post #9   4/8/13 11:31:07AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,613
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

Pounds/shelters/vets all routinely scan dogs they find. The scanner is just a little hand-held 'grocery scanner' type thing they wave over the dogs neck region. It beeps if it registers a chip and will bring up any chip-info (registration info). My dog is chipped and I watched the breeder scan her before I took her home just to verify. The nice thing about the chip is that it instantly reads the owners name/phone number details. If it's a CKC/AKC tattoo, then you have to be able to read the tattoo, and they can get wonky/stretched looking as the dog ages, especially if they get it as a little pup which then grow rapidly into a large breed dog. If the tattoo is legible, then they would call the CKC/AKC who will then call the breeder (so that they can call you) or the owner if they have that info on hand already. It's a bit of a longer (ie. annoying) process.

I had a rescue dog once and only when he had to be shaved (when he was older) for an ultrasound did I notice that he had been tattoo'd on the inner flank of his leg (although barely legible by then) so I realized he was purebred registered. At one point I called the CKC and tried to get the name of the original breeder (out of curiosity) but they wouldn't give me the info, which I thought was kind of ridiculous. Shrugs.

Anyway - the best thing is a collar with name/phone number etc but if the dog isn't wearing ID and they end up getting lost, I think the chip is superior to the tattoo as a backup identification system. If a dog is stolen then most people are kind of SOL unless they can find the dog on their own and then legally prove (via chip or tattoo) that the dog is theirs.

So then how is a microchip safer? If a dog is stolen, why would it end up being scanned unless the thief lost the dog?

Post #10   4/8/13 4:04:33PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by jay98107

Posted by DancingDoll

So then how is a microchip safer? If a dog is stolen, why would it end up being scanned unless the thief lost the dog?

It works for lost dogs (for the reasons I mentioned above - being better when compared to tattoos). More dogs are lost rather than stolen.

If someone steals your dog, you need to find the dog and (if you're going through legal means) prove the dog is yours. You can technically accomplish this through a microchip or a tattoo (unless the tattoo has been purposely modified, deteriorated with age or cut out of the dog - which therefore makes them less reliable than a chip embedded under the skin, IMO). But... if someone stole your dog - you gotta find the dog first and then prove its yours (or steal it back).

Post #11   4/8/13 8:52:31PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,945-1,125
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Should've tattooed a cat on his dog.

Post #12   4/8/13 9:50:41PM