Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen on the simplicity of successful MMA wrestling....

Print  
Posted By Message

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Chael Sonnen, UFC middleweight turned light heavyweight as well as an NCAA All-American in wrestling, goes in-depth in this interview to explain why some elite wrestlers find difficulty transferring their skills, what the current state of wrestling in MMA looks like, which camps are the best at converting elite wrestlers into MMA fighters, which style of wrestling best translates into actual fights, why a simple but highly effective wrestling game is really all anyone needs and so much more.

L-I-N-K

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 3/11/13 5:25PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #1   3/11/13 4:24:32PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
Really interesting stuff. The kind of article I'm saving in my archives.

Very interesting what he said about GSP:

"Secondly, you guys, Georges St. Pierre has one wrestling technique, Georges St. Pierre could never push and pull and pummel and set a guy up. He has one technique, which is the double leg. Now off of that double leg he's got about three different setups he uses to get to that position, and he's got about six different finishes depending on what his opponent does when he gets there. I would call him the best wrestler in MMA, but I would also go out and go 'Georges knows extremely little about wrestling'. If you want to go into a wrestling match, Georges is not the guy you want to coach and train you."

Post #2   3/11/13 5:18:45PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
remember when people believed the threat of GSP leaving MMA to pursue Olympic wrestling (way back when it was an Olympic sport)?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #3   3/11/13 11:58:33PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Lethal

Really interesting stuff. The kind of article I'm saving in my archives.

Very interesting what he said about GSP:

"Secondly, you guys, Georges St. Pierre has one wrestling technique, Georges St. Pierre could never push and pull and pummel and set a guy up. He has one technique, which is the double leg. Now off of that double leg he's got about three different setups he uses to get to that position, and he's got about six different finishes depending on what his opponent does when he gets there. I would call him the best wrestler in MMA, but I would also go out and go 'Georges knows extremely little about wrestling'. If you want to go into a wrestling match, Georges is not the guy you want to coach and train you."

It was truly a good read, but what Chael says here is just plain inaccurate. The double may be GSP's "favorite" technique, but the single is a close second...the very technique that Chael says doesn't exist in MMA. He's hit it numerous times and against top quality opponents. BJ is supposed to be impervious to the single leg, yet GSP hit it on him...and more than once IIRC. He also has very solid takedowns from the clinch and IIRC has even hit a high crotch or two. And most guys nowadays don't even try to take Georges down, but he flopped a couple of guys with a cowcatcher earlier in his UFC career. So, his TD's are a lot more diverse than he's given credit for here.

Post #4   3/12/13 1:12:54AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Chael is pretty smart, a little off on GSP but he does make a valid point on him. GSP is a bread and butter kind of MMA Wreslter compared to Sonnen, Askren etc...I also think Chael is absolutely a better coach than fighter (like Ortiz) and hopefully he doesn't fuck that up and try to go into management.

Post #5   3/12/13 1:44:50AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,126-652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Very interesting read

Post #6   3/12/13 9:37:38AM