Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should MMA promotions/commissions allow fighters to smoke Marijuana?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
No. Its just like any job. You cant be using. Its a rule. Some fighters are just way too dumb to follow it. As much as I would love to get high, my job doesnt allow it. I would love to keep my job, so i dont break the rules. Its very simply.

Post #16   2/28/13 10:36:55AM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:986-629
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

No. Its just like any job. You cant be using. Its a rule. Some fighters are just way too dumb to follow it. As much as I would love to get high, my job doesnt allow it. I would love to keep my job, so i dont break the rules. Its very simply.

if they did allow it like they allow TRT would you?

Post #17   2/28/13 1:37:18PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

first off, TRT IS NOT A PED. taken correctly and monitored by the commission and doctors, TRT will get fighters the hormone levels they should be but are not. i cant believe people still think TRT is a PED. testosterone is a hormone and if someone's levels are low than it needs to be treated like any other medical condition. the only time it becomes a PED is if its abused, same as any prescription medication.

Sorry man, but this is pretty far into the atmosphere. If they take anything to improve anything then it is a PED. You are literally taking it to enhance your performance to the level it used to be. So yes, it is a PED. However, like you said if taken correctly and monitored, it is within reason to say that fighters may use it (still enhancing their performance, but within reason). I may be incorrect, but I believe you are allowed to have up to 4:1 levels, when normal is 1:1. Already that should send up a red flag, because it isn't "replacement" therapy anymore, it is enhancement.

As for the "employers can choose not to employ such people", that's fine and all, but firstly it isn't the employer doing the testing (and no, not just sending you off to some place to get tested), it is the commission. They are the ones making the rules regarding these tests, whether or not the employer decides to cut someone as a result is up to them. The issue at hand is that one drug is clearly used to enhance performance, and is considered acceptable even at elevated ranges (provided you have your little doctor note). This is the true issue, should a fighter be able to get an exemption for reefer madness provided they can get some doctor to sign off on it? If the commission says no (which should also send up a red flag, as they seem to have no problems with elevated levels of testosterone as long as some guy in a white coat says it's okay), then all fighters who test positive will have their fights overturned if they win. My take on this is the commissions may very well be in Pharm's pocket, or else they would either have a zero tolerance policy or not allow people to blatantly abuse the system.

Post #18   2/28/13 3:51:30PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Chips:
Also I would like to point out the amusing juxtaposition that a smoking marijuana thread was started by someone with the handle "LungsofSteel"

Post #19   2/28/13 3:53:33PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Posted by Theoutlaw08

if they did allow it like they allow TRT would you?

No, I grew out of that phase of my life. I was big into it during high school and a year or so after. Then i decided to give it up.

Post #20   2/28/13 4:00:32PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Sorry man, but this is pretty far into the atmosphere. If they take anything to improve anything then it is a PED. You are literally taking it to enhance your performance to the level it used to be. So yes, it is a PED.

so then taking creatine, protein powder, energy drinks, gatorade, or w/e are PED's too no?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #21   2/28/13 11:38:41PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by airkerma

Sorry man, but this is pretty far into the atmosphere. If they take anything to improve anything then it is a PED. You are literally taking it to enhance your performance to the level it used to be. So yes, it is a PED.

so then taking creatine, protein powder, energy drinks, gatorade, or w/e are PED's too no?

If you think gatorade is a drug then I suppose anything is possible. I could rephrase my sentence to make it more explicit, but playing dumb regarding a steroid vs protein shakes really isn't particularly persuasive. As for creatine, that is a bit more relevant, though it's effects are much more tame than an anabolic steroid, you could certainly consider it a form of a PED by the literal definition. The difference is, one is over the counter and not banned, the other is the opposite. My original point, which you excluded, was that in no way can you consider testosterone artificially introduced to the body not a PED.

Last edited 3/1/13 11:00AM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   3/1/13 10:43:42AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by airkerma

If you think gatorade is a drug then I suppose anything is possible. I could rephrase my sentence to make it more explicit, but playing dumb regarding a steroid vs protein shakes really isn't particularly persuasive. As for creatine, that is a bit more relevant, though it's effects are much more tame than an anabolic steroid, you could certainly consider it a form of a PED by the literal definition. The difference is, one is over the counter and not banned, the other is the opposite. My original point, which you excluded, was that in no way can you consider testosterone artificially introduced to the body not a PED.

mission accomplished

btw I forgot to include the ...ma bad

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #23   3/1/13 11:55:31AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2