Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC nixes UFCmania.com sponsorship of Jon Fitch

Print  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

The headline speaks for itself.

We received terrible news recently that the UFC will not approve our sponsorship of welterweight Jon Fitch at UFC Fight Night 10 on June 12, which is less than one week away.

No reason was given and the folks who I attempted to contact over at UFC headquarters didn’t respond.

The unresponsiveness is not surprising.

I’m just a small-time blogger trying to market and support an up-and-coming fighter — not some big-time player with deep pockets. And if the UFC doesn’t agree with that — for whatever reason — then far be it from me to tell them how to run their business.....

Post #1   6/6/07 10:53:30PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Chips:
link

read on UFCmania.com that the UFC has rejected their sponsorship of UFC fighter Jon Fitch. This blows my mind. What, because now that the UFC controls the whole sport, they can play God. Did you see how many Girls Gone Wild Commercials were on UFC 70, on Spike TV and they are worried about a blog dedicated to promoting there promotion, sponsoring a fighter. UFCmania said that they heard the news via Jon Fitch and not the UFC. No reason was given as to why the sponsorship was rejected. What’s the big deal if a UFC fan site wants to sponsor a fighter who has to work as a bartender to pay the bills. I was already disgusted about how little the UFC pays under card fighters. I want to know why the UFC made this decision. My only guess is that UFCmania.com has UFC in their name and they have to enforce their trademark. I sure going to keep an eye on this story. All I have to say to the UFC is: “Don’t bite the hand of the blog that promotes you”.

Post #2   6/8/07 12:17:26AM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
UFCmania is a site that gives news about the UFC which is what UFC.com is for so I can see where they are coming from. It is still strange though that condom depot can sponsor Arlovski or Girls Gone Wild commercials can frequent UFC 71but a website that supports their organization can't sponsor Fitch.

Post #3   6/8/07 12:22:03AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xthe_scottx

UFCmania is a site that gives news about the UFC which is what UFC.com is for so I can see where they are coming from. It is still strange though that condom depot can sponsor Arlovski or Girls Gone Wild commercials can frequent UFC 71but a website that supports their organization can't sponsor Fitch.

so is the ufcjunkie, and the sponsored salmon with no troubles

Post #4   6/8/07 12:33:41AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
In the wake of recent comments, this I think is a legit thread bump....

Post #5   6/22/07 9:56:09PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Thats interesting... Maybe because they used "UFC" in the name? Im pretty sure UFCjunkie didnt have a name on his shorts, he just does some writing for them (not sure though) Hmmm, its strange, thats for sure.

Post #6   6/22/07 10:13:11PM