Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Couture called it, and now he readies for Gonzaga

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Or perhaps he could have actually trained in the octagon. Never did before either of his UFC fights...little dissapointed in him, but he has been overconfident in a # of fights (didn't think Nog could submit him, and well randleman, gonzaga). I really hope this will be the last time he does this and just trains his ass off properly, and doesn't just study his opponenets when it's for a title.

well, if he does bounce back, only 3 fights left in his career anyway :P

fedor vs CC 2 *crosses fingers*

Post #16   6/12/07 8:20:31AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
If you do any research on CroCop, you will see he has beaten bigger and better fighters than Gonzaga, BUT... that is only based on what we have seen from Gonzaga thus far. Gonzaga could very well turn out to be just as good as those fighters.

Right now, the statement that CroCop could fight Gonzaga tonight and beat him is valid based on fight statistics, style, etc. CroCop has dominated submission artists in the past, and Gonzaga hasn't proved continually that he is a great standup fighter, even though he scored some KO victories. He is still considered a submission guy with his ju-jitsu with some good standup. CroCop has beaten numerous submission guys:

Josh Barnett: TWICE he injured him to win.
Kevin Randleman: NCAA Wrestling Champion
Mark Coleman: World Class Wrestler

CroCop no doubt can beat submission guys,and in all of those fights, he beat them while GnPing them during the match as well. Barnett in particular, he pounded to the point that he could not continue. To conclude that research, you could safely say that CroCop should have no problem against someone such as Gonzaga. But, when you throw elbows in the mix, as CroCop has been quoted in saying that they did blur his vision and cause him to slow his reactions, and the non-training by CroCop in elbow defense and the new ring, he was beatable.

But now we are talking about a new Mirko coming into another fight where he has trained. He's very quick, throws straight punches, heavy kicks, and takes very good advantage of mistakes. I doubt Gonzaga will be a match for him the 2nd time around. I think Gonzaga matches up well with Couture though, should be interesting.

Gonzaga has proved to beat a world class striker, but I believe it was luck. Gonzaga lost to a World Class ju-jitsu guy, and not by submission, but by strikes in Werdum, so it is my belief that he isn't a top of the mill champion yet.

Post #17   7/10/07 3:29:20PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Mirko is an amazing fighter,but looking back at GG brutal KO win over the Croation,I can't help but to think back a few years ago.I remember a time when I thought Igor Vovchanchyn was pretty much unstopable.Then I see this guy I had never herd of that they called Crocop,who was supposedly some awesome kickboxer,totaly deystroy Vovchanchyn with this devistating kick to his head.While I can't say Igor lost his fighting spirit or skills after that fight,I do belive Mirko was a fighter that represented a wave of talent that was to soon sweep through the world of MMA.I sometimes wonder if GG's win over Crocop is pretty much a history of a sports evolution repeating itself.While I would never say Crocop is out of the game after that fight,I can't help but to think of how many other fighters who are up and coming to the sport would have the same shot that Gonzoga did at taking out Crocop.I guess only time will tell.

Post #18   7/10/07 7:20:11PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
kevin randleman and mark coleman are submission fighters?! That's news to me. CroCop is a great fighter but he is overrated. You can't just be good at one thing and expect to win consistently. If you're weak in one area guaranteed someone else will be strong in that area and even if you are devastating in one aspect of the game, if you always come out with the exact same gameplan people are going to wise up and fight specifically to counter it. You have to be dynamic, and Mirko just isn't.

One of the best strikers in the history of the sport, but he isn't well-rounded enough and he always comes out with the same strategy.

Post #19   7/10/07 8:25:03PM   

boob

MMA Regular

boob Avatar

Career:849-537
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
I have to disagree with you about Cro Cop being overrated...
With first round wins over Josh Barnett Twice, Wandi, Coleman, Randleman, Emelianenko, Waterman and Herring. And those Are just first round wins!

Post #20   7/11/07 3:14:11PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

I have to disagree with you about Cro Cop being overrated...
dude he never has beat fedor are you kidding me fedor is undefeated besides one loss and it was a long time ago and it was do to referee stoppage do to a cut.

Post #21   7/11/07 5:37:03PM   

MississippiRed

Learning to Sprawl

MississippiRed Avatar

Career:379-246
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
He beat Aleks, Fedor's brother.

Red

Post #22   7/12/07 2:16:41PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
Cro cop is not overrated! Who else has went the distance with Fedor like he did? He gave Fedor a run for his money. Also, I think Gonzaga's game plan was to catch a kick, no matter how bad it hurt, and tackle him ASAP. He had a good gameplan on taking cro cop down and pounding him with elbows (something hes never experienced). Mirko said his vision was fuzzy due to elbows and then was hit with the kick to the head which he probably didnt even see.

Next fight you will see the real Mirko. He is getting focused again.

Post #23   7/13/07 11:33:17AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
Big Nog went the distance with Fedor twice

Post #24   7/13/07 11:42:29AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
yep but so did cro cop. that just shows you his calibre. not many can do it and not many have.

Post #25   7/13/07 12:17:53PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:
someone told me that in their last fight that Cro Cop took a punch that screwed w/ his vision. If that's true then the next fight should be completely oppisite. I meen how many times have you seen Mirko lose by a massive kick to the head-(his signature move!)

Post #26   7/13/07 12:24:55PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Or perhaps he could have actually trained in the octagon. Never did before either of his UFC fights...little dissapointed in him, but he has been overconfident in a # of fights (didn't think Nog could submit him, and well randleman, gonzaga). I really hope this will be the last time he does this and just trains his ass off properly, and doesn't just study his opponenets when it's for a title.

He's over rated and Ive seen all his fights.

Post #27   7/31/07 11:52:50AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Congradulations so have I. How the hell can you be overrated when you beat, Barnett x3, wanderlei, yoshida, coleman, randleman, Igor, aleks, sakuraba , waterman, herring, and fujita x2? Thats just his noteable pride fights. He's overrated because he's one dimensional? How the hell do you know that? He doesn't like going to the ground because his strength is standup. So I guess this mean your hero chuck liddell is overrated(one submission)? Wanderlei's overrated(Mirko has as many submission victories as him)? . I could keep going and going about people no one calls overrated. Then again Mirko did lose his last fight, which means he's terrible right? Wrong He lost one fight, everyone loses a fight(except fedor). Some think that fight was a fluke, some think it was preparation, but we'll never know until gg takes the belt, Mirko beats kongo and whoever else and they meet again for the title. So before you go spouting off rediculous things like one of the best fighters in the world who has fought all the top competition is overrated, please look it up or something.

Post #28   7/31/07 12:27:09PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I believe that Pride heavyweights are overrated. For so long they have been called the best in the world. Well, the heavyweights have yet to prove themselves in the Octagon. Until they do, they are overrated.

Post #29   7/31/07 1:02:52PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
So what your saying is that if they havnt fought in an octagon then there entire careers mean nothing. Why do they need to prove themselves in the octagon when they have already done it in a ring, the truth is without the addition of prides heavies ufc HW division would be pretty weak and not all of prides HW are overated.

Post #30   7/31/07 3:02:04PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3