Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matthew Riddle again tests positive for marijuana, cut from UFC

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

One_Hit_Quit

MMA Regular

One_Hit_Quit Avatar

Career:2,163-1,202
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Why can't these guys get a TUE for marijuana? It makes more sense than a TUE for testosterone.

Post #16   2/27/13 3:00:06AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Yeah, if there's any kind of serious, deep dive medical overhaul in MMA, medicinal marijuana should be on the table. Do I think it should get a pass? I don't know enough to make that call, obviously, because it would've been my job to get it done. But between Nick Diaz's anxiety attacks and Riddle's comments that weed prevents him from beating his kids, these guys have some real issues that are addressed by an easily obtainable, easily consumed, and easily managed substance.

Should they be fighting? If they manage their shit and it doesn't give them a physical advantage, I don't see why not. It's a little like not hiring a qualified clerk who takes antidepressants. I emphasize little - I think the comparison is too simple to use it equally, but it's worth investigating.

Post #17   2/27/13 3:14:06AM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
heres my stance on weed in mma: its against the rules. whether it helps ur performance or hurts it doesnt matter. its against the rules. period. if u dont like the rules then do everything u can to try and get them changed. but until u get them changed, follow them or suffer the consequences. if its against the rules to smoke weed and u do it anyways, youre a cheater. breaking the rules is cheating. plain and simple

Post #18   2/27/13 3:23:15AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I actually agree. It's been one of my main points whenever anyone claims Nick Diaz is blameless. A fighter take one of these substances, they get caught, the consequences are on them.

No, the bigger thing is that, beyond any reductive jokes of 420 Daze, some fighters have legitimate issues that are resolved with medical mary jane. They're willing to risk getting popped so they can get their heads right. Whatever the results of a serious study are, it's worth that serious study.

Post #19   2/27/13 3:36:34AM   

tattflash

In Full Mount

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,435-1,753
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think the issue is more a case of telling everyone he was gonna lay n pray on Mills and done basically that. Its about excitement with Dana and if you are letting the world know you plan to fight the opposite to that, then Dana wont need many legit reasons to fire you. I am sure if Riddle had came out all guns blazing and banged with Mills and put a good show, he would of kept his job even if he had lost

Post #20   2/27/13 5:54:28AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by One_Hit_Quit

Why can't these guys get a TUE for marijuana? It makes more sense than a TUE for testosterone.

Thiiiiiiiiiiissssssss!!!!!!!!
When you're allowed to have elevated levels for "replacement" therapy for something that is a clear ped, it only makes sense that you should be made medically exempt from something that is not a ped provided a physician approves it.

Post #21   2/27/13 7:34:20AM   

Kevro

MMA Regular

Kevro Avatar

Career:678-510
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Ask yourself this; If Overreem tested positive for weed would he be cut? NO.

UFC= HYPOCRITES. Dana white needs to adress which is more harmful to UFC fighters, Steroids or a plant that makes you feel good and makes you eat? With overreem not being cut and testing positive for pretty much horse steroids then firing matt riddle? Yea PROTECT YOUR FIGHTERS UFC. ( and by that i mean money )

Cut the CHEATERS.

Post #22   2/27/13 8:10:52AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:
Some of you are missing the point.

Riddle didn't get cut because of smoking weed, he got cut because people don't want to pay to watch him fight. Failing a test for weed was just the conveinient excuse he provided Zuffa to cut him.

Post #23   2/27/13 8:34:17AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Some of you are missing the point.

Riddle didn't get cut because of smoking weed, he got cut because people don't want to pay to watch him fight. Failing a test for weed was just the conveinient excuse he provided Zuffa to cut him.

So basically the UFC is sending the message that they don't want smart fighters and good strategy. They want sloppy brawls and shit. It's absurd. Because up until a few fights ago people were complaining how Riddle had no fight IQ and wasnt using his wrestling, now he uses his wrestling, wins and gets cut for it.

Post #24   2/27/13 8:37:01AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Riddle was an idiot anyways, screw him. What a dumbass

Post #25   2/27/13 8:45:36AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
this is the stupidest thing ive seen in a while

but i guess smoking pot makes you move faster and makes you more ambitious...

Post #26   2/27/13 9:04:33AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Shawn91111

Riddle was an idiot anyways, screw him. What a dumbass

I actually had a conversation with him a few years ago he's a nice enough guy. Maybe should have quit smoking 4 weeks out but hey what ya gonna do.

Post #27   2/27/13 9:44:13AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This calls for the appearance of..........

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #28   2/27/13 10:02:49AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Chips:
It's not like he got nailed for steroids, and others that have are still on the roster, but if he's too stupid to not take some time off knowing he's going to get tested then how can I feel bad for him in the least?

Yeah he has his card, but at least 80% of the people with a card for medical marijuana are recreational users that don't need it. People with cancer, glaucoma, etc, they "need" it. The majority are people that go to doctors that make their living off of giving out cards for "reasons" like ADD. They are recreational users that want to do it within the system. That's totally cool by me, but I hope people don't get it skewed and say he "needs" it .

He'll be fine and end up somewhere, but like anyone in any line of work, there's a level of professionalism that you have to follow if you want to get the most out of your career. If you don't want to do that, fine, but then there's no complaining about it if you feel like you should have more than what you have.

Post #29   2/27/13 10:38:50AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Kevro

. Dana white needs to adress which is more harmful to UFC fighters, Steroids or a plant that makes you feel good and makes you eat?

I'm not sure either is all that harmful

Post #30   2/27/13 11:03:12AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3