Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Quick Quote: 'Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
UFC Heavyweight Stefan Struve hasn't even hit his prime and it may already be time to hang up his gloves for good. Outspoken fight physician Dr. Johnny Benjamin explains why.

"Many people think, and Stefan will probably think, 'The doctor said I'm good to go, so I'll get right back in the gym and go at it,' but, even though we're great at healing bones, it's not so easy to heal the brain. How many times has he been knocked out? I know he's a young man, but he's been knocked out more than a few times. At some point, someone really needs to ask the question, should he still be fighting? That many concussions, so quickly, and at this young age ... a person has two types of age, chronological and physiologic age. Stefan's license may say he's 25, but in physiologic years, he's much, much older than that, with all the concussive force that he's sustained. I'm sure nobody will like to hear this, but Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring. If it's not him that will make that decision, then Dana White needs to start talking to him about retiring. The question out there is how many sustained concussions is too many, and according to the latest literature that's coming out, the answer is starting to look like it's somewhere between two and three. That's where you start having permanent changes. Knowing that data, Stefan is definitely beyond that number, and someone really needs to initiate serious discussion with either him or his promoter that he probably needs to do something else for a living."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   3/12/13 4:19:45PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Basketball, anyone?

Post #2   3/12/13 4:57:19PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
maybe I'm getting doctors mixed up but isn't this the same guy who's said a bunch of stupid shit over the years and only has credence because he has a "Dr" in front of his name?

Where is Dr Benjamin on Sidney Crosby or Michael Vick?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   3/12/13 5:12:56PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

maybe I'm getting doctors mixed up but isn't this the same guy who's said a bunch of stupid shit over the years and only has credence because he has a "Dr" in front of his name?

Where is Dr Benjamin on Sidney Crosby or Michael Vick?

Call me biased, but I can't trust any "doctor" named Johnny. Six-year-olds go by the name Johnny. You're a licensed professional, become John or Johnathan, hell even Jack.

Post #4   3/12/13 5:47:03PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,528-1,568
Camp: country KO
Chips:
So most of the NFL should have retired in College then.

Post #5   3/12/13 6:05:23PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Same dope who argued that woman's MMA should be three minute rounds because they have a higher chance of getting injured.

This guy is an attention whoring joke. I don't place any credence in anything he says.

Post #6   3/12/13 6:24:23PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Same dope who argued that woman's MMA should be three minute rounds because they have a higher chance of getting injured.

This guy is an attention whoring joke. I don't place any credence in anything he says.

I'm with you 100% on that. I posted this an then wrote a long reply but after reading it back I decided I might get banned. But what he presents as facts are twisted an bias.
Hes a joke and is whoring his "dr" status for views.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #7   3/12/13 6:31:06PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Hands up, chin down Stef

Post #8   3/12/13 7:03:55PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Admittedly, Struve has been hit a lot, more than most, but at the end of the day he still only has 5 KO losses. Where are all the doctor's clamoring for Frank Mir's retirement? Or Wanderlei Silvas?

Post #9   3/12/13 7:28:32PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Admittedly, Struve has been hit a lot, more than most, but at the end of the day he still only has 5 KO losses. Where are all the doctor's clamoring for Frank Mir's retirement? Or Wanderlei Silvas?

Only 5? I've never been knocked unconscious in my life, so to me getting ko'ed five times seems like a huge number. Not to mention fights like the one he had with Paul Buentello. I don't know how he got that decision. He got the shot beat out of him and had four teeth knocked out of his mouth. No way he got through that one unconcussed. (well actually, they had to pry the teeth out of his mouthguard between rounds)

I may not like ol' Johnny Benjamin, but I think he may have a legit point here.

Post #10   3/12/13 8:00:34PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This is the same "Dr" who claimed that the sport of MMA appeals to White males because we like to watch White males beat up racial minority's.

Remember this thread

Post #11   3/12/13 8:06:39PM   

Coolhand37

MMA Regular

Coolhand37 Avatar

Career:1,319-1,356
Camp: Brazilian Beatdown
Chips:
Don't think he should quit, He should keep going if he wants to. I think for his tallness he is way too skinny, he needs to come in at 280 or 285 after he cuts and his chin would be better through selective exercises he could put that weight on his jaw muscles, back strapp, and shoulders, he should do that or fight superheavy, in his skinny frail state he will always be suseptable to ko's by guys like mark hunt .....who throw overhand rights like a load of bricks. he has been ko'd by nelson, hunt, dos santos, and browne, all four of these guys are frigging killer ko artists so he shouldn't feel bad at all. he is a top level MMA ufc fighter just not championship caliber yet, but he is still a force. He should keep fighting I love the guy!!! By the way I was banned from making comments by a frigging pussy lol!! but I'm back and with a new and awesome car!! Yeah!!

Post #12   3/12/13 10:01:06PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
hes got ko losses but how many times has he gone completely stiffened up? like twice? mark hunt didnt stiffen him up he just clocked him and dropped him like he got shot and he was definitely out of it but he wasnt unconscious

Post #13   3/12/13 10:09:51PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I don't know it's just one doctor I think maybe we need a more varied range of opinions.

Somebody call Phil and Drew (if teen mom doesnt need him for a special)

Post #14   3/12/13 11:50:32PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Travesty145

hes got ko losses but how many times has he gone completely stiffened up? like twice? mark hunt didnt stiffen him up he just clocked him and dropped him like he got shot and he was definitely out of it but he wasnt unconscious

The further i got into your post the more i liked it and the more i wanted to give you props

Post #15   3/12/13 11:51:26PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2