Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Hardy passes on surgery to correct heart ailment, says future in UFC's hands

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,766-1,590
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After being diagnosed with a rare heart disorder, UFC welterweight Dan Hardy has decided against corrective surgery, even if it might end his fighting career.

"I don't see a reason why I would let someone go in and start messing with it," he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "That's an easy decision to make."

Hardy was barred by the California State Athletic Commission from competing April 20 at UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose when a prefight electrocardiogram revealed markers of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. He said he'll place his fate in the hands of the UFC and should know this week whether the promotion will risk putting him in the octagon.

Most state athletic commissions likely would throw up a red flag on Hardy competing, but the UFC regulates many of its own events overseas in the absence of a commission.

LINK

Post #1   4/2/13 7:44:05AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I hope he's alright. And I hope he continues fighting. I love his attitude and style and would hate to see him go out.

Post #2   4/2/13 8:57:55AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I don't think the doctors would be "messing with it" but rather "fixing it," or at least make it so he can still make a living fighting. I would hate to see him collapse during a fight because of this...and chances are this would be somewhere in England with all the US AC's not licensing him

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   4/2/13 9:36:27AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,493-865
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
If he does get a shot he'll be one and done. His TDD isn't good enough for all the wrestlers at WW and the guys that are willing to stand with him can out strike him. He went on a good run but it's time for him to be Dana's English ambassador.

That said I hope they give him a Condit rematch. Condit needs a win and Dan needs someone to bang with.

Post #4   4/2/13 11:19:25AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,252-1,209
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
There are a few different treatments for this. The easiest, is medication, although it doesn't always work. The next, is too just shock the heart using cardioversion. It basically resets your heart to normal rhythm. If that still didn't work, the next option would be a catheter ablation. Again, this isn't that intrusive. A surgeon threads a catheter through a blood vessel, and uses radio frequency to damage the extra electrical pathway that is causing the problem. The electrophysiologist can pinpoint exactly where the bad electrical pathway is, and damage it, so no siganl will travel through.

If I were him, I'd go through all these options first, rather than risking sudden cardiac death. Most of the treatment options can be done as an outpatient, and he'd be in and out of the hospital in a day or two.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #5   4/2/13 11:27:48AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
I'd trust a doctor over the UFC when it comes to heart problems.

Post #6   4/2/13 12:21:20PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He should do the surgery. And if the UFC really cares they'll advise him to do it

Post #7   4/2/13 1:06:40PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

He should do the surgery. And if the UFC really cares they'll advise him to do it

No shit. Good fucking point. Whether or not he fights again you can drop dead at any time with a bad ticker.

Post #8   4/2/13 1:14:36PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,439-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I disagree, doctors have hungover days and some suck at their jobs and you're unconscious on their table with your entire chest cut open. Once you go under the knife to that level, you usually end up with more issues than you started with. I've had multiple things I've rejected Doctor's and Orthodontist's advice on (not the STD's) and I'm glad I did in every situation. Though, admittedly I know nothing about this rare disease and didn't Google it.

Post #9   4/3/13 6:51:06PM