Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Johnson, Arlovski, World Series of Fighting respond to Dana White's criticism

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
World Series of Fighting 2 headliners and the promotion's CEO say a fighter should determine his or her own destiny. If they want to fight at a weight different than what they're known for, they should be able to do so.

Link

Post #1   3/20/13 10:43:35PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Chips:
I can understand both sides, WSOF is a B league for sure but all know it so there is no reason rub anyones face in it. Then again I don't see why his decision to fight at HW or LHW matters considering he is a fighter who is extremely talented and still trying to find gis way. Shit if Rumble beats Arlovski and goes on a small tear at LHW I bet Dana re-hires him asap. Saying something along the lines of how glad he is that Johnson figured it out and is finally fighting at the right weight class.

Post #2   3/21/13 12:52:43AM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
Dana is feeling the first minor threat of WSOF. They have a good card with famous guys Saturday and have another card coming up with probably Fitch, Volkmann, maybe Torres again, etc.

I love UFC but you can't trick the hardcore fans - if the UFC is gonna keep putting their 50th best welterweights or 60th best lightweights on tv regularly, the big mma fans are always going to be left wanting a little more and looking for these other orgs to supply it.

Post #3   3/21/13 8:41:54AM   

tattflash

In Full Mount

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,435-1,753
Chips:
I love the fact the the likes of Bellator, WSOF and to a much lesser extent Bamma or putting on good shows these days, it keeps the UFC on its toes and reminds them that the fans want to see exciting fights not any old rubbish, and these smaller shows are doing that.

Post #4   3/21/13 10:07:30AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
That is a pretty sweet card

Post #5   3/21/13 10:38:08AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

Dana is feeling the first minor threat of WSOF. They have a good card with famous guys Saturday and have another card coming up with probably Fitch, Volkmann, maybe Torres again, etc.

I love UFC but you can't trick the hardcore fans - if the UFC is gonna keep putting their 50th best welterweights or 60th best lightweights on tv regularly, the big mma fans are always going to be left wanting a little more and looking for these other orgs to supply it.

That minor threat is due to NBC being behind WSOF.

Post #6   3/21/13 10:45:37AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If anyone saw the interview, Dana did not speak as though WSOF were a threat. In fact, the quote was even taken out of context. IIRC, Dana was asked about Arlovski's recent talk of wanting back in the UFC. Dana mentioned that this fight wouldn't be really helping that cause, since Rumble is a 170 pounder fighting at HW. And that is the only reason it was refereed to as an illegitimate fight. It wasn't directed at Johnson or WSOF. If was in reference to Arlovski proving himself as a HW. I'm surprised that Junkie,of all sites, didn't give a more accurate representation of the events. Drama sells, I guess.

Last edited 3/21/13 11:27AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/21/13 11:26:21AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

If anyone saw the interview, Dana did not speak as though WSOF were a threat. In fact, the quote was even taken out of context. IIRC, Dana was asked about Arlovski's recent talk of wanting back in the UFC. Dana mentioned that this fight wouldn't be really helping that cause, since Rumble is a 170 pounder fighting at HW. And that is the only reason it was refereed to as an illegitimate fight. It wasn't directed at Johnson or WSOF. If was in reference to Arlovski proving himself as a HW. I'm surprised that Junkie,of all sites, didn't give a more accurate representation of the events. Drama sells, I guess.

Clearly. It looks to have fired up Sefo at least...but I'm not clear if he's annoyed with Dana or fans in general who trash fighters.

Post #8   3/21/13 1:33:22PM