Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Surprise Van

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,583-1,321
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Flash basically conceded in the mobile space a while back. If you have an Android device, you can still install it manually. Easiest way being to just email the latest version to yourself from a computer and then d/l and install on your phone/tablet. If you have an iOS device, there has never been flash support.

As far as an alternative goes, I'm not sure if there's an HTML 5 version available, but that's the go-to alternative for most things flash. Some things are ported over to HTML 5 easier than others though, so I'm not sure of the options.

So odds are there is no way to decorate the Van to have it work on everyone's mobile device, but those with mobile devices should be sure they have d/l Flash and installed it on their phone/tablet and there's no form of embedded chat I can change from Flash to that is going to better address everyone's mobile issues? It's more on their end on installing Flash(?) Should I put in a HTML5 chat or would I just be creating more issues or just be moving parallel by not solving any issues that are already present with the Van for mobile users? I don't want to switch to HTML5 unless it's going to get the majority of users that can't get in, in. Otherwise downloading and installing Flash on the mobile device to be used to access the Surprise Van is really the only option? (If you know.... I'm just looking for a general direction to look but want to make sure it's worthwhile to even scour and trial and error away a few hours before doing something that won't make it more accessible from mobile devices.) Thanks for any info.

Last edited 3/17/13 7:53PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #31   3/17/13 7:46:05PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Anyone who would use the Surprise Van for mobile use, send me what OS and device you are using on the board or in PM and your phone # too if I don't already have it (if you want), that way if I do tinker around with it over the next week I can just send out a mass text to those who'd use it on their mobile device and have feedback from users on multiple devices/OS's. If you send your phone #, do it by PM of course, not on the board. I'd use it only for a text when/if a new version of the Van is ready to try out so I have an idea how many different types of mobile devices I'm getting feedback on. Otherwise, I can PM those who don't want to get a text, but at least let me know your device/OS so I know what I'm up against for those who'd be in the Surprise Van if they could on their phone. If something can be done, I'll try and accommodate those that can't access it on the run atm.

Post #32   3/17/13 8:09:16PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Thanks for the PM's, have 3 Android phones with varying OS versions and an iPhone so far. Keep sending them. I'd DL the newest Flash and install it and then try to access the Surprise Van also as that has already worked for one person. The real test will come when 20-30 people are in there and most actively typing once everyone has the newest flash installed. Still waiting to hear from someone more in the know than me if I should look into an HTML5 chat or if it'd be pointless.

Post #33   3/17/13 9:58:29PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,881-1,577
Chips:
The benefit of HTML5 is that it will work across all platforms. It's not a perfect solution for everything, but for something this simple, I imagine there wouldn't be any issues. You may sacrifice a couple of bells and whistles, but otherwise, I don't imagine too many issues. Flash will "never" work on iOS, so there's that. Android is very fragmented, in that there are a wide variety of versions, depending on the device your using. Currently, virtually every Android device should have the capability of running Flash, it's just a matter of doing a manual update at this point. Some older or cheaper devices may not run it smoothly, I imagine though. Android and iOS account for probably 90%+ market share, so there's no real need to cater to anything else. Blackberry is going the way of the dinosaur and Windows just can't get it's hooks in to the mobile space, despite throwing a bunch of money at it lately.

And here's a link to download flash for anyone that wishes to do so:

Link

Post #34   3/17/13 10:29:10PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

The benefit of HTML5 is that it will work across all platforms. It's not a perfect solution for everything, but for something this simple, I imagine there wouldn't be any issues. You may sacrifice a couple of bells and whistles, but otherwise, I don't imagine too many issues. Flash will "never" work on iOS, so there's that. Android is very fragmented, in that there are a wide variety of versions, depending on the device your using. Currently, virtually every Android device should have the capability of running Flash, it's just a matter of doing a manual update at this point. Some older or cheaper devices may not run it smoothly, I imagine though. Android and iOS account for probably 90%+ market share, so there's no real need to cater to anything else. Blackberry is going the way of the dinosaur and Windows just can't get it's hooks in to the mobile space, despite throwing a bunch of money at it lately.

And here's a link to download flash for anyone that wishes to do so:

Link

Sweet, thanks Grapp. I'll dig around for the best HTML5 app to embed in the Van and send out a heads up when I have it in for testing's sake.

EDIT: At my prop limit like usual....

Last edited 3/17/13 10:32PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #35   3/17/13 10:31:36PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I'm not sure what model my phone is or what my OS is but I can't get in the surprise van on it. Here is a picture if it helps:

How do I get flash on it?

Post #36   3/17/13 10:36:15PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Adrenaline

I'm not sure what model my phone is or what my OS is but I can't get in the surprise van on it. Here is a picture if it helps:

How do I get flash on it?

Not sure, too new of a phone for me to know. Must be the upgrade to mine.

Post #37   3/17/13 10:40:18PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,881-1,577
Chips:
The Zack Morris special

Post #38   3/17/13 10:47:40PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Not sure, too new of a phone for me to know. Must be the upgrade to mine.

The guy at Verizon said I could get service in my rape dungeon and bludgeon a baby seal if need be. Battery life sucks though .

Seriously though, I'm an android guy, I'll try to hop on later and see if it works.

Post #39   3/17/13 10:53:41PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3