Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Decimal Controversy: Nick Diaz's lawyer releases texts from UFC & Quebec officials

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,812-1,098
Chips:
For the record, I don't think this warrants a rematch or a NC. I just think it shows how corrupt the Quebec athletic commission and Zuffa are, and I support Nick and his Lawyers in exposing it.

Post #16   3/30/13 2:57:18AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

For the record, I don't think this warrants a rematch or a NC. I just think it shows how corrupt the Quebec athletic commission and Zuffa are, and I support Nick and his Lawyers in exposing it.

I think GSP is going to have a tougher time getting fights on his home ground.

Post #17   3/30/13 9:49:53AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:1,988-1,230
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Manak- Big difference is, those are team sports and this is an individual sport. I do agree with you on rules, also Nfl brought it other rules to protect other positions not just the QB.

Post #18   3/30/13 10:48:34AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:1,988-1,230
Chips:
Hope next Gsp fight is in Vegas as planned!

Last edited 3/30/13 11:23AM server time by joewarren33
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #19   3/30/13 10:50:40AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Montreal bending over backwards for their cash cow. Now Bellator wants to have an event there but apparently can't because of their ring being over 24 feet across which is the max in Montreal, yet the Octagon is 32 feet across and is allowed because GSP fights for the UFC.

They just make up rules on the fly and don't enforce those in place if it doesn't benefit themselves or "their" fighters.

The judging on Montreal events as we've seen multiple events in a row also leaves a lot to be desired.

I think the Diaz camp didn't care about it until the fight was over because GSP missing weight would've meant non-title fight. Unfortunately they were just on the wrong end of a shitty AC.. nothing will be done and a rematch is unnecessary.. Touchy subject that no one will go near.

The UFC should not use the AC in Montreal the next time they head up there. Let them miss out on the gate so they get their act and way their rules are written finally up to speed if they want to be a regular UFC destination.

Post #20   3/31/13 12:22:43AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

The UFC should not use the AC in Montreal the next time they head up there. Let them miss out on the gate so they get their act and way their rules are written finally up to speed if they want to be a regular UFC destination.

As much as I'd love to see the commission in Quebec pay the price for their terrible handling of this event, the UFC would never do this because Montreal has been a cash cow for the company.

I think this is a case where Diaz has a legitimate argument against officials, but I also think that the Diaz camp is ridiculous in what they feel are owed to them because of it.

Post #21   3/31/13 2:35:05AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Kpro

As much as I'd love to see the commission in Quebec pay the price for their terrible handling of this event, the UFC would never do this because Montreal has been a cash cow for the company.

Purely wishful thinking, I know it would never happen. It seems a lot of the provinces are horrible up North, Re: MFC.

Last edited 3/31/13 3:30AM server time by Kpro

Post #22   3/31/13 3:29:27AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by JoeWarren33

I am actually disgusted reading this, it goes to show you they have their favorites and GSP is one of them! I am sick of the special treatment GSP is getting, and how this is acceptable is beyond me. I look forward to Hendricks KO'ing his a$$!

you do realize every sport shows favoritism to their stars, I mean the NFL has put in rule changes to make sure QBs are left alone. NBA has made the refs call more fouls to help their superstars. yes if he did in fact miss weight then it is fucked up and should be a no contest but it is nonsense to think they will stop showing favoritism to guys who make the millions. there is a reason certain events sell better then others, because people either like rooting for Goliath or rooting to see him fall.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but that doesn't make it any more justifiable. Your argument is essentially "Of course they're corrupt, look at how popular GSP is!" It's a fact, but just because makes sense financially doesn't mean the fans have to accept this nonsense. Favoritism is rooted in fan base, which is rooted in Octagon success. If GSP lost, someone would eventually become a fan favorite himself. I'm not that interested in rigging the deck in order to maintain the current status quo.

Last edited 4/1/13 5:10PM server time by jay98107

Post #23   4/1/13 5:04:28PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,261-841
Chips:
Who really cares ?

Christ, this is a lot of noise over a fraction of a pound.

Would this fraction of a pound make any difference to the outcome, or if GSP failed to make 170 on the nose, wouldn't he have the ability to cut that?

Am I missing something here ?

Post #24   4/2/13 2:53:19PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Chips:
Well I will say its very shady of the Montreal commission but its really a non-issue and I think by trying to make it an issue is making Diaz and his camp look like a bunch of cry baby's.

Post #25   4/2/13 9:14:55PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2