Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bellator 94 results: Emanuel Newton, David Rickels claim tournament titles

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It didn't come easy, but Emanuel Newton (21-7-1 MMA, 4-1 BFC) earned his much-desired rematch with Bellator MMA light heavyweight champ Attila Vegh.

Newton earned a hard-fought decision win over fellow tournament finalist Mikhail Zayats (21-7 MMA, 2-1 BFC) to claim Bellator MMA's Season 8 light heavyweight bracket crown...

Full Story

Post #1   3/29/13 3:17:55AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Only saw the undercard, but it was boss. I wonder if zayats was doomed before he entered the cage for being a smiler?

Post #2   3/29/13 6:40:30AM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:
It's good to see Newton get another shot at Vegh. Hopefully we can get a good fight with a clear winner with controversy this time around.

That was a much needed KO win for Rickel's too. He was probably losing the fight up until then.
I'm glad for Rickel's winning, but I think that was a bad Decision. Rickel's KO punch came after the bell.

Post #3   3/29/13 8:51:15AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,164-1,334
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Rickel's KO punch came after the bell.
No it didn't!!
They replayed the end about five times after the fight was over and it was not late. Only issue was if Saad should of had another ten seconds to stand up after he laid their as if he lost.

Post #4   3/29/13 10:24:17AM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:

Posted by JoeWarren33

No it didn't!!
They replayed the end about five times after the fight was over and it was not late. Only issue was if Saad should of had another ten seconds to stand up after he laid their as if he lost.

Yeah, it looked to me the punch landed right at the last second and Saad didn't face plant until after the bell. The ref called it cause he wasn't getting up.

Post #5   3/29/13 11:27:02AM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by JoeWarren33

No it didn't!!

Yeah, it looked to me the punch landed right at the last second and Saad didn't face plant until after the bell. The ref called it cause he wasn't getting up.

I just rewatched. I was wrong. The punch did land at 4:59 in Rd2.

The only problem was the ref having that look like "What do I do". It would have no controversy or very little if he called it immediately.

Post #6   3/29/13 11:38:23AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Saad made the refs job of calling the fight much easier by just laying on the canvas. I still think if he made an attempt to get up, we would have seen a 3rd round.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #7   3/29/13 12:06:06PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:
It seemed to me that he knew he was in his corner and was just laying there waiting for his cornermen because the fight wasn't called off right away. He even put his hands behind his head like he was relaxing there. Bad call by Waugh. I bet Awad hops right up after the bell in every match in his future.

Post #8   3/29/13 12:10:26PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,612-939
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Machida v Thiago Silva anyone? Almost identical in terms of ref reaction.

Post #9   3/29/13 12:56:24PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
This has happened 3 other times that I can think of.

Machida vs Silva: Machida lands the punch last second, ref (Yves?) hovers for a second, sees he's out cold and calls it.

Franklin vs Silva 2: Franklin crumples from a knee at the last second, makes an effort to get up and is given the benefit of the doubt.

Howard vs Hallman: Hallman gets blasted with a superman hook punch of desperation after dominating the entire fight. Hits the mat out cold in the last second of the fight, ref calls it a KO.

The call for Awad vs Rickles was the same as two of the above in that Awad was unresponsive and ref called it. It's Awad's fault for not giving a thumbs up or indicating he wasn't really hurt, considering he hit the mat like a ton of bricks.

Its no different than guys who relax when they're in a choke and have the ref call it because they think you're out. Gotta understand you look hurt/unconscious doing that kind of thing.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   3/29/13 1:37:23PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

It's Awad's fault for not giving a thumbs up or indicating he wasn't really hurt, considering he hit the mat like a ton of bricks.

I have to disagree, I think the onus is on the ref to make a decisive call in that situation. When Awad sees the ref walking Rickels to his corner and NOT signalling an end to the fight, there's no reason for him to think that he needs to tell the ref he's okay. I'd probably take a second to collect my thoughts and give a quick "whew" knowing that the bell rang just in time too. Waugh had plenty of time to at least ask Awad if he was okay and make a decision based on his answer and if he seemed out of it or not. His reaction to the whole thing was too slow, but that stuff happens with officiating in any sport.

Now it certainly would have been a smart thing to do in hindsight, there's no arguing that at all.

Post #11   3/29/13 2:03:05PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
If I recall, Awad had his eyes closed, so he couldn't have known Waugh was walking away. I agree Waugh should have been a bit more decisive in that situation, but I'm also not sure what he's allowed to do in that circumstance.

If you remember Bones Jones vs Hamill, Hamill was laying there unresponsive and they just called it a DQ immediately without asking if he could continue from the illegal blows. A ref might not be able to ask him to get up or show him he's ok if he's laying down. I know they're not allowed to physically help you up, so don't know where they draw the line on "assisting" a fighter after a down.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #12   3/29/13 3:12:04PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei