Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Where would you rate Ben Askren?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I'd like to start out by saying I think he's a good prospect. Possibly some of the best wresting in mma and a steadily developing striking and sub game.
But what the hell is the guy doing in the top 10 rankings of nearly every site?!
I get that he's 11-0 but the level of competition he's faced doesn't warrant the ranking he's given.

He's got a record built on journeymen and guys who should be fighting on the regional circuit. Yet he's ranked above guys like Koscheck, Saffiedine, Pyle, Pearce and in some cases higher than Fitch, Kampmann and Ellenburger.

His biggest test to date is Hieron, who took him to a razor close split decision. Hieron then left won one then got Dominated by Ellenburger and KO'd by Woodley. Both of which I've seen ranked lower than Askren.
Other than him Lima is in my opinion his second biggest test and again he's not ranked on any top 20 list I've found.

It leaves me thinking, is Askren ranked so highly because of his potential and if so how is it fair to the guys that have put in the wins against solid competition, been tested against legit top 20 to earn their place in the rankings? Does what he could be weigh more than what others have already achieved?

Is it the fact that he holds a belt in Bellator? Or that he's such a decorated wrestler?
Looking through his record he has yet to fight one guy ranked top 20. That in my opinion means he can't be ranked top 10.
I'd struggle to see any sense in an argument that sides with him being ranked top 10 without actually fighting top 10 guys. I could see a case if he was running through guys ranked 25 to 15 but in all honesty he's struggled with a solid journeyman in Hieron and I couldn't see him beating guys like Pearce, Kos or Ellenburger.

Can anyone give a solid argument as to why he is ranked so highly?

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   3/21/13 11:34:47AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Some where between over and rated

Post #2   3/21/13 12:12:00PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by SmileR
Can anyone give a solid argument as to why he is ranked so highly?

No. But there is always one or 2 guys outside of the UFC who make waves and get a huge jump for almost nothing.

Post #3   3/21/13 12:17:17PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He recently claimed he could beat GSP, so in reality he's #1 at WW

Post #4   3/21/13 1:08:03PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I will admit, I'm biased as hell, because I am one of them rare breeds of folk who is a fan of Askren. I like the kid and think he has all the potential in the world to go very very far one day when/if he rounds his game out and he gets all the pieces of the preverbial mma puzzle put together. He has great wrestling, and as he showed in his last fight, his gnp is improving, and he is finally developing some power. His striking still leaves a lot to be desired, and his striking defense and movement still need work if you ask me. All that aside, I personally would have him ranked somewhere round about the top 20. I don't know for sure that I would put him inside it, but he is at least right around it. I want to put him inside it, but I don't know that I can objectively put him there without considering my bias toward him.

Post #5   3/21/13 1:11:46PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic
I like the kid and think he has all the potential in the world to go very very far one day when/if he rounds his game out and he gets all the pieces of the preverbial mma puzzle put together.

Couldn't you pretty much say that for any up and coming top 35 mma fighters?

Post #6   3/21/13 1:23:31PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
he's not in the top 10. top ten fighters should be ranked on who they have defeated not their record or even if they hold a title because we all know that the ufc titles are the only ones that count in the rankings. askren hasnt fought anybody and neither has melendez, thats why neither are in my top ten. i honestly think GSP would embarrass askren, probably put a wrestling clinic on askren too.

Post #7   3/21/13 1:48:33PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,428-751
Chips:
I have him ranked just outside of the top 10. For what its worth. I think he's got potential to be in the top 10 in the near future.
UFC WW's are stacked and very little difference from #3-#10 really. We've seen guys like Maia and MacDonald shoot up really high in just a couple of fights.
UFC has been ranking top WW's against each other for the most part and a win can take you from lower tier top ten to top tier and vise versa.
Askrew really can't be in the top 10 simply because of the opponents he's faced. But I think the fact that he's a Bellator champ weighs on his ranks.

Post #8   3/21/13 2:12:43PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,428-751
Chips:
I also think Ellenberger should fight the GSP/Hendricks winner as his only slip up lately was to another top 10 guy Kampmann who he nearly had finished in the first 30 seconds.

Post #9   3/21/13 2:15:13PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

he's not in the top 10. top ten fighters should be ranked on who they have defeated not their record or even if they hold a title because we all know that the ufc titles are the only ones that count in the rankings. askren hasnt fought anybody and neither has melendez, thats why neither are in my top ten. i honestly think GSP would embarrass askren, probably put a wrestling clinic on askren too.

I'm with you on that.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #10   3/21/13 2:17:55PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

I have him ranked just outside of the top 10. For what its worth. I think he's got potential to be in the top 10 in the near future.
UFC WW's are stacked and very little difference from #3-#10 really. We've seen guys like Maia and MacDonald shoot up really high in just a couple of fights.
UFC has been ranking top WW's against each other for the most part and a win can take you from lower tier top ten to top tier and vise versa.
Askrew really can't be in the top 10 simply because of the opponents he's faced. But I think the fact that he's a Bellator champ weighs on his ranks.

pretty much this. I'd have Askren around #15. But all it takes is one loss to be dropped way down (see Fedor and Lombard).

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   3/21/13 8:46:36PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Honestly most of the you guys didn't know who Weidman was before he came to the UFC, or that Anderson Silva feller. He's not top 5 or anything like that but he is definitely top10 based on ability, I have no idea what his chin is like or if his hands will ever improve, but he is far and away the best wrestler in MMA and has a solid chance of grapple fucking anybody.

Post #12   3/21/13 9:26:44PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,154-606
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He is the either the top of bottom the fighters, or the bottom of the top fighters. Take your pick.

Post #13   3/21/13 11:10:13PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Above "Safe" SP and below Johny.

**Side note: Remember to always buy low and sell high.

Last edited 3/23/13 12:53AM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   3/23/13 12:48:34AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He aint in my top 10
He needs to fight better talent.
Question is would askren ever leave bellator and go to Ufc
I doubt he would ever be a contender. And his style I doubt Ufc might want him. He's boring

Post #15   3/30/13 10:38:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2