Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

CFFC 5: New Kimbo Slice Video Promoting Upcoming MMA Event

Print  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

Infamous backyard brawler Kimbo Slice is going legit. Kimbo has been training for an upcoming fight against legendary boxer Ray Mercer at Cage Fury Fighting Championships (CFFC) 5. The event is to be held at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ on June 23. The CFFC is promoting the upcoming event at the end of Kimbo’s fight videos. The latest backyard brawl video has Kimbo taking on Chico, who puts up a good fight until he gets backed into a corner

Post #1   6/6/07 10:28:59AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:

In this video please notice the advertisements for Cage Fury Fighting Championship (CFFC) before and after the Kimbo Slice street fight. This really strikes a nerve with me. I understand that CFFC has to promote their fighters and I understand that Kimbo is best known for being a street fighter. But does CFFC need to promote their MMA card by attaching their advertisements to Kimbo’s latest street fight?

Read more..

The stereotype of MMA fighters being just “street fighters” is something that the sport has been desperately trying to get away from. CFFC is simply promoting this stereotype. Not only are they promoting this angle, they are exploiting it. The angle that the CFFC should be taking is that Kimbo is a street fighter who is now trying to legitimize himself as a true fighter. Instead, they have simply left it as Kimbo being just a street fighter, nothing more, nothing less.

Personally, I have no problem with Kimbo, his street fights, or the way he conducts himself. I do, however, have a problem with a mixed martial arts promotion advertising itself before and after a legitimate street fight. I guess it goes back to what you care about most. Selling tickets and pay per view or legitimizing mixed martial arts as a sport? There can be common ground between the two, it just seems that CFFC has decided to completely ignore the latter and just try to put butts in the seats. At $250 a pop for prime seating I guess I shouldn’t expect anything less.

But then I got to thinking: Isn’t this the same thing the UFC is doing with TUF 5 contestants Marlon Sims and Noah Thomas? UFC cares about the sport, right? I mean, how many times has Dana said that he doesn’t care about the money, just the sport? Or does he?

The backyard brawl between Noah and Marlon was hyped up in the week leading up to the episode. At the time, Dana was correct in what he said when he was at the house. It’s a disgrace to the sport for fighters to act like that, especially on national television.

So how do you punish these two knuckleheads? Never give them a chance to compete in the Octagon until they prove they can act right.

What does the UFC actually do? Give them a fight against each other on a nationally televised live event. Promote the real fight with a street fight on national television. Sounds bush league, right? Sounds like a page out of CFFC’s book.

Shame on you, CFFC. And especially shame on you, UFC.

link

Post #2   6/6/07 10:35:14AM