Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Following UFC 158, Nick Diaz up for shots at middleweight, lightweight titles

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,006-1,108
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Next Saturday Nick Diaz challenges for the UFC's welterweight title. But in the future, he wouldn't mind moving up to compete at middleweight – or even down a division to challenge for the 155-pound title.

"If I had that option available to me, I would be honored to be in that position, and I would be gratefully accepting of that position or fight, if you will, with the 185-pound champion or the 155-pound champion," Diaz said. "I would take either fight, and I think I could beat either guy to win a title at both weights.

Link

Post #1   3/7/13 6:06:19PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
he'd get eaten by most MW's.

LW would be interesting.

Post #2   3/7/13 7:47:17PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
not really a big story to comment on one way or another but it's just really a shame that there's so many good fighters out there who get snubbed when these big name contenders float around getting quick title shots in different weight classes.

Every time they go to a Faber, Chael, Nick (if this happens), etc it takes a big chance away from a lesser known but deserving guy.

Now with all the rumors flying about Aldo moving up, Pettis down, Jones up, Cormier down, and so on, they really aren't letting the weight classes develop anymore. There's almost 400 guys on the roster but 350 of them aren't in the inner circle enough to ever really get a title shot.

Post #3   3/7/13 7:51:57PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
But yet he wouldn't fight Mayhem at 185!

Post #4   3/7/13 9:15:29PM   

Tyzzler

MMA Regular

Tyzzler Avatar

Career:291-233
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

not really a big story to comment on one way or another but it's just really a shame that there's so many good fighters out there who get snubbed when these big name contenders float around getting quick title shots in different weight classes.

Every time they go to a Faber, Chael, Nick (if this happens), etc it takes a big chance away from a lesser known but deserving guy.

Now with all the rumors flying about Aldo moving up, Pettis down, Jones up, Cormier down, and so on, they really aren't letting the weight classes develop anymore. There's almost 400 guys on the roster but 350 of them aren't in the inner circle enough to ever really get a title shot.

Ok, I've been trying to wrap my head around your post before replying, but had to eventually give up. Am I to understand that when 1 undeserving fighter get's a title shot (or even moves up/down) the weight class is completely restricted to the point that it may not develop? "LETTING THE WEIGHT CLASSES DEVELOP" has absolutely NOTHING, whatsoever to do with who gets a title shot, deserving or not.
I wish you would elaborate a little more as to your ideal situation, as you only touch (or hate) on that which you see as wrong. All of you love to say how much Silva & GSP are beyond an ungodly level, and throw around "P4P" whenever possible. So Anderson is the best, ok, well there has only been 1 man ever to beat the hell out of him for 1 round, let alone 5. Even in the event of a loss, when a figher manhandles the largely considered best-ever, let him fight for any title he sees fit. Bendo has been unchallenged in his UFC, & lightweight career, by anyone EXCEPT for showtime. Aldo has, for a long time spoke of his move up to Lightweight (which NO ONE ever complained about) but when Pettis moves down to face him, in lieu of the guy he demolished, it's unfair?
And then you question the legitimacy of Urijah Faber???? Out of all Urijah is.....well...I mean he is....yes, completely undeserving of any title-fight for the rest of his life based on each of his last shots at it.

Post #5   3/7/13 9:17:09PM   

Tyzzler

MMA Regular

Tyzzler Avatar

Career:291-233
Chips:
Yet all of that is nothing but a secondary point to the painfully obvious shortcoming of your post, which glorifies the "development of weight classes" in lieu of "weight-shifters."
That being that, your post basically states a complete disregard for the entire concept of "superfights." After all, regardless of how many people would love to see (and how much money would roll in due to) a Silva-GSP / Silva-Jones fight, we should develop the lesser fighters who happen to have previously weighed in at a certain weight class, & let them get smashed by the Silvas, Jones, & GSPs...THAT is what would really build a weight class!!

Post #6   3/7/13 9:23:01PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

To be fair, I think the payday between Mayhem on a Strikeforce card and a fight only against the UFC Middleweight Champion for the title may have more than a little something to do with him saying that

Last edited 3/8/13 8:31AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/8/13 8:23:32AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by roadking95th

To be fair, I think the payday between Mayhem on a Strikeforce card and a fight only against the UFC Middleweight Champion for the title may have more than a little something to do with him saying that

Don't be bringing logic into this! I like my response the way it is.

Post #8   3/8/13 8:48:36AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Posted by Kpro

Posted by roadking95th

Don't be bringing logic into this! I like my response the way it is.

I'm not sure what I was thinking. The standard around here is that we don't take kindly to people who don't take kindly to people who don't take kindly to people who use logic 'round these parts.

Post #9   3/8/13 8:51:50AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,135-655
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Tyzzler

Posted by bootyclause

Ok, I've been trying to wrap my head around your post before replying, but had to eventually give up. Am I to understand that when 1 undeserving fighter get's a title shot (or even moves up/down) the weight class is completely restricted to the point that it may not develop? "LETTING THE WEIGHT CLASSES DEVELOP" has absolutely NOTHING, whatsoever to do with who gets a title shot, deserving or not.
I wish you would elaborate a little more as to your ideal situation, as you only touch (or hate) on that which you see as wrong. All of you love to say how much Silva & GSP are beyond an ungodly level, and throw around "P4P" whenever possible. So Anderson is the best, ok, well there has only been 1 man ever to beat the hell out of him for 1 round, let alone 5. Even in the event of a loss, when a figher manhandles the largely considered best-ever, let him fight for any title he sees fit. Bendo has been unchallenged in his UFC, & lightweight career, by anyone EXCEPT for showtime. Aldo has, for a long time spoke of his move up to Lightweight (which NO ONE ever complained about) but when Pettis moves down to face him, in lieu of the guy he demolished, it's unfair?
And then you question the legitimacy of Urijah Faber???? Out of all Urijah is.....well...I mean he is....yes, completely undeserving of any title-fight for the rest of his life based on each of his last shots at it.

I have almost no idea what I just read, but whatever this argument was you were trying to make, didn't even touch on what the poster you were attacking was saying. In fact, his post was so cohesive and readable, it took the same amount of time to read it as it did to understand it. He thinks big names are over stepping the little but more deserving names, which is clearly what is happening. I really don't know how this confused you or what your rant had to do with anything.
Are bigger names getting title shots before smaller names? Yes.
Are they more deserving? Always up for debate.

Post #10   3/8/13 10:22:22AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,766-1,018
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'd like to see Nick fight Andy. The last fighter with crazy power that stood with Nick was Semtex and that fight was AWESOME.

Post #11   3/8/13 12:06:27PM