Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

just watched the herring vs o'brien fight....

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
....and herring looks awful, i'd read threads saying he was really bad in the fight but i didnt think he could be that bad, but he was....i'd heard a few good things about him before this fight and kinda expected him to take this fight in round one or two but he just seems to have nothing and his mount defence is awful just rolling on his back and giving the opportunity for the choke every time

whats gonna happen to him now?

Post #1   1/28/07 8:09:05PM   

Infused

MMA Regular

Infused Avatar

Career:373-253
Chips:
If i were Dana, i wouldn't even give him another fight. His standup looked horrible, as did his ground game, buuut they hyped him up so much.. they have to give him atleast one more fight. Probly against a standup guy.

Post #2   1/28/07 8:16:02PM   

We_Todd_Did

Standup Guy

We_Todd_Did Avatar

Career:205-129
Chips:
That fight looked like an even worse version of Bas v. Randleman,which was bad enough.Not saying that Bas sux even one tenth as much as Heath did that night (or that O'Brien is as good as Randleman),but at the time he had very little takedown defense and was similarly blanketed the whole fight,but with different results by the judges.Total disappointment the other night ,thank God it wasn't on PPV.
Heath can blame it on "not coming for a wrestling match" all he wants,but if he doesn't want to have to worry about takedowns,he needs to go to K-1 (where he'd be thoroughly schooled).I really do want to like Heath,but he was a big dissapointment the other night.
For the record,lots of Pride fans have claimed that BJM should have been quicker to stand them up.Well,even when it was stood up,it went straight back to the ground.Yeah,I'd like to see a yellow card system implemented as much as most Pride fans,but ya still have to have SOME kind of answer for perpetually being put on your back or you're just getting pwned on.

Last edited 1/28/07 8:32PM server time by We_Todd_Did
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/28/07 8:31:22PM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Career:98-51
Chips:
herring said in his post fight interview that he tore his mcl before the fight

Post #4   1/28/07 8:44:29PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by gspfan31

not trying to be a jerk to you (im a huge gsp as well), but thats why fighters shouldnt take fights if they are injured. I dont care how tough they are or how much they want the win if you have an injury that bad you shouldnt fight, if not for yourself than for the fans. We dont want to see a bad fight and we certainly dont want to hear excuses about it later!

Post #5   1/28/07 8:59:03PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
That's pretty stupid of him if it's even true. When I was watching it didn't seem like he was hurt at all. I had a feeling he was going to lose (exactly because of Jakes wrestling) but like you guys I had no idea it was going to be such a blowout. His gameplan is what killed him. Just watching him in that crazy stance was mind-boggling. He should've fought his fight and used his hands a lot more. God dude it sucks because I had some high hopes for Herring, he has been an exciting fighter and I am floored by his lack of performance.

Post #6   1/28/07 9:49:14PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I'm willing to give Heath the benefit of the doubt. I think he fought a smart fight for someone whos recently had major surgery, has never fought in an octagon, and whos never fought in UFC. I think he tried too hard to conserve his energy at first, and his takedown defense was really bad, although its hard to spawl with a bum knee. I think some blame lies with O'Brien too, as he has no submission game, and was losing on the feet. He laid and prayed most of that fight, which is why Heath wanted it to be stood up.

I'm a big fan of Heath and I hope he can come back in a few months and have a good fight.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   1/28/07 10:25:38PM   

corpsegrinder

Learning to Sprawl

corpsegrinder Avatar

Career:243-160
Chips:
I want to see Mir VS herring

Post #8   1/28/07 11:53:49PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
He has alot of excuses lol.... I can't beleave people respect him after all his excuses. Any UFC fighter would of got flamed to hell. I lost most my respect for him after hearing all the excuses why he lost. He needs to go train, and quit with the excuses it's over and done.

Posted by gspfan31

Last edited 1/30/07 3:57AM server time by shackle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/30/07 3:55:35AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by shackle

He has alot of excuses lol.... I can't beleave people respect him after all his excuses. Any UFC fighter would of got flamed to hell. I lost most my respect for him after hearing all the excuses why he lost. He needs to go train, and quit with the excuses it's over and done.

Posted by gspfan31

He is a UFC fighter, I think people just like him and are hoping he will reurn to form.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   1/30/07 3:58:18AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,663-1,009
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think they should put Heath against Cheick Kongo. That would be a fun fight. Cheick sucks balls on the ground as well.

Post #11   1/30/07 3:59:14AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
I know that... But he fought for pride in the past.

I don't care about Orgs I just hate nutt huggers.

Lets how he does maybe it will be a reality check for him.

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by shackle

Posted by gspfan31

He is a UFC fighter, I think people just like him and are hoping he will reurn to form.

Post #12   1/30/07 4:01:39AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

I think they should put Heath against Cheick Kongo. That would be a fun fight. Cheick sucks balls on the ground as well.

I think they are saving Kongo for Cro-cop's 2nd fight. Maybe after Cro-cop KO's Sanchez they'll have him fight Herring. Also, if Herring really does have a torn MCL he could be a out a while. It all depends on the severity of the tear.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   1/30/07 4:03:36AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,663-1,009
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by ac_gi

I think they are saving Kongo for Cro-cop's 2nd fight. Maybe after Cro-cop KO's Sanchez they'll have him fight Herring. Also, if Herring really does have a torn MCL he could be a out a while. It all depends on the severity of the tear.

I would like to see Cro-cop fight for a title after Sanchez (like silva). I think the Randy v Tim fight will be identical to the Monson V Tim fight. Tim and Mirko would be a very fun fight, and I can't wait to see it.

Post #14   1/30/07 4:11:45AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by ac_gi

I would like to see Cro-cop fight for a title after Sanchez (like silva). I think the Randy v Tim fight will be identical to the Monson V Tim fight. Tim and Mirko would be a very fun fight, and I can't wait to see it.

I think Randy is a better wrestler, taller , and has better strikes than Monson. I don't know if he will go the distance, but I think that was Sylvia's fault and he could have put him away from the middle of the 4th round on if he tried. I still think Sylvia wins, but I think it will be a more exciting fight.

The Iron Code

Post #15   1/30/07 4:16:45AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2