Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Where would you rate Ben Askren?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tattflash

In Full Mount

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,614-1,860
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Honestly most of the you guys didn't know who Weidman was before he came to the UFC, or that Anderson Silva feller. He's not top 5 or anything like that but he is definitely top10 based on ability, I have no idea what his chin is like or if his hands will ever improve, but he is far and away the best wrestler in MMA and has a solid chance of grapple fucking anybody.

In fairness Weidman had 4 fights before his UFC debut, one against a certain Uriah Hall, so he was basically an unkown in most MMA circles. Anderson Silva I would say would of been well know to many MMA fans of a certain age before his UFC debut due to his Pride/Cage Rage days ( great fight with Lee Murray).

My take on it is that Askren is outside the top 10 fighters, he is, and this is just my opinion behind the following

1...GSP
2...Johnny Hendricks
3...Carlos Condit
4...Rory Macdonald
5...Martin Kampmann
6...Jake Ellenberger
7...Demian Maia
8...Nick Diaz
9...John Fitch
10...Tarec Saffiedine
11...Nate Marquadt
12...Tyrone Woodley
13...Ben Askren

The thing is he is very unlikely to test himself against the elite in the UFC due to his war of words with Dana White,and the fact he only seems to get noticed for calling UFC fighters out and not for his unexciting style of fighting, that Dana has stated many times he does not like

Last edited 3/31/13 1:22PM server time by tattflash
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #16   3/31/13 1:20:06PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
the writers and fans always have a slight bias in favor of non-UFC stuff.

There's really no justification to rank any non-UFC fighter at WW, MW, LHW or HW inside the top 10 at this point in mma history. You gotta get in the Octagon to crack the top 10 in my eyes.

I do like Ben more than just about any other non-UFC fighter these days though. I believe in rassling.

Post #17   4/1/13 12:02:39AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,526-937
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause
There's really no justification to rank any non-UFC fighter at WW, MW, LHW or HW inside the top 10 at this point in mma history. You gotta get in the Octagon to crack the top 10 in my eyes.

Well, the UFC disagrees with you. They have Tarec Saffeidine as their #8 WW, Luke Rockhold as their #6 MW, Gegard Moussasi as their #10 LHW and Daniel Cormier as their #3 HW....and none has ever fought a single match in the UFC.

If Askren made the move to the UFC he would be fast-tracked to a title shot within a couple of wins. If you don't thinks so ask yourself how the last two contenders (Diaz and Condit) made their reputation. It was primarily outside of the UFC.

Post #18   4/1/13 2:05:05PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Under the super annoying category.

Post #19   4/5/13 4:38:03PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think he would lose against any top ten UFC WW.

His striking looks awful. He's doesn't seem to have a lot of explosion or strength. Jay Hieron gave him trouble and Hieron has never looked good in the UFC.

Post #20   4/8/13 2:30:41PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2