Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Basic Submissions

Print  
Posted By Message

InfernoTPC

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Hello Everyone,

So I'm new to training and was wondering which submissions are the most common that can be done from several positions. I'm asking because when I'm rolling I don't know exactly where to go next and to me it's due to my lack of knowledge with submissions (as well as transitions, but for the purpose of this thread I just want to stay on subs).

I know some of the basics, Armlock, Triangle, Kimura, Americana, Guillotine. Are there any others that I could possibly look at the add or should I just focus on these in the beginning months? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Post #1   3/30/13 1:06:14PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Ooooooooo

Posted by InfernoTPC

Hello Everyone,

So I'm new to training and was wondering which submissions are the most common that can be done from several positions. I'm asking because when I'm rolling I don't know exactly where to go next and to me it's due to my lack of knowledge with submissions (as well as transitions, but for the purpose of this thread I just want to stay on subs).

I know some of the basics, Armlock, Triangle, Kimura, Americana, Guillotine. Are there any others that I could possibly look at the add or should I just focus on these in the beginning months? Any and all help would be appreciated.

If you just started you should really only be learning postions. Holding them moving from postion to postion. If your instructor is showing a lot of subs right from the jump your not getting your moneys worth. You have to crawl before you learn tl walk.

Post #2   3/30/13 1:52:04PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You could also always browse the training video section to find some good tutorials

Training Videos

Post #3   3/30/13 5:28:14PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
the submissions you listed are good enough to stick too for now. learn positions, transitions, how to open someone's guard. take it slow, you'll probably find that you'll be working your submission defense for the first several months.

Post #4   3/30/13 9:04:52PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,378-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Positions, defense and escapes

Post #5   3/30/13 9:56:36PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I honestly wouldn't be too worried about attacking with submissions at this point.

If you're just starting out, worry about positions and defense. Pay attention to what your opponent does. Try to think and learn as you roll, don't try to win. Don't avoid higher belts just because they kick your ass. Those are the guys you really want to train with.

Hunt them down on the mat and ask them to roll. Try to follow their movements as closely as you can and recreate them when you train with other white belts. If they do a move/submission that you can't quite follow or that you find especially interesting, ask them to show you what they just did. If you're at a good gym, the upper belts will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

Once you learn how to get good positions, see attacks coming, and defend submissions, your own submissions will come much easier.

Basically: leave your ego at the edge of the mat. Competitions are for winning. Training is for learning.

Post #6   4/8/13 2:45:18PM   

Page

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I don't know about basic, but in MMA the most common submissions are:
the rear naked choke
the guillotine
and the armbar

Like everyone else said though... position before submission. You're more likely to hurt your training partners or yourself if you're just diving on submissions as a newbie.

Post #7   5/16/13 12:38:51PM