Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Most Overrated/Underrated movies

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,587-973
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
A few buddies and I were talking about movies that we felt were underrated and movies we felt were overrated and overhyped. I'm not going to mention any of the twilight films because I feel they don't need to be mentioned on an overrated list, it just goes without saying.

Some films that I remember mentioning that I felt were underrated or largely over looked gems are:
Rock n Rolla - It is a Guy Ritchie master piece in my opinion and I am really hoping that the studios quit throwing Sherlocke Holmes movies at him so he can finally film it's sequel which he supposedly already has the script finished for it. Hopefully we'll get to see Real Rock n Rolla sometime in the next 2 years or so, but I have my doubts.

Snatch - Another Guy Ritchie masterpiece with a great cast. Brad Pitt plays a pikey and Jason Statham plays the rare role where he is not playing a bad ass who solves his problems with violence.

Equilibrium - It came out some time shortly after the Matrix, which was largely heralded for it's surreal action sequences and it's amazing visual effects such as when Neo bent backwards like he was some sort of gymnast while the bullets passed harmlessly over him when he probably could've just as easily rolled to the right or left to dodge them. Well, Equilibrium took those action sequences and pushed it to a whole other level.
One such amazing action sequence
The movie stars Christian Bale and is set in a Utopian society where they ensure peace by forcing the entire populace to take pills that supress their emotions as they believe that human emotion is what leads to war and prejudice and destruction. Those who refuse to take the pills and resist are put down by grammaton clerics, a ruthless force of highly trained gunfighters who have turned gunfighting into some form of martial art. It is an amazing film. It's a shame that so many people haven't seen it.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - I haven't talked to too many people who have even heard of this movie, let alone seen it. It is, in my opinion, hilarious. It's kinda like a spoof on slasher movies where the hillbillies are blamed perceived as the bad guys due to a series of hilarious misunderstandings, and in some cases, terrible communication between the two partys. I can't really say a whole lot about it without getting carried away and more or less revealing the whole movie to those of you on the playground who haven't seen it yet. If you haven't seen it, it's on netflix so you can watch it on instant, I recommend queuing it up and giving it a watch.

As for Overrated movies, here are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head:

Inception: I know there are probably going to be several people who may disagree with it's placement on a list of overrated movies, but, in my opinion it is. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this movie, and I own a copy of it. That said, so many people seem to make it out to be god's gift to cinema and call it the greatest movie ever. I love it, but personally, I'm not putting it above movies like The Departed, Deliverance (poor, poor Ned Beaty. He truly had the hardest part in that film), Heartbreak Ridge, Dirty Harry, and so many of the classic movies. It truly was a great movie, but at points it got a little redundant and convoluted. Leo turned in an amazing performance like always, and it was very well directed, but still overrated. Moving on.

The Hangover: Again, good movie, and genuinely hilarious, but still overrated. When you start talking to people about relatively recent (like within the last 5 years or so) comedies, people ALWAYS bring up the Hangover and often times once it gets brought up you can't get them to shut the hell up about it, and about Zack Galifianakis being epic in that movie.

The Titanic:
Very overrated. So many people, largely women it seems like, absolutely love this movie and blow it way out of proportion. Originally when I first saw it I thought, it's okay, I guess it was worth watching once. Since then, so many people talking about it being SOO amazing and how Leo was SOO dreamy, and how it was SOO tragic, has honestly made me hate that movie. For a while it made me hate Leo, thankfully the Departed fixed that for me, so I am once again able to enjoy one of the greatest actors ply his craft. I have a friend who still to this day cannot stand Leo because of his sister who used to watch this movie almost everyday on the only tv not being used by his parents, so naturally he was forced to watch it again and again and again.

I could add more, but this is already a long read as it is so I'll end it here. I'm interested to see what you guys think and look forward to reading your lists.

Post #1   3/8/13 2:01:28AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
You need to visit the "Last Movie you Watched" thread bro.Tucker and Dale vs Evil is a regular topic between us. I know KoPower is a big fan

Post #2   3/8/13 2:03:36AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:
i suppose I haven't visited that thread in a while to know how many people one here have watched it. I was mostly speaking from people I see and talk to on a day to day basis at work. Of course, maybe if I didn't live in such a small town I'd bump into more people that had seen it. Perhaps the movie has more of a fan following than I was aware of.

Post #3   3/8/13 2:10:35AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

i suppose I haven't visited that thread in a while to know how many people one here have watched it. I was mostly speaking from people I see and talk to on a day to day basis at work. Of course, maybe if I didn't live in such a small town I'd bump into more people that had seen it. Perhaps the movie has more of a fan following than I was aware of.

I'm not sure how big the following is but I really liked it. Shit, I own it

Post #4   3/8/13 2:25:22AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is the age of Netflix and VOD. Movies that good don't remain obscure for very long like they used to. Not to mention, it got a lot of attention on the genre sites even prior to release.

Post #5   3/8/13 2:30:40AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Chips:
underrated to me would be movies i enjoy more than most other people or movies i find rewatchable that others dont

im listing a more than a couple bc i have thought about this numerous times & actually already have a list on my computer from a long stoned conversation me & a buddy had a few months ago

to name a few......

What About Bob?
The Cable Guy
The Way of the Gun
Kick Ass
American History X
Trick r Treat
Oldboy
District 9
Idiocracy
The Jerk
The Basketball Diaries
Man on the Moon
Death to Smoochy
The Last Castle
Hell Ride

Last edited 3/8/13 3:54AM server time by Poor_Franklin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/8/13 3:53:33AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

underrated to me would be movies i enjoy more than most other people or movies i find rewatchable that others dont

im listing a more than a couple bc i have thought about this numerous times & actually already have a list on my computer from a long stoned conversation me & a buddy had a few months ago

to name a few......

What About Bob?
The Cable Guy
The Way of the Gun
Kick Ass
American History X
Trick r Treat
Oldboy
District 9
Idiocracy
The Jerk
The Basketball Diaries
Man on the Moon
Death to Smoochy
The Last Castle
Hell Ride

I completely forgot about Trick r Treat and The Cable guy! Both movies are great. I'm honestly a little ashamed of myself for overlooking them.

Post #7   3/8/13 4:08:31AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I completely forgot about Trick r Treat and The Cable guy! Both movies are great. I'm honestly a little ashamed of myself for overlooking them.

well it was easier for me bc i already had a list made. im sure there's still plenty more that i would consider overrated compared to others, but just cant think of any

Post #8   3/8/13 4:49:02AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Godfather Trilogy......about as overrated as Struve's reach.

Post #9   3/8/13 6:44:38AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
You can add Argo to that overrated list
Only reason it won best pic was cause of the Affleck director snub

Watched the film three more times with open mind
That pic wasn't even in top 3 of the 9 nominations

Post #10   3/8/13 7:55:08AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:2,011-1,179
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I never got the cult following for the Boondock Saints...Overrated IMO,Also i never made it through the Avengers thought it was slow and pretty much sucked balls.

Underrated

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Your Highness-Me and my buddies can quote this entire movie, I found it to be hilarious.
True Romance- Probably my second favorite movie of all time.

Post #11   3/8/13 8:07:21AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,975-1,623
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The Godfathers are classic

Post #12   3/8/13 9:32:21AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Yeah I'm with you. 3 kinda lost me but I only watched it once a long time ago.

Post #13   3/8/13 9:52:22AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by sparky

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Yeah I'm with you. 3 kinda lost me but I only watched it once a long time ago.

Post #14   3/8/13 11:37:42AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
three really overrated movies off the top of my head
LOTR 1
LOTR 2
LOTR 3

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #15   3/8/13 5:19:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2